Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He always looks like that when he isn’t scoring. Was same last season. Seems like he’s one of those who puts himself under a lot of pressure - think Smith has said in the past he’s his own worst critic.

But IMO we clearly look much better with him in the side, regardless of whether he’s tucking every single chance away. He’s just a nightmare for defenders to play against.

You beat me to it, but yeah, pretty much this. He'll be fine.

• Like 2

Last season it was alot of him banging in alot of our goals, this season there are more scorers all over the team and I am fine with it.

Watkins does a grand job without scoring that so long as were getting goals from other areas then the team is doing there job.

Teams are so used to playing against 1 striker these days, were definitely benefitting from this. Him and Ings are causing plenty of problems giving the midfield more space and time. 

I'm not worried yet, he will score. I just feel he isn't passing to Ings in that final third which he should be if Ings is open. 

I can't believe the amount of criticism he's getting for his performance against Man Utd, I thought he was better than Ings, which when you consider the formation that we played and the players we had on the pitch it pretty much means he was our best attacker in a game where we dominated Man Utd away from and could have scored many more, we wouldn't have been able to play like we did if he was as bad as people are making out.

• Like 1

I think he really needs a goal. His work rate has been great as usual, but his finishing is definetley lacking confidence. I think he feels the pressure. And Ings hasn't scored since Watkins came back, so maybe that's adding to the pressure.

On 26/09/2021 at 18:28, Made In Aston said:

There was a rumour a few weeks back that Ollie has a hernia. If so it might explain why he hasn't got last season's heights yet. 

His running on the pitch does not suggest he is covering a hernia, I can't see that as a reason for not scoring. I think it is just Ollie is not a natural finisher, some people are and some are not. He still contributes hugely to the team and I wouldn't drop him nor sell him. I expect he will bag about a dozen goals in the league this season and I am happy with that output. I am not expecting him to turn into a 25 goal PL striker

His second full year in the PL was always going to ore challenging. He’s had an interrupted start to the season, but he’s still getting into those positions to score, just needs to be more clinical, it will come.

He has been less of a goal threat the last 2 games but our over reliance on him last year was not great for the team because in the games he didn't perform we had no threat.

At the moment there seems to be a goals across the entire team, once Watkins and Ings click we could do some damage, we've won two games on the bounce without either scoring which is a great position to be in.

Â