Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling a bit sorry for Ollie? 

Last season's top scorer, started the season injured and Ings took his chances well. System change seems to have taken the spotlight off Ollie a bit. I hope it doesn't affect his game/spirit and he starts firing the goals in again soon. 

I still think he is fabulous....His work rate and how he pre-occupies CB's is valuable....He got through so much work yesterday.

if he wasn't there , they( CB's) would creep up higher and press.

The goals will come....Ollie is crucial to us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling a bit sorry for Ollie? 

Last season's top scorer, started the season injured and Ings took his chances well. System change seems to have taken the spotlight off Ollie a bit. I hope it doesn't affect his game/spirit and he starts firing the goals in again soon. 

Other than our keeper there is now no longer a player in the squad we would be devastated if they missed a game or two. That is a fantastic place to be as a squad. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Other than our keeper there is now no longer a player in the squad we would be devastated if they missed a game or two. That is a fantastic place to be as a squad. 

Mings. That is a fact. We conceded vs Brentford because he didn't play. I'd also say missing both of Targett and cash would leave us in the lurch a bit but I guess we'd play tuanzebe or Konsa rb. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Great to have him back but he was dominated by Mina yesterday. Did better when he tried to stick to Keane.

Quiet game but we're far better with him in the side

I thought the opposite. Happy to go up against Mina but the chances didn't fall for him. Everytime he pressed, Everton went long, we won the ball back. 

So under appreciated and could have been picked out by his team mates a little more in good positions. Look at his sprint for Bailey's goal, others wouldn't have bothered.

I think he and Martinez are our best players.

6 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I thought the opposite. Happy to go up against Mina but the chances didn't fall for him. Everytime he pressed, Everton went long, we won the ball back. 

So under appreciated and could have been picked out by his team mates a little more in good positions. Look at his sprint for Bailey's goal, others wouldn't have bothered.

I think he and Martinez are our best players.

Nah sorry Mina physically dominated him. 

I agree he’s one of our best players, but last night wasn’t his strongest performance from a physical point of view

It's funny. 

Villa fans used to criticize Southgate for banging on Mounts work rate yet this is the same attribute the same people can't stop praise Ollie for. 

Like it or not. In the modern game work rate beats raw talent a lot of the time. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah sorry Mina physically dominated him. 

I agree he’s one of our best players, but last night wasn’t his strongest performance from a physical point of view

It's funny because Mina was physically dominated by Wesley in this fixture a couple of seasons back. 

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's funny. 

Villa fans used to criticize Southgate for banging on Mounts work rate yet this is the same attribute the same people can't stop praise Ollie for. 

Like it or not. In the modern game work rate beats raw talent a lot of the time. 

Yeah but that's because everyone was up Jacks arse, and anyone they felt was keeping him out of the team, was a target.

Personally, I don't think it was based on ACTUAL reality. lol

His pressing was phenomenal yesterday, never gave them a second and whatever about mina dominating him physically, he had mina panicking on the ball numerous times.

Incredible workrate, and very important to how we play, however needs to work on his ball control and be stronger in possession as the game nearly went the other way, when he lost it and Everton had a decent chance right before we got our first, this happened a few times last season and directly led to goals.

Top player, and we're a better side with him on the pitch.

On 19/09/2021 at 21:07, villalad21 said:

It's funny. 

Tbh I don’t see Mounts workrate, not saying he’s lazy but Ollie workrate is Ji Sung Park level , you need a mix of both in a successful team, Brett Holman and Weimann worked hard would you have them in the side?

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 22:42, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah but that's because everyone was up Jacks arse, and anyone they felt was keeping him out of the team, was a target.

Personally, I don't think it was based on ACTUAL reality. lol

As much as I know ignore his existence Gresford > Mount all day every day. 

I don't see why people praising Watkins' work rate has got anything to do with his talent. Luckily for us he has both in abundance and I think he'll improve too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

important games coming up; a chance to get back in to the England squad with Calvert - Lewin still out injured. But needs to show some current form to get picked alongside Kane and ..erm... Bamford

I think it's actually better to be in bad form to get in the squad. Watkins was in a lull when he got called up while Bamford was firing and then this time round Bamford was struggling and Ings was flying and he got his call up. Basically from what I can see Southgate likes to pick strikers out of form.

28 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I think it's actually better to be in bad form to get in the squad. Watkins was in a lull when he got called up while Bamford was firing and then this time round Bamford was struggling and Ings was flying and he got his call up. Basically from what I can see Southgate likes to pick strikers out of form.

unnamed.jpg

• Haha 1

Â