Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Watkins is a great player for us but we’re not talking about a Jack Grealish level player here. 

He can be replaced. It might cost a lot to do it, but there will be players out there that can do what he does who will want to join us.

Replacing JG was impossible because the best players in Europe aren’t in a rush to join us. Especially ones that cost 100m. He was irreplaceable to us as he would be to any team. 

If Watkins leaves in the future, so be it, it will be for a lot of money and we’ll improve as a result.

Might be a somewhat cynical view, but I agree. Grealish was special, but we've seemingly been able to adapt and "replace him in the aggregate", and so losing Watkins would hurt, but I have more faith than ever in the club being able to replace him too.

That said I love the guy, and definitely don't want him to go, he brings so much to how we want to play at the moment.

3 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Arsenal looking at Calvert lewin or Watkins to replace lacazette!!! Strikes me as incredibly optimistic of them that they could afford either of those two before we even get to the question of trying to convince them to join a fading force like arsenal

I think Arsenal will finish above us again. It’s a bit early to call them a fading force. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think Arsenal will finish above us again. It’s a bit early to call them a fading force. 

I would call Arsenal a faded force. In that I mean, they have probably fallen as far as they will, and also when you compare them now to when they were challenging for titles. Their nadir is probably around mid table. Their size and potential, commercially, means you'd have to really make a mess of running the club to even come close to relegation. I mean imagine if Burnley or some similar size club was being run like Arsenal has the past few years. They'd probably have fallen into administration and suffered multiple relegations at this stage.

25 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Ollie and his family support Arsenal so you’d imagine he’d want the move if a serious offer came in, regardless of where the 2 clubs finish

Pretty sure this summer has taught us quite a bit about how much modern-day players value playing for the club they support...

I think Ollie loves playing under Deano, to be honest. I can't see him leaving while he's still our manager.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Pretty sure this summer has taught us quite a bit about how much modern-day players value playing for the club they support...

I think Ollie loves playing under Deano, to be honest. I can't see him leaving while he's still our manager.

Difference being Jack had been at Villa his whole life and Ollie will see Arsenal as the pinnacle of his personal journey

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Difference being Jack had been at Villa his whole life and Ollie will see Arsenal as the pinnacle of his personal journey

Not necessarily! It seems more about ambition and money these days, the personal fandom is far far down the list of determination of direction of career, if at all unless it fits the narrative.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not necessarily! It seems more about ambition and money these days, the personal fandom is far far down the list of determination of direction of career, if at all unless it fits the narrative.

Yeah, I think players 'supporting' a club is a lot different to you and I supporting a club. I mean, he slammed 3 goals past the club he 'supports' over two games last season, whereas if we were pro footballers, we wouldn't really want to score against Villa... and this is the difference in mindset between them and us. I don't think it much factors into anything anymore.

Read a bit of Twitterverse to see Arsenal fans view of Watkins…why I don’t know and yes I know Twitter isn’t the place to get real Arsenal fans views but even for them they are away with the fairies.  

Questioning why they are linked with ‘average DCL and Watkins’, why aren’t they targeting Haaland if they were serious was mentioned too many times not to laugh at them.  

These people just live on a different planet.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think you're a bit naive then, unfortunately.

On the positive note, even though he is an Arsenal fan I can’t see him pushing for a move there or Arsenal paying the significant fee it would cost.  Maybe be different if an elite club in CL came in for him.

Edited by nick76

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Will he?

Good to know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Read a bit of Twitterverse to see Arsenal fans view of Watkins…why I don’t know and yes I know Twitter isn’t the place to get real Arsenal fans views but even for them they are away with the fairies.  

Questioning why they are linked with ‘average DCL and Watkins’, why aren’t they targeting Haaland if they were serious was mentioned too many times not to laugh at them.  

These people just live on a different planet.

They thought they had a chance to sign Grealish. Absolutely mental.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think you're a bit naive then, unfortunately.

Slightly unnecessary personal dig aside, I'm basing this on the fact he has spoken about enjoying working with Smith at Brentford and continuing their professional relationship was a key factor in him moving to Villa.
I don't think it's beyond reason to suggest he would like this to continue, especially as he's doing so well under his management. 

Â