Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Mark my word's, this partnership ain't gonna work, it's not even near.

I’m going to give it a chance rather than a couple of games whether they play as a 2 or in a 3 in whatever formation going forwards.

• Like 1

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Why does it have to work to justify both of them in the squad. Are we not allowed to have depth at striker. 

He’s talking about them both playing in the team as a pair not both in the squad.

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Why does it have to work to justify both of them in the squad. Are we not allowed to have depth at striker. 

I also agree with this.  If one misses out in some games then it doesn’t mean we need to sell.  We can alternate, mix it up etc as well

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m going to give it a chance rather than a couple of games whether they play as a 2 or in a 3 in whatever formation going forwards.

When was the last good strike partnership in the Premier League? 

I can see it potentially working with Watkins on the left of the three with Ings in the middle and Bailey on the right. 

1 minute ago, jim said:

I can see it potentially working with Watkins on the left of the three with Ings in the middle and Bailey on the right. 

Been talked about to death in other threads throughout the summer but people get into semantics about players positioning but plenty of current teams play with forwards that form great partnerships.

• Like 1

Been talked about to death in other threads throughout the summer but people get into semantics about players positioning but plenty of current teams play with forwards that form great partnerships.

Who’s that then that play a front two? 

13 minutes ago, jim said:

Probably DCL and Richarlison. Ancelotti used  4-4-2 quite a bit, or even when he didn't their heatmaps/starting positions would be that of a partnership up top.

6 minutes ago, jim said:

Again you go straight to a front two but partnerships can be made within a front three that teams with three forwards (not wide players) like Liverpool can have great partnerships within them that work well like Salah and Mane do as we saw on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Probably DCL and Richarlison. Ancelotti used  4-4-2 quite a bit, or even when he didn't their heatmaps/starting positions would be that of a partnership up top.

Vardy and Iheanacho may do well as they started to play as a front two recently

• Like 1

Again you go straight to a front two but partnerships can be made within a front three that teams with three forwards (not wide players) like Liverpool can have great partnerships within them that work well like Salah and Mane do as we saw on Sunday.

Well yes, because that is how they have been playing. 

But they have never played as the main striker like Ing's and Watkin's have. So unless we go back to the drawing board, I can't see how 2 selfish Strikers can link together, it just won't work as they both will want the goals.

To be fair Ing's ain't been doing to bad as he is tracking back, but Watkin's just wants the goals and who can blame him, he has been our number one until now. Also at the moment I feel we are wasting Ing's and he is the better finisher.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can't see how 2 selfish Strikers can link together, it just won't work as they both will want the goals.

Selfish…more than Salah and Mane or Greenwood and Ronaldo for example…so I don’t agree.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be fair Ing's ain't been doing to bad as he is tracking back, but Watkin's just wants the goals and who can blame him, he has been our number one until now. Also at the moment I feel we are wasting Ing's and he is the better finisher.

Also, while an old system, it was in effect for 100+ years so having two strikers has its merits we just have some in-vogue formations at the moment that may stay or may fall out of favour.

Ings and Watkins are also very different strikers so it could work together because they aren’t tripping over each other.  I still feel a Liverpool style front three forwards (not wide) of Watkins, Ings and Bailey in whatever combination will be where we end up.

I agree we are wasting Ings at the moment but for me that isn’t because of Watkins but we haven’t been creating anything for our forwards and that’s because we haven’t had Bailey, Buendia or Traore on the field for any decent length of time, whether 1 or 2 of them.  We’ve also had some tough games recently and injuries so hopefully the coming months that will change and we can use both Watkins and Ings better.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

£55million and buy Alvarez to replace him … love him to bits and be sad to see him go and nor do I want him, but that said every player has their value and if met he will have a big decision to make. 

Buy some completely untested player to replace him? We'd be very hard pressed to properly replace Watkins in this market. He's probably the best striker a team at our level could have...and we have him. Ironically, Ings is the only other striker I would have mentioned...and we have him too!

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's gonna be very difficult to get Ing's and Watkin's to link up, as they both want the goals and both want to be number 1. It's not really a option to bench one or the other either, as Watkin's being the number 1 last season won't be happy and Ing's has obviously been brought in to play not sit on the bench.

As @thabucks said, I wouldn't mind selling him, if we were to bring in that much needed 50m+ defensive midfielder. Just my opinion but I believe Ing's is the better finisher and will score more goals than Watkin's, he seems to miss many more than he actually scores.

A bit of service might help.

3 hours ago, jim said:

Barnes & Woods/Rodriguez

Iheanacho & Vardy

Joelinton & Wilson

A lot is down to interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...
Â