Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

For a long time the youth set up has been underachieving but the new (ish) owners are turning this around. We should be a real magnet for promising youngsters in the region certainly and also within England. We have a great set up at Bodymoor and with this proposed academy by Witton station we are really putting the foundations in for sustained success. In the meantime Blues look like that they will be closing  their Academy so the city is ours.

Edited by The Fun Factory

To think I was seriously tempted by the 11/1 odds the bookies were offering for Liverpool -6. 

Someone mentioned in the match thread that if a second team of:

Heaton, Elmo, Hause, Engels, Taylor, Lansbury, Hourihane, Nakamba, Ramsey, Traore, Davis.

Got beat 4-1 against that plop team no one would have been particularly suprised or angry. I think that's probably the best compliment we can give the lads. Absolutely incredible achievement, I've not celebrated a goal like that for quote some time. 

Kesler got MOTM on I think sky by the look of his tweet and dream come true

With hindsight now the fear of getting ducked 10-0 has gone I'm glad it was Liverpool and I'm glad klopp went full strength and had to bring on £50m players to win the game, given he circumstances its probably the best outcome we could have had, would say a comprehensive 4-1 defeat to Palaces reserves generate the same emotions? 

We lost but weren't losers, I bet all 16 of them are buzzing their tits off this morning, it's a night they'll never forget and I don't think the fans will either, when a name pops up randomly on the subs bench it'll be "oh I remember him from the Liverpool game, he was quality that night" 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

They were just having a laugh out there, weren't they?

Yet another highly regarded member of our academy that wasn't even involved yesterday. I'm starting to wonder what would've happened if they'd all played.

I'm going to say they would've won, because nobody can prove me wrong.

I agree, would’ve got to penalties at worst

Stat from last night not being talked about much

We had 2 fouls against and 7 fouls for, which when you throw in possession was 17% to 83% starts to look even more impressive, it was like we couldn't get near them and there was a lot of last ditch tackling and blocking as well as some really tired bodies

It was just really well disciplined, no diving in, lots of standing them up and slowing them down, frustrating their attack, it's really impressive 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Stat from last night not being talked about much

We had 2 fouls against and 7 fouls for, which when you throw in possession was 17% to 83% starts to look even more impressive, it was like we couldn't get near them and there was a lot of last ditch tackling and blocking as well as some really tired bodies

It was just really well disciplined, no diving in, lots of standing them up and slowing them down, frustrating their attack, it's really impressive 

We do churn out technically proficient players, it’s just the last ten years have been not the right environment to blood youngsters aside from Jack who could cope. 

The first page list of player topics is like a glimpse into the future, I love it.

Most I’ve celebrated a goal all season, and largely because of what it would mean for those young men rather than the result. Absolutely brilliant.

We are actually in a position to blood some or these guys now with relatively no pressure. So any injuries and rotation sorry senior pros. You're out. Conor. Lansbury. Taylor. Your days are numbered.

Might even pursued a few of them to take a pay cut and do one

They ain't getting back in.

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

The first page list of player topics is like a glimpse into the future, I love it.

Most I’ve celebrated a goal all season, and largely because of what it would mean for those young men rather than the result. Absolutely brilliant.

This. The future is bright.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

An FA Youth Cup run would be fantastic for this group.

I think they have the talent to do very well in it, and it'd be quite the story given that most of them will now have played in the tournament proper.

I think we can win it, really fancy us to do so.

• Like 1

The problem with youth is consistency. One off performances are great, but ultimately it’s the ability to make that step to senior football that defines them as players. Some really good performances last night, not just technically but physically stood up to Liverpool’s  players. 3-4 players really stood out to me and will be interesting to see how they develop over the next couple of seasons and whether they can make that step and break into the first team squad.

8 hours ago, QldVilla said:

The problem with youth is consistency. One off performances are great, but ultimately it’s the ability to make that step to senior football that defines them as players. Some really good performances last night, not just technically but physically stood up to Liverpool’s  players. 3-4 players really stood out to me and will be interesting to see how they develop over the next couple of seasons and whether they can make that step and break into the first team squad.

I wouldn't agree that that's a youth problem - for me, the biggest issue with young players is the mental side of the game. Some stand out at youth level but can't hack the nerves or simply don't have the composure to kick on. You look at the Louie Barry finish, and that is the sort of thing you can't really teach - the ability to hold your nerve and perform in the clutch. Some players have that, some don't. The ones who don't may gradually get there through experience, but it can take a long time. 

• Like 1

Â