Academy General Topic

smetrov

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I wouldn't agree that that's a youth problem - for me, the biggest issue with young players is the mental side of the game. Some stand out at youth level but can't hack the nerves or simply don't have the composure to kick on. You look at the Louie Barry finish, and that is the sort of thing you can't really teach - the ability to hold your nerve and perform in the clutch. Some players have that, some don't. The ones who don't may gradually get there through experience, but it can take a long time. 

You can't judge what earning £20k a week will do will to a 18 year old, you then see the likes of Hudson Odoi get the get a move to bayern rejected by Chelsea, £100k a week thrown his way and then 2 players bought ahead of him in the pecking order... Where do you think his head is right now? He almost certainly won't fulfill his potential but the finger shouldn't be pointed at him 

There's a lot that will happen between now and the age of 21 for these guys, complete lifestyle change that they can't prepare for 

On 08/01/2021 at 23:41, useless said:

Weekend after that it gets even more congested as our U18s have a league game and an FA Youth Cup game on the same day, and then the U23s have a game themselves the next day.

Brighton U18's have also got a league game on the same day as the Cup game - I'd think the Cup game will surely get moved?

I'm not sure what they'll do, we could probably field two decent U18 teams, seems unfair to expect us to play two games in one day in the same age category though, especially as we're doing well in the league so will want to do well and have our best players available for both games.

If not might have to use a few of the U16 players, I read somewhere that their season has been postponed but they're still allowed to train and play in older age groups, so if we're looking at phasing some of them into the U18 setup now might be a good time.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

I wouldn't agree that that's a youth problem - for me, the biggest issue with young players is the mental side of the game. Some stand out at youth level but can't hack the nerves or simply don't have the composure to kick on. You look at the Louie Barry finish, and that is the sort of thing you can't really teach - the ability to hold your nerve and perform in the clutch. Some players have that, some don't. The ones who don't may gradually get there through experience, but it can take a long time. 

The variance in performance levels is far greater at a junior level than it is at an elite level. Part of it is the mental side, but it’s reducing the variance in performance so it is consistently at a very high level. There’s a lot of different components as part of this, but it’s ultimately performing at a consistent high level.

• Like 1

Had a look on the FA website and it seems the 30th of January for the Brighton game isn't yet confirmed, that's just a deadline for the fixture to be completed by, so I'm guessing it might be brought forward.

• Like 1

According to Gregg Evans 'young players are unhappy at Blues due to confusion in the academy', with Villa and Wolves 'ready to pounce'. I know that some doubt what Evans says, but he was the first with the news that we were chasing Bogarde and Swinkels. No idea who's highly rated in their academy other than Jobe Bellingham.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, useless said:

According to Gregg Evans 'young players are unhappy at Blues due to confusion in the academy', with Villa and Wolves 'ready to pounce'. I know that some doubt what Evans says, but he was the first with the news that we were chasing Bogarde and Swinkels. No idea who's highly rated in their academy other than Jobe Bellingham.

yeah was going to come here and throw that out here. as you say he was the first with the news in the summer. Read also that they already let go a player to Liverpool as well 

Seems a lot of our youngsters get linked with moves to big clubs before signing new deals, happened with Philogene-Bidace and Chukwuemeka in the summer, and a few years back also with Hepburn-Murphy when he was being linked with Rangers and Man City, think that Green was being linked to Spurs before he signed a deal as well.

Apparently Ramsey's deal runs out this year, so as a highly rated youngster there's bound to be interest in him, hopefully we can convince him to stay.

Someone posted the Gregg Evans article about small heath's academy on another forum, and according to it we're targetting their best U13 player whoever that may be. Rico Browne also gets mentioned but not specifically with us.

13 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

This one would be a bit of a surprise

Celtic? Christ above. Just tell him to google "Celtic Dubai Coronavirus" to get an impression of how that club is being ran at the moment. Although they do have a pretty good record in buying young players and them going to become very good players. It's probably just his agent playing silly buggers.

16 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

This one would be a bit of a surprise

Attack_Pattern_Delta, Swansea, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago

Play Champions League football with Ajax or battle relegation with Villa. That's a tough one.

dummy_148x178.jpg?cb=2021115

Follyfooty, Armitage, United Kingdom, about a minute ago

What relegation battle, more like champions league qualification battle

Edited by Follyfoot

Â