Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Barry was wastefull a few times but you could still tell that he's a good player and you feel like he can make something happen every time he gets the ball. No surprise that he came up with the winner.

I don't think we played well, we look soft in the middle and poor without the ball, we made loads of errors, loads of poor decisions and spent a little bit too much time trying to look good - but, there's a lot of talent, Chukwuemeka is very, very good on the ball and in the first half was dominant, Barry got his goal in the end, but needs to get his head up, Young is a grafting poacher, I though Appiah was good and Revan before he went off.

I think there's a lot of room for improvement, but we're through to the fourth round, hopefully it's away so we get to see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Obviously some players just can't make the step up from youth football but I'd be extremely surprised if none of this batch of players are able to come through into the first team however many years down the line. 

We seem to have a couple real gems. 

Barry is quite frustrating to watch but is talent is there to see.

Carney impresses the more I see him, his weight of pass is so so good and he glides across the pitch.

I always like watching Kesler play as well, I think he has huge potential. It would be nice to have a fullback come through.

Bradley Young looked good too..

Bogarde was all over the place he's been much better in midfield compared to CB.

• Like 2

Good post VillaAlex. Carney was unbelievable tonight, easily the closest player to the first team based on that performance. If only we can keep Luiz for a couple more seasons we’d have a ready made replacement.

Barry disappointed me and looked a one trick pony always cutting in from LW to take a shot from outside the box with his right peg. Yes he won the pen for Brad Youngs first goal but wasted a good 6 shots. No pace either. LW not his position really.

Completely agree about Bogarde....why didn’t Swinkels start?

11 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Question is, is he like a young Stephen Ireland or a young Jack Grealish...

He’s neither but he’s real quality and Purslow’s comment about him being the best 16 y/o in the country last year all deserved.

For me he’s a younger and taller and maybe better version of Luiz.

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wow 🤨

20201215_230717.jpg

Need to be careful with it, we're playing a very young team and playing vs some of their first team men, it's a good learning exercise for them rather than assuming that all of our lot are ready and should be beating them 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Need to be careful with it, we're playing a very young team and playing vs some of their first team men, it's a good learning exercise for them rather than assuming that all of our lot are ready and should be beating them 

I agree but getting thumped like this by the likes of fleetwood i dont see how thats productive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree but getting thumped like this by the likes of fleetwood i dont see how thats productive

Physically they'll improve quicker by playing men. Even if it's 10 games a season. Next season against the same teams they'll dominate them physically.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked on the official site and according the fixture list we're due to play Reading at 12:00 on Saturday January 30th and then Brighton in the FA Youth cup on the same day at 19:00, seems a bit unfair to have to field two U18 sides, in the FA Cup we'll use some of our U23s players, but they're also playing on the 29th. That's if academy football is still going ahead at that point.

• Confused 1

On 30/09/2020 at 14:42, useless said:

Highly-rated young Dundee United defender Kerr Smith is set to sign for Aston Villa, Telegraph Sport can reveal.

The 16-year-old centre-back has been attracting interest from a host of big English Premiership clubs in recent weeks – Manchester United and Everton among them.

Evening Telegraph

Has signed a professional contract with Dundee United, despite having trials with both us and Manchester United.

• Like 2

Peterborough United have sold their highly-rated 13 year-old goalkeeper Sam Proctor to Premier League Aston Villa.

It’s understood Posh have received the maximum permitted £100k for Proctor. This will rise to £150k if Proctor signs a professional deal at Villa Park.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/posh-sell-13-year-old-goalkeeper-aston-villa-3083093

Highly-rated 13 year-old Posh goalkeeper wins England call-up as Premier League clubs monitor his progress

Sam Proctor, Peterborough United’s under 14 goalkeeper, has won a call-up to an under 15 England training camp.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/highly-rated-13-year-old-posh-goalkeeper-wins-england-call-premier-league-clubs-monitor-his-progress-3057602

• Like 2

Â