Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

I think tonight also showed why getting a link (affiliate club) with another club or two is going to be vital for the academy/U23s to continue to improve. This was a senior debut for most of the kids out there tonight. Getting some of the 18/19/20 y/o's out on loan for regular first team football is very important in their development 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just out of interest, what under 23 players were missing for us today? 

5 in total

2 x Ramsey, Philogene-Bidace, Chukwuemeka and I can't remember the last one 

EDIT - Tyriek Wright

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Thanks 1

Kesler played today, the players missing were Aaron Ramsey, Philogene-Bidace, Chukwuemeka, Seb Revan, and Tyreik Wright, DJ Campton Sturridge had been starting for the U23s before his injury as well. There's also Sinisalo and Archer who'd be first choice for the U23s if they weren't out on loan.

Of the players who started today the only ones that are regulars are the two central defenders, Kesler, and Barry, also Bogarde but he's only just broken into the U23 team. Like I said if every one is available we'll put out a stronger side in the FA Youth Cup game against Brighton in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

Milner said that one of our lot hadn't played for 2 months, does anyone know who that was?

Might even be the keeper who I thought did very well, Heaton has been playing the U23 games to get back up to speed

If not, maybe Walker, the lad who had been at Alvechurch, would assume they haven't been playing many games over the winter and with Covod Restrictions in place.

Edit: Looks like it was Walker, Alvechurchs last game was on the 3rd of November in a 2-0 loss to Nuneaton. Walker played the full '90

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Thanks 1

If half of our U23 players are still out next weekend then I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the U16s promoted to the U18 squad for the first time, so that some of the usual U18s can then play for the U23s, as we won't be able to use first team players like we did against Leeds U23s.

Weekend after that it gets even more congested as our U18s have a league game and an FA Youth Cup game on the same day, and then the U23s have a game themselves the next day.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

This is absolutely the time for the club to get onto this wave and improve our coverage of the U23's and the youth cup - if Brighton put the youth cup game on youtube there will be thousands and thousands of Villa fans on it wanting to see tonight's players again.

We're got some amazing young prospects and now everyone's seen them, we can't keep them hidden away - it's time we caught up with the rest of football and got some coverage going.

If those lads aren't the best, I can't wait to see the lads who were training with the first team

Echo everyone's thoughts that we have some really promising youngsters with Barry the most  likely to make it big but I'd like to give Walker a shout out, coming in last minute from Alvechurch with no football for 2 months and putting everything he had into the game for the full 90. Well done young man👏👏

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If those lads aren't the best, I can't wait to see the lads who were training with the first team

The missing players are mostly attackers. Wright and Philogene-Bidace are wingers/wide forwards. The latter has done particularly well this season, got a bunch of goals and assists, but he sometimes drifts in and out when I've seen him. Wright is more consistent but has less end product.

Aaron Ramsey has been in an attacking midfield position when I've seen him, he has a nice touch on him. Chukwuemeka is a bit more central, and has a good engine.

They're not light-years ahead of the players who played today, just a bit further on in their development. I feel sorry for them though, one or two of them might have started or come off the bench with the first team, and instead they got promoted then had to sit the game out. Hopefully a couple of them will get a spot on a 9-man bench at some point later in the season.

• Like 1

Â