Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

35 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Don't know anything about the lad, is he a top prospect I'm guessing from this?

I’ve never seen him play but yes apparently so, think we beat a lot of clubs to him, Arsenal, Juve and Dortmund amongst those who apparently wanted him.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve never seen him play but yes apparently so, think we beat a lot of clubs to him, Arsenal, Juve and Dortmund amongst those who apparently wanted him.

Might be seeing him tonight! 😂

According to Gregg Evans, he's expected to feature tonight, he only turned seventeen a few days ago, but shouldn't come as a surprised as he's already been promoted from the U18s to become a first choice midfielder for the U23s this season.

I've only seen him a couple of times on youtube streams, but looks a good player to me, when he first joined he was billed as a defender that can also play as a DM, so was surprised how decent he looks on the ball and going forward.

• Like 1

They all did us proud. Was fearing double figures especially after the early goal.

Get the feeling we need a loan manager though like a few clubs now have. You look at Revan at not far off 21 now and he's never played a senior minute in league football despite making our bench a few times two years ago. Mungo Bridge the same age which shocked me, has he been injured?

Surely has to go out next month along with a few others in next 6 months as many showed they can hold their own in football league. Just about finding them the right club.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Not even what you'd call our strongest academy lineup we could make and yet they still matched Liverpool for 60 minutes. The fitness and quality past that point was always going to be a serious struggle but every single one of them should be delighted with how they've performed. 

A real positive sign towards the progress of our academy and the future of these players. 

It's always difficult to tell which players will turn their potential into genuine quality, but I think we can be confident that we've got an academy that is attracting really good players and giving them proper experience of playing football. It's great to hear about all these 17 year olds we have playing in the U23s.

I agree with what other posters are saying about organising loans. That said, I guess the people in charge of the Academy probably know more about the topic than I do so maybe there's a good reason why more of the kids aren't out on loan :P

**** me they did well.

C. Rowe I thought had a really strong game, he kept his own against one of the best wide forwards in the world.

Bridge and Revan both put their bodies on the line, they'll learn to get a bit closer and not give that extra second to forwards - even Mings and Konsa were doing the same last season, it can be taught. Really liked Bridges desire to get forwards, does he play in midfield sometimes? He made a couple of runs 

Kessler I thought showed some promise too, did alright defensively and put in some dangerous crosses (think he should've sprinted to a wide forward position before the second though but didn't quite commit) thought he had a good game as much as can be expected.

Barry was ice cold in his finish. I know it's one shot but I was more confident in him scoring than I ever have been about Davis. He did well with the little chances he got. Bright future.

Some top saves from Onodi too.

Young's Maradona turn 🤣

Well done to all of them, everybody did themselves and the club proud.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Most encouraging thing for me is you can see we have a philosophy throughout the club now.

Pressed off the ball and wanted to play when we were on it, the players are coming through playing how we want to play in the first team. Obviously got tired at the end and paid for it in that 5 minute spell but we looks like we are finally doing things the right way.

They did really well for an hour and they did alright for the last 20 as well even though they still have the bodies of kids.

They need to go out on loan to lower league clubs for experience and development, before you see them in our shirt. 

Despite the euphoria - and not taking anything away from any of those lads tonight. But if past indicators are anything to go by - perhaps 1 one of those lads will go on to be a regular for us.

Â