Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

That’s a huge amount to pay out for a kid of that age given the low percentage chance of him making it. Although good young keepers at academy level are rare, a lad from my kids team is 8 and has all the East Miss clubs fighting over him.

It just goes to show the level of investment and commitment shown to our academy. It also shows we are starting to flex our muscles at youth level.

We have stiff competition from the academy structure at Leicester where my lad is which is outstanding but aside from them we should be dominating recruitment across the Midlands.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

That’s a huge amount to pay out for a kid of that age given the low percentage chance of him making it. Although good young keepers at academy level are rare, a lad from my kids team is 8 and has all the East Miss clubs fighting over him.

Especially for a keeper, even the best goalkeepers very often don't make it at the club they serve their apprenticeship with - they need to be playing in their early twenties, but they aren't usually the finished article until they're in their mid-twenties - a thirteen year old goalkeeper is a player that most likely won't be ready for us for another twelve years. 

He must be blummin good!

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Especially for a keeper, even the best goalkeepers very often don't make it at the club they serve their apprenticeship with - they need to be playing in their early twenties, but they aren't usually the finished article until they're in their mid-twenties - a thirteen year old goalkeeper is a player that most likely won't be ready for us for another twelve years. 

He must be blummin good!

Indeed. Last keeper to make it to the first team at Villa was Oakes in the late 90’s

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He must be blummin good!

Looks like he’s an u15 England international so must have something about him

• Like 1

100k now or possibly looking to spend 10, 20 or 30m again on a keeper in the next 5 years or so? 

I really like the fact that we’re looking to get ahead of the game and snap up promising young players, which may save us millions in years to come.  

It's strange with academy keepers. A fella I know his son was a brilliant keeper. He was scouted by Chelsea, but apparently there's some bone in your wrist that is fully formed by age 13 and is a 95%+ or something indicator of future height. If that says you're going to be under 6ft 3, they'll let you go, no matter how good they are. It's pretty much the same with most clubs apparently. Strange when some great keepers (Casillas etc) are barely 6ft

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He must be blummin good!

Get him in against Liverpool in the cup! 

All the best to the lad.

I see that we've signed another player for our U16s from an academy in Gloucester, their twitter describes them as a 'Talent Identification program for players & coaches Aston Villa F.C.Academy' and a 'Development and talent pathway for Aston Villa FC Academy'. Looking down their twitter it seems that previously they were affiliated with West Brom, so that's another academy related thing we appear to have taken from them.

Edit: Seems it's run by Paul Gardiner, who is now with us having previsously worked for Albion.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 20:27, ferguson1 said:

100k now or possibly looking to spend 10, 20 or 30m again on a keeper in the next 5 years or so? 

I really like the fact that we’re looking to get ahead of the game and snap up promising young players, which may save us millions in years to come.  

Emi's got closer to ten at the level he's at now if he looks after himself. 

On 03/01/2021 at 21:26, useless said:

I see that we've signed another player for our U16s from an academy in Gloucester, their twitter describes them as a 'Talent Identification program for players & coaches Aston Villa F.C.Academy' and a 'Development and talent pathway for Aston Villa FC Academy'. Looking down their twitter it seems that previously they were affiliated with West Brom, so that's another academy related thing we appear to have taken from them.

Edit: Seems it's run by Paul Gardiner, who is now with us having previsously worked for Albion.

These sudo academies are quite common place. There are a couple here in the East Miss that are effectively private but act as feeder systems into academies. They pick off the best grassroots players not in academies or those that drop out and the academies watch them a little closer than the grassroots sides.

There are often connections between them in terms of the coaches with them often being run by ex academy coaches. It’s a decent set up.

The level of scouting at grassroots levels and the development set ups for talented kids is amazing.

I wasn’t aware of this example with Villa, I agree it’s likely to be a relationship that’s followed Mark Harrison. We must be really annoying WBA at the moment.

We are seriously stepping up our game at academy level, they clearly want to ensure we are the club for young talent in the area. In the East Mids its Leicester, they get all the best kids in Nottingham these days.

• Thanks 2

Tonight is really difficult to predict in terms of line up, in both bubble and general selection terms - most of our best prospects are seventeen year olds playing U23 football - whether we'll pick a gang of seventeen year olds I don't know.

Â