Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Still reckon we'll do most our business last 2 weeks of Sept / beginning of October. Not ideal but they are having a look at the landscape and it's changing daily. We need to keep calm and let the club continue to work.

Traditionally most selling clubs hold out until later in the window before agreeing transfers, to try and get the best possible deal. Although the season is about to start there is still a month to go before the window SLAMS shut (even longer for domestic transfers between divisions). So It is more then likely we will have to wait a few weeks before there is much movement.

Until then I suggest those panicking try meditation to calm the nerves! 

Edited by Made In Aston

10 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I don't want us to spend big money on Josh King who is a bang average footballer. I'd be happy to spend £13m on a young German international, or £27m on Spain's number 9. Not sure how there's any contradiction there

Yes Leeds have signed 2 excellent players there. As much as Smith's lovers will defend him, I do think Bielsa is a really big pull there for Leeds though. He's very well known in football and plays a really interesting style of football, that's enabled Leeds to bring in 2 players who wouldn't ordinarily go to a newly promoted club. I still think though that Leeds on paper aren't very good, they'll still have lots of Championship players in their starting 11 and their high press will expose them massively against the better teams in the division. 

We already have the makings of a reasonable team with Jack, Doug, SJM, Konsa and Mings. We just need a sprinkling of talent out wide, up front and in midfield and we'll probably be well clear of relegation. It's quite simply really, which is why I can't understand their incompetence at getting players in.

4 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Big talent difference between those 2 players

to be fair I wouldn't want either

if we'd have bought Rodrigo for £30m there would have been a meltdown, maybe he ticks in a bielsa team but on paper he's a poor signing, so is Wilson, so would be king

Watkins or Edouard for me

11 hours ago, tonitottakai said:

Man of the match for me, neat and tidy player who I’m sure would make it in the PL. Would love to see him at the Villa!

Of course being Finnish I might be a bit biased, but haven’t been as excited about a Finnish player in ages.

Kitos! I love Finland and would love a Finnish player at the club, preferrably someone better than Enkelman mind 🙂 

Kamara seems to fit the mould of being the box to box midfielder to the left in a mid three (if he is good enough that is...)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, we are being given food for thought, by the inaction.

So you think everything sounds in order?.....and that one full back is ok, so far?

fine if thats your opinion.

I don't think things sound good.....we may have been linked with false players by over zealous journalists......but we haven't signed anyone so far to prove them wrong.

The bullshit is derived from inaction.

We should know exactly who we want to move forward, so far no evidence is in support of that view.

Cash makes us stronger than last season.

Everything else is just made up. There has been no sound made by the club to come to any conclusions.

As for the bold bit there is zero evidence we 1. Don't know exactly who we want or 2. Have done nothing in order to get them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I don't know if all these links are just rubbish but this is getting increasingly tiresome now. 

FWIW, again I don't think Brewster is the answer. Much rather if we can't get Tammy or Edouard (who are the best strikers that have been linked, accurately or not, with AVFC) take a punt on a young hotshot striker in Europe (maybe go for Leao again) or go for someone like Batshuayi. Brewster is completely unproven and we'd be naive to spend £20m on him. 

With time running out I actually don't know why we don't just start loaning a few players now to take us to that next level. Might attract a few names too as they have nothing to lose if they're only coming on loan. Chelsea have a bucket list of players they're looking to move on, Loftus Cheek, Batshuayi and Christensen would do nicely. 

Given the reported wage difficulty (FFP) it might need to be this solution with parent club sharing wages for the loan period. If we stay up this year problem eases for the following season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Dr Tony was an appalling owner who nearly took us to administration. Thankfully this lot are a lot better.

I think they are better (it's hard not to be) and I had great optimism when they came in, but I'm worried they talk the talk but don't actually walk the walk. It's evident we needed a good window this summer and unless we pull off some masterstroke deals at the last minute it looks like being a failure. Blowing money up the wall is not a good policy but neither is deliberating over every fine detail of a transfer and not getting anywhere. Lerner was a good owner in the beginning, but then tightened the purse strings to such an extent that it screwed us over, even after the wasteful MON had left.

We need owners in this for the long haul unless we're to become a yo yo team. Football ownership requires constant investment especially at this level.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would have thought lange would have suggested some players from the Scandinavian league?

but then smith + purslow need to go over there and scout them etc. he probably has given them both a list of recommendations, but they wont be signed this summer

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think they are better (it's hard not to be) and I had great optimism when they came in, but I'm worried they talk the talk but don't actually walk the walk. It's evident we needed a good window this summer and unless we pull off some masterstroke deals at the last minute it looks like being a failure. Blowing money up the wall is not a good policy but neither is deliberating over every fine detail of a transfer and not getting anywhere. Lerner was a good owner in the beginning, but then tightened the purse strings to such an extent that it screwed us over, even after the wasteful MON had left.

We need owners in this for the long haul unless we're to become a yo yo team. Football ownership requires constant investment especially at this level.

The academy moves this summer suggest they are definitely in it for the long haul.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do think we are struggling to land our targets and a lot of fans are going to be disappointed once the window closes. But it is what is it.  No point stressing about it.

There is no point stressing about it.....and there is jack **** we can do about it.

but for some to suggest patience as if everything is under control is fanciful too.

I Can remember some folk putting big store in to having wealthy owners, which is great in one way, but not the certainty some give it to get in top quality.....There are many factors that result in teams getting in top talent.....it looks like we don't have them all covered.

I was debating on Sunday with a Newcastle fan and he was going on about Mike Ashley and how he is holding them back and the Saudi deal would have launched them in to the big time.....I said, but how do you know that......look at us we have wealthy owners and so far just signed a full back.

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Cash makes us stronger than last season.

Everything else is just made up. There has been no sound made by the club to come to any conclusions.

As for the bold bit there is zero evidence we 1. Don't know exactly who we want or 2. Have done nothing in order to get them.

It's possible he does but there's no proof for this. We've signed a player who shone in the Championship, not one who has shone at PL level, so we have to wait and see if he makes us stronger. Guilbert played 4 very solid seasons in Ligue 1 before he joined us and is not actually a bad player, I think if we hadn't gone up in 18/19 he would have been excellent for us in the Champ. 

Even if Cash does improve us somewhat, it's not enough for us to suddenly make big improvements on last season. We'll still almost certainly be fighting it out near the bottom and who wants that again.

Are we actually linked with Josh King? His record for Bournmouth is better than Wilson’s   
16/17 36 appearances 16 goals

17/18 33 appearances 8 goals

18/19 35 appearances 12 goals

19/20 26 appearances 6 goals

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's possible he does but there's no proof for this. We've signed a player who shone in the Championship, not one who has shone at PL level, so we have to wait and see if he makes us stronger. Guilbert played 4 very solid seasons in Ligue 1 before he joined us and is not actually a bad player, I think if we hadn't gone up in 18/19 he would have been excellent for us in the Champ. 

Even if Cash does improve us somewhat, it's not enough for us to suddenly make big improvements on last season. We'll still almost certainly be fighting it out near the bottom and who wants that again.

We are not in a position to sign 5 or 6 top quality players and be pushing for the top 6 though, solid improvement on last year would be 10 points more than last season and being safe with a good few games to go. So you know be ready for us fighting it out near the bottom as a possibility so you don't get too disappointed if it happens...

• Like 1