Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes Leeds have signed 2 excellent players there. As much as Smith's lovers will defend him, I do think Bielsa is a really big pull there for Leeds though. He's very well known in football and plays a really interesting style of football, that's enabled Leeds to bring in 2 players who wouldn't ordinarily go to a newly promoted club. I still think though that Leeds on paper aren't very good, they'll still have lots of Championship players in their starting 11 and their high press will expose them massively against the better teams in the division. 

We already have the makings of a reasonable team with Jack, Doug, SJM, Konsa and Mings. We just need a sprinkling of talent out wide, up front and in midfield and we'll probably be well clear of relegation. It's quite simply really, which is why I can't understand their incompetence at getting players in.

I think this gets missed. It’s not necessarily the individual brilliance of players that makes Bielsa’s teams successful it’s that they are coached to the point where they no their job inside out & are fit enough to do it for 90 minutes. This is why he’d happily throw a youth team player in before a new signing has got up to speed because they know their job. 

• Like 1

OK, before everyone starts getting depressed, of the signings that have happened in the premier league this summer, is there anyone that people think "we should have got XX"? Apart from those clearly out of our league at the moment (e.g. Havertz, Van De Peek etc.) I would probably put the list as follows:- 

Ramsdale (possibly, although I think Heaton is going to be back sooner)

Robinson (£2million seems a good deal and could have been better competition for Targett than Taylor)

Eze (yep definitely would hope to have been in there)

I wouldn't count Fraser or Wilson as they look like they are on long contracts with ridiculous wages at Newcastle. I am not even convinced Wilson actually states we were in for him. The interviewer suggests Villa launched a bid, but he responds by saying both us and Newcastle were both big clubs and then talks about "Goal". He doesn't actually acknowledge that there was a bid at all.  

I genuinely think the only one that "got away" is Eze, and even then, we seem to have a couple of other options anyway. There is still very little movement, particulary where we are looking. Will people stop panicking please! 

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

We actually scored plenty of goals over the course of last season - more than Sheff United for example. Conceding was the issue. But I agree with you I’ll be a lot happier with a new fit striker in! Because not many of those goals came from up top.

Both areas were an issue. After lockdown the final third was a major issue. 

The defence also look like they will improve this season. Our final third attacking doesn't. 

Just now, cyrusr said:

OK, before everyone starts getting depressed, of the signings that have happened in the premier league this summer, is there anyone that people think "we should have got XX"? Apart from those clearly out of our league at the moment (e.g. Havertz, Van De Peek etc.) I would probably put the list as follows:- 

Ramsdale (possibly, although I think Heaton is going to be back sooner)

Robinson (£2million seems a good deal and could have been better competition for Targett than Taylor)

Eze (yep definitely would hope to have been in there)

I wouldn't count Fraser or Wilson as they look like they are on long contracts with ridiculous wages at Newcastle. I am not even convinced Wilson actually states we were in for him. The interviewer suggests Villa launched a bid, but he responds by saying both us and Newcastle were both big clubs and then talks about "Goal". He doesn't actually acknowledge that there was a bid at all.  

I genuinely think the only one that "got away" is Eze, and even then, we seem to have a couple of other options anyway. There is still very little movement, particulary where we are looking. Will people stop panicking please! 

a few but I don't think this is really relevant. 

All clubs have different needs, ultimately we need to improve the squad and are currently failing to do so. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BigRed said:

I think this gets missed. It’s not necessarily the individual brilliance of players that makes Bielsa’s teams successful it’s that they are coached to the point where they no their job inside out & are fit enough to do it for 90 minutes. This is why he’d happily throw a youth team player in before a new signing has got up to speed because they know their job. 

Exactly same with Benitez.

It's the system that gets them results, not individuals.

Sure having good individuals helps any coach and team but there won't be as big of a drop in performance levels compared to someone like Bruce who heavily rely on his "star" players.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigRed said:

The draw is that he’s a renowned coach who improves players whilst playing top stuff. Anyone would be attracted to that knowing that he could be made into a top player & go further in his career. 

also whilst it may be classed as not successful it’s not as though he’s managed the top club in all counties he’s been at. 

Does he tho?

46 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Helenius, Okore, Nyland.

Great success :) 

Okore i dont consider a flop. 

Helnius went throught some issues from what i remember

Nyland i will give you. God he is hopeless. Just dont sign any Scandinavian keepers!

Sorensen did well though

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Both areas were an issue. After lockdown the final third was a major issue. 

The defence also look like they will improve this season. Our final third attacking doesn't. 

I think we will stay up if we defend as we did after lockdown.  Our problem was throwing away too many points when we were playing well early in the season due to silly mistakes.  It's at least a base to start the season with if we have to wait til October to do business in the transfer market.  At the moment it feels like clubs aren't willing to commit to buying players therefore they don't want to let players go, hence we are all fighting over the scraps like Wilson at silly prices.

so in Wilson's interview, he said it was a 50/50 decision between Newcastle & Villa, then he went on to talk about how his son watches the film "Goal" a lot and told his dad he wanted him to sign for Newcastle.

So looks like we were seriously in for him.

Not upset though, rightly or wrongly, i wasnt keen on this transfer, especially with the reported 4 year contract, with an additional year option at the players choice.

Also in the interview it was said that Fraser was holding off agreeing the move to Newcastle until he heard Wilson had joined, so both are going there.

I also thought we would have been more active than we are. Was kinda hoping we'd go into the window with targets in mind and would be aggressive to get them in early. But seems we've gone in a different direction which is fine I guess. I have no idea how difficult it is to bring in players. I just really hope we at least have a new striker by the time we play our first game. 

4 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Gonna say it , think Tammy has reached his ceiling and can't see him improving much more , I've always thought that he is a slightly better Carlton Cole , bring on the hate 

I quite liked Carlton Cole, but he was a shite goalscorer. Can't say that about Tammy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Gonna say it , think Tammy has reached his ceiling and can't see him improving much more , I've always thought that he is a slightly better Carlton Cole , bring on the hate 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pete101 said:

We've certainly put him on a pedestal, but we're not exactly flush with strikers who've scored 20 goals a season for us in recent seasons.

In the Championship, yes. I still reckon he'd do a massive job for us, and I think the triumvirate of Lange Smith and Purslow would be insane not to bid big money for him. Of course that's just my opinion, and whether he'd come or not is another story. Probably not, but hopefully we've at least tried.......

Edited by est1874