Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Wouldn't shock me if we were one of the teams inquiring. He fits the profile of what we've looked for elsewhere. His numbers have bad in a terrible SPAL team the last couple years, but it's not him that's the problem. Was quite productive for Atalanta before that.

2 hours ago, LockStockVilla said:

King’s agent is the brother of Ståle Solbakken, who Lange has worked very closely with over the years, so this could be a possibility. From a few clips here and there, it seems King is desperate to go back to ManUre, but not sure that is likely at this point. If we do get in two strikers, King would be an excellent option. 

No relation, afaik. 

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Exactly same with Benitez.

It's the system that gets them results, not individuals.

Sure having good individuals helps any coach and team but there won't be as big of a drop in performance levels compared to someone like Bruce who heavily rely on his "star" players.

I’m not that convinced that if any of us watched Bruce’s Newcastle vs Rafa’s Newcastle we would see a difference. Sit deep, try not to concede, get one goal from a piece of magic/luck, do ok over the season.

That said I somewhat agree with your point that the role of a good coach is to make a team more than the sum of its parts.

27 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

OK, before everyone starts getting depressed, of the signings that have happened in the premier league this summer, is there anyone that people think "we should have got XX"? Apart from those clearly out of our league at the moment (e.g. Havertz, Van De Peek etc.) I would probably put the list as follows:- 

Ramsdale (possibly, although I think Heaton is going to be back sooner)

Robinson (£2million seems a good deal and could have been better competition for Targett than Taylor)

Eze (yep definitely would hope to have been in there)

I wouldn't count Fraser or Wilson as they look like they are on long contracts with ridiculous wages at Newcastle. I am not even convinced Wilson actually states we were in for him. The interviewer suggests Villa launched a bid, but he responds by saying both us and Newcastle were both big clubs and then talks about "Goal". He doesn't actually acknowledge that there was a bid at all.  

I genuinely think the only one that "got away" is Eze, and even then, we seem to have a couple of other options anyway. There is still very little movement, particulary where we are looking. Will people stop panicking please! 

When you're the last team to survive, you need to improve more than others somehow. There's more than one way to do it, but more/better signings are a decent bet.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate i've got a feeling we are "waiting" on certain top targets.

We are also so obsessed with the striker search we have forgotten about other positions (Fans I mean).

I'm actually more excited about a top CM and Winger.

I've started wondering if we would be as "worried" as fans if we didn't have social media or forums.

I remember back in the day, things just happened, when they happened.

In all honestly, I think the forums and social media fans are actually giving me more anxiety than the window itself.

I am strangely not as worried as some. As for some reason I just feel like our current players are going to step up as well.

This could all change of course.

JV....I respect your view, you know that.....and I am not trying to create mischief where non exists.....But so far, I am unsure  what they are doing.....and silence is not always golden.

We do seem very contradictory to me.... The club on occasions cites players struggling during a season due to  a short pre season, then we sit a week or so from the start of the season and no sign of a fix to last seasons woes.....it just doesn't stack up, for me.

Look, they could sign no one else, its no skin off my nose....I'm just saying on the back of silence, it just doesn't sit right to me.

I don't think its just Forums or the media.....I went for a pint in my local on Sunday and a few Villa Fans come up to me and said, " whats going on, with a concerned look on their face".......If we finished half way last season, there would be moderate concern, but we didn't, we created a nigh on miracle, staying up.

To say our players might be more acclimatised to the league, is a valid argument, but would you want to play russian roulette with that.....

I agree with you about the CM, but that seems a concern of very few.....sure we need a winger and a striker as a priority.

I could be happy in the end with what we sign.....but just saying the vibe is not good for me........so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

If that's true I can't really understand it - when you look beyond all the bluster that follows him - Bielsa and 'Bielsaball' hasn't been particularly successful...

Bloody good to watch though.

I'll be so disappointed if they sign De Paul. Absolutely ridiculous signing.

Bit like when they got Bielsa really.

45 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sheff United got promoted with us, finished higher and are doing business quicker. 

FFP wages as the reason we are struggling is a bullshit excuse. 

Agreed. It's very strange.

The only deal we have done has been shown up by Sheff U getting Lowe and Bogle for two thirds of the price as well.

Season starts in five days, it's poor. Wonder if we're being too ambitious or not ambitious enough, something is off.

Even if we get Watkins this week, would we be better off if we had him two weeks ago? Yes.Is he available? Yes. Have plenty of players that would have improved us moved already for decent fees? Yes.

The relegation odds are a good indication of how tight it is down the bottom. Anyone could go really. Having settled players that could win us early points matters.

We're third favourites to go down with Newcastle fourth. And they've just beaten us to a striker. Yes, they paid through the nose, but it'll look a lot cheaper if they stay up and we drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Sheff United got promoted with us, finished higher and are doing business quicker. 

FFP wages as the reason we are struggling is a bullshit excuse

How come and where is your proof to back this up? It could be Smith is not a coach certain players will aspire play for. Or maybe we are  being a tad too unrealistic with the calibre of players we are targeting ... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

Problem u have now is any foreign player that comes in = 2 week quarantine. Doesnt really fit the pre season model does it

Doesn't apply to footballers if the club can provide regular tests from what I've heard.

Just now, thabucks said:

How come and where is your proof to back this up? It could be Smith is not a coach certain players will aspire play for. Or maybe we are  being a tad too unrealistic with the calibre of players we are targeting ... 

It could be lots of reasons. I think this FFP about wages is a rubbish one. 

If we know wages are an issue and have known it since before February, we should have planned appropriately, and should have been able to conclude more business by this point. 

• Like 2

Dig from Wilder? :D

We've got a clear plan and identification of what we need and we're still going through that process. We're not just signing players because other people are in for them, we're signing these players because they fit into what we are about.

• Like 1