Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

13 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Given the reported wage difficulty (FFP) it might need to be this solution with parent club sharing wages for the loan period. If we stay up this year problem eases for the following season.

I think we might have to now. I wouldn't be at all upset if we got Tammy and a couple of other quality players in off some of the top 6, even if it was just for a year. It gives us a bit more time and hopefully next summer we'll be operating in a better market with less hassle over FFP and wage structure. We'd probably have to pay a large fee for players of that calibre but it would be worth it if parent club can contribute partially to their wages too. 

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Without a shadow of a doubt.

You simply cannot underestimate it.

If that's true I can't really understand it - when you look beyond all the bluster that follows him - Bielsa and 'Bielsaball' hasn't been particularly successful...

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I’m not so sure, at least with Dr Tony we had to dream of Champions League football and competing with Barcelona in five years. I hear nothing like that from this shower

The way Barcelona are going we will be on a similar level soon 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

If that's true I can't really understand it - when you look beyond all the bluster that follows him - Bielsa and 'Bielsaball' hasn't been particularly successful...

Define successful.

You have to win something to be labeled a good manager/coach? Pochettino isn't a good manager because he haven't won anything?

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We are not in a position to sign 5 or 6 top quality players and be pushing for the top 6 though, solid improvement on last year would be 10 points more than last season and being safe with a good few games to go. So you know be ready for us fighting it out near the bottom as a possibility so you don't get too disappointed if it happens...

I'm happy with 10 more points than last season - anywhere between 45 and 50 would be a good season in my view. And I still believe there are 5/6 decent players in our team and adding 2/3 more of a similar quality will be enough to get to that benchmark of 45+ points.

The thing is with our current squad I see us struggling to get to 40. And that is panic mode. 

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do think we are struggling to land our targets and a lot of fans are going to be disappointed once the window closes. But it is what is it.  No point stressing about it.

Kind of my view at this point, like every other fan I want the glamour signings we crave, but I still have some faith that whatever happens we are in a better position.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes Leeds have signed 2 excellent players there. As much as Smith's lovers will defend him, I do think Bielsa is a really big pull there for Leeds though. He's very well known in football and plays a really interesting style of football, that's enabled Leeds to bring in 2 players who wouldn't ordinarily go to a newly promoted club. I still think though that Leeds on paper aren't very good, they'll still have lots of Championship players in their starting 11 and their high press will expose them massively against the better teams in the division. 

Imo it's a bit too simplistic how you put that, no doubt Bielsa is a big name and will be a big pull for many players, more so than a lesser known manager as Dean Smith (whom I love). So in general yes, but every player and situation is different, apparently Cash was drawn to Villa partly because of Smith, the Brentford players probably will be as well. As just seen with Wilson there are so many other circumstances coming into play (where most probably in the end the amount of money they bag is the biggest factor).

When it comes to Buendia I'm afraid that Leeds will be in for him, and in that case I'm sure Leeds will have an advantage because Bielsa is from the same country. In general players from abroad would probably see Bielsa as a pull (not Pontus Janson though for example, ask him what he thinks of Bielsa). When it comes to players more in our range, Championship players or players in lower table PL teams, I'd say Dean Smith could be as much of a pull, certainly with Terry and Shakespeare in the management team. If we'd go for some Watford players that I want us to sign, I think we would have an advantage in Shakespeare, same with Leicester players who played under him. 

Wow, the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this thread is hilarious. 

People believing the Bollox in the media and on Twitter (Twitter, FFS!) and taking it as gospel about who we are trying to sign and missing out on them, then convincing themselves we are now broke, desperate and onto our third and fourth choice players.

NO ONE on here, and DEFINITELY NO ONE ON TWITTER has the first clue who we are really in for, and we will not know for sure until he is announced by the club. The club is run very well these days and is a tight ship - we will not get leaks until the club want us to know. 

All that we can say for sure is that the situation is somewhere between: We have our top targets lined up and are waiting for their clubs to sign their replacements and "Wah! We aren't signing ANYBODY and we are going to get RELEGATED". Only  a select few people know for sure where we are on that scale. 

Would it be nice to get players in for a bit of pre-season - of course it would, but I would rather have our preferred target arrive 2-3 games into the season than a 3rd choice who is available turn up before. 

Chillax people. All this ranting and criticism of the club achieves nothing. NO ONE on here knows what is actually happening and certainly cannot affect it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Cash makes us stronger than last season.

Everything else is just made up. There has been no sound made by the club to come to any conclusions.

As for the bold bit there is zero evidence we 1. Don't know exactly who we want or 2. Have done nothing in order to get them.

Cash hasn't even played yet.....so where is that evidence?

I like the signing, but it is only my perception, just like yours.

what is made up?.....we have done nothing else so far.There is no sound made by the club because they have nothing to report.....no conclusion has been made, other than nothing has happened so far.....which is a fact.

There is no evidence to suggest we do know who we want either.....because we don't know what they are thinking or doing.

we are all relying on rumour and the longer we fail to sign anyone, the rumours will continue to grow

• Like 1

Just now, NSmith22 said:

I refuse to believe we’re in for King. But, if we really are, that would be a monumentally bad signing. I’d expect a newly promoted, cash strapped club to take a punt on him. 

He nearly signed for United in January

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We usually do pretty welk with Scandinavian players tbh.

Barrjng enkleman

I agree, for example Laursen and Mellberg were legenday! Thing for me is that they came from established European teams, the ones we have sign directly from a Scandinavian team have almost always been flops. 

• Like 1

I think people worrying about what we can or will spend need not worry. I doubt we would have spent 15m on an RB if we didn't have funds to spend elsewhere.

That being said though, giving Smith and the team the best possible chance of stability this season by being ready is the main issue here. We need freshness, competition for places, and most importantly, quality in the right areas. What I really don't want to hear from the club this year is excuses. Especially regarding fitness levels and ill preparation, and 2 weeks is very little time for someone living in the UK to up sticks and settle never mind potential purchases from Europe. 

We spent well last year, although a necessity considering our predicament with the squad. I really hope they don't undo that by spending too much time fart arsing about. Waiting until the death in transfer windows is a sure fire way of getting fleeced through desperation, ending up with not what you wanted and most definitely not picking up a bargain. imo 

• Like 1