Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Define successful.

You have to win something to be labeled a good manager/coach? Pochettino isn't a good manager because he haven't won anything?

Well he hasn't won anything, at least certainly not in Europe until last season in a second tier league. He hasn't really got any of his teams to punch above their weight either - which Pochettino has at each of the clubs he's managed. Can't really think of any other tangible definitions of football success tbh.  

• Like 1

Speculation - we're after a few from the championship (Watkins, Benrhama, maybe others) and because of the stupid extra period after the main window slams shut, clubs there (Brentford) are sticking extra big prices on players knowing that once no-one can buy from Europe they'll have a feeding frenzy for 10 days when everyone (us) is desperate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Well he hasn't won anything, at least certainly not in Europe until last season in a second tier league. He hasn't really got any of his teams to punch above their weight either - which Pochettino has at each of the clubs he's managed. Can't really think of any other tangible definitions of football success tbh.  

If your premise for a good manager is to win trophies then Pochettino isn't a good manager either.

Bielsa's teams plays fantastic football and improves players. That makes him a good manager to me.

11 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'm happy with 10 more points than last season - anywhere between 45 and 50 would be a good season in my view. And I still believe there are 5/6 decent players in our team and adding 2/3 more of a similar quality will be enough to get to that benchmark of 45+ points.

The thing is with our current squad I see us struggling to get to 40. And that is panic mode. 

Yep we agree on next season and where our squad is, don't panic we won't be playing this coming season with the same squad as we struggled with last season. We need a centre forward, poss two wide forwards and a central midfielder to go for 45 points plus IMO. They all need to be able to go straight into the first eleven. I think we'll probably get more in than that, but I think they'll be more signing potential to compete for a place like Cash.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He nearly signed for United in January

And they ended up with Ighalo I believe. They were just looking for a stopgap situation. I kept a pretty close eye on Bournemouth at the end since we were competing to stay up. Only attainable player I would’ve been interested in was Ramsdale. 

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Dont forget taking one of the most talented international squads ever to a 1st round World Cup exit along with a Copa america final loss to Brazil reserves

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Sheff United got promoted with us, finished higher and are doing business quicker. 

FFP wages as the reason we are struggling is a bullshit excuse. 

This year FFP is based on 2 yr’s worth of prem losses (£70m) & one year Champ (£13m). We broke even FFP wise in our last season in the Championship. We will have the same maximum loss amount as everyone else... existing prem or promoted the same year... £105m over 3 years.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If your premise for a good manager is to win trophies then Pochettino isn't a good manager either.

Bielsa's teams plays fantastic football and improves players. That makes him a good manager to me.

My premise for being a manager with a reputation for attracting top class players is either winning things or getting clubs to to punch above their weight. As Bielsa has done neither I can't understand the idea that he would be a big draw for top class players. As ever it will be the cash the club are willing to throw at the player IMHO.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sheff United got promoted with us, finished higher and are doing business quicker. 

FFP wages as the reason we are struggling is a bullshit excuse. 

But no one has made that "excuse", aside from a few fans?

Pretty sure Purslow was asked a question about finances and just answered. lol

Also, are we after the same tier/type of player as Sheffield, aside from Cash maybe, who we actually signed?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

And they ended up with Ighalo I believe. They were just looking for a stopgap situation. I kept a pretty close eye on Bournemouth at the end since we were competing to stay up. Only attainable player I would’ve been interested in was Ramsdale. 

Brooks?

Btw Callum Wilson in the 5 seasons Bournemouth were in the PL scored 40 league goals as a center forward. 

King? 48...majority from the wing. 

Edited by Steero113

Just now, villa4europe said:

So far they've signed the GK from Bournemouth to replace henderson, they also brought in another GK on a free from rangers 

That's it, that's all they've done 

We've restructured our academy and brought in 3 youngsters (?) and a RB

Not sure why you'd use them as an example

They've quickly replaced a key area unlike us.

They're signing 2 players from Derby and getting Ampadu on loan today. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Also, are we after the same tier/type of player as Sheffield, aside from Cash maybe, who we actually signed?

I know. I think its a bullshit excuse from our fans. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

They've quickly replaced a key area unlike us.

They're signing 2 players from Derby and getting Ampadu on loan today. 

Ramsdale was a good piece of business but they had no 1st choice GK and we have Heaton coming back so didn't need to go all out like they did in that position. 

The 2 Derby players are not even in the same category of quality and potential as Cash. 

And as for Ampadu, we have already said that we won't consider loans without an option to buy and Chelsea aren't letting him go

Edited by Steero113
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was also asked 6 months ago. Somebody on Twitter re posting it had caused unneccesary hysteria

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Ramsdale was a good piece of business but they had no 1st choice GK and we have Heaton coming back so didn't need to go all out like they did in that position. 

The 2 Derby players are not even in the same category of quality and potential as Cash. 

And as for Ampadu, we have already said that we won't consider loans without an option to buy and Chelsea aren't letting him go

We need a keeper and a striker. We are the worst in the league in both positions at the moment. The season starts in 5 days  

Maybe, the potential of the players isn't really the point. We seem to be one of the only team in the league struggling to sign players. We stayed up by a point.

I think the excuses being made are weak. I hope there are valid reasons and we end up having a good window but FFP and other stuff is nonsense IMO. As I said earlier, if we are going after players we can't afford then it's shocking preparation from us.

• Like 1