Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

36 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I can see the headlines already if he scores...

Villa's Cash Machine

Cash Converter

Cash KO

...or scores an own goal...

Cash Flow Issues

...or gets sent off in the snow...

Cold Hard Cash

..or we sell him for a big profit...

Cash in the Bank

.. or he miss-controls it...

Cash Control

There must be others?...

Switches to winger - Cash Converter 

• Like 1

Cash puns belong in the cash thread surely... i will resist. 

Praying that there is another signing imminent that had totally blindsided the media,  would make me very happy as an indicator that there could be others.  If its Watkins/Wilson I'd be fine with either but would point to a concerning lack of other viable rumours, given both signings would have been leaked all over the news long before they happened.

21 hours ago, est1874 said:

🤣 I can use what I want, and I choose to use facts. Whether or not you're jealous of other clubs' recruitment so far is irrelevant to the point being made, and is simply your opinion.

We are literally 1 of 5 clubs who haven't made a senior signing. What you, or anyone else, does with that information is your own business, but there's nothing incorrect about it.

Also, just for future reference, describing your own posts as "very well and thought out" has a touch of the Donalds about it.

And now, just 21 hours later, we are equal to about 75% of the league in terms of number of people bought in. 

To me, just reaffirms what a ridiculous point you were trying to make. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Best XI:

Heaton

Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett

McGinn, Luiz, Grealish

New, New, New

3 more players needed as a minimum. Happy to swap a LW for a CM if Grealish wants to play out there but I suspect he doesn’t 

I think that’s left wing is Grealish’s best position when he links up with Targett, it’s a joy to watch 

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I think he’d be a really difficult get & in high demand if Real would even consider letting him go (which I doubt).

Any thoughts on these guys?

Marcus Thuram - Monchengladbach

Federico Chiesa - Fiorentina

Not a chance on Thuram; Champion's League football next season and Eberl has said the club doesn't need to sell anyone.  That being said, if you were looking at the fringe players they could be tempted to part with, Lászlo Bénes would be interesting; had a very good first half of the campaign last year when called upon but realistically isn't going to be forcing his way ahead of the likes of Neuhaus or Hofmann and with Hannes Wolf coming in I wouldn't be surprised to see Bénes agitate for a move away.  Could wind up being a really smart pickup for someone.

Chiesa's an odd one; unplayable at his best but unwatchable at his worst (with the caveat that he's been surrounded/managed by some absolute dross at Fiorentina the last few years, but still his finishing can and does often sit absolutely anywhere on a spectrum from Gabriel Batistuta right down to Keinan Davis) and a long-mooted move up the Serie A ladder is, as such, yet to materialise.  Could envision a scenario where he'll be perennially linked to huge clubs but ultimately wind up somewhere in that next tier down, your clubs chasing-but-not-guaranteed European football but who do have the cash to make a marquee signing.  He may even want to stick around for another year, Fiorentina are finally approaching the terminus of a multi-season overhaul of the playing squad, their recruitment finally seems to have given them some upward mobility and the owners have backed Iachini so there's some long-overdue managerial stability going into the new campaign (albeit with the Italian equivalent of Tony Pulis, right down to the hat).  Contract is up in 2 years so if he hasn't signed by the end of this campaign I imagine the club will be wanting to cash in, depending on the season Villa have had by that point then who knows?

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Thanks 1

We did the right thing in landing Cash, made an initial low bid and then agreed on a fee to get the player that we wanted, without undue delay. We now we need to do the same thing with the rest of our first choices, rather than to start looking down the list at our second, third and fourth choices. If we are only bringing in one striker let's make it the one we want, as long as he's available and willing to come. The same should be the case with our other targets.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Absolutely no chance of getting any of them, I'm afraid. This is what I was talking about the other day - I think you need to be more realistic with your expectations.

Was asking for opinions and thoughts on the players mate as I don’t watch enough football now to know who would be attainable.

Mallen not an option? I would think it would be possible to sign a PSV player unless he’s in high demand by top clubs.

We do need to be ambitious to a degree and find quality (and young) players from all over the world. We’ve got to make some moves and be willing to spend otherwise we will just be left behind.

If we were genuinely interested in Rashica, then he’s not the only decent player out there. There  are plenty of high quality players and top prospects out there and good players who are not getting enough game time at more successful clubs that we could attempt to attract.

We have to be clever, ambitious (within our capabilities) and bring genuine talent in to kick on and progress. Our level of scouting has to be good and needs to step up.

The whole squad has PL experience now, we need to add quality and particularly attacking & technical ability that enhances what we already have in many positions.

I don’t want short term fixes and ageing, has been players on high wages, we’ve been through that too many times and suffered as a result.

Really need to kick on and try to become a big club again (at least a mainstay in the PL) rather than struggle at the bottom of the table.

It won’t be an overnight fix or success but we have to make those steps ASAP and in the right way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Was asking for opinions and thoughts on the players mate as I don’t watch enough football now to know who would be attainable.

Mallen not an option? I would think it would be possible to sign a PSV player unless he’s in high demand by top clubs.

We do need to be ambitious to a degree and find quality (and young) players from all over the world. We’ve got to make some moves and be willing to spend otherwise we will just be left behind.

If we were genuinely interested in Rashica, then he’s not the only decent player out there. There  are plenty of high quality players and top prospects out there and good players who are not getting enough game time at more successful clubs that we could attempt to attract.

We have to be clever, ambitious (within our capabilities) and bring genuine talent in to kick on and progress. Our level of scouting has to be good and needs to step up.

The whole squad has PL experience now, we need to add quality and particularly attacking & technical ability that enhances what we already have in many positions.

I don’t want short term fixes and ageing, has been players on high wages, we’ve been through that too many times and suffered as a result.

Really need to kick on and try to become a big club again (at least a mainstay in the PL) rather than struggle at the bottom of the table.

It won’t be an overnight fix or success but we have to make those steps ASAP and in the right way.

I totally agree with you on that, but I think that the Rashica attempted signing speaks volumes. He's the best player in a team that narrowly avoided relegation in the Bundesliga and he's looking at us and not fancying it - the suggestions you've made are all at least as in-demand as him or even more so, and as such their profile is higher, meaning that there'd be no shortage of competition for their signature and we'd inevitably lose out to a more attractive option. While it might seem worth tossing our hat in the ring for these players, it's a lot of time and energy wasted on frankly unrealistic targets. 

For me, the profile of players we need to go for are people like Watkins and Cash - players who have outgrown their level, are on the up and haven't been tested at the top. The third point is particularly important, because if they have been tested at the top and succeeded to the level we want, they'll have better offers, and if they didn't succeed, then we wouldn't want them anyway. 

We're in a frustrating position because we have the money to spend - it's just that so do so many other teams, and our current reputation isn't good enough to get the level of players we really want.