Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I totally agree with you on that, but I think that the Rashica attempted signing speaks volumes. He's the best player in a team that narrowly avoided relegation in the Bundesliga and he's looking at us and not fancying it - the suggestions you've made are all at least as in-demand as him or even more so, and as such their profile is higher, meaning that there'd be no shortage of competition for their signature and we'd inevitably lose out to a more attractive option. While it might seem worth tossing our hat in the ring for these players, it's a lot of time and energy wasted on frankly unrealistic targets. 

For me, the profile of players we need to go for are people like Watkins and Cash - players who have outgrown their level, are on the up and haven't been tested at the top. The third point is particularly important, because if they have been tested at the top and succeeded to the level we want, they'll have better offers, and if they didn't succeed, then we wouldn't want them anyway. 

We're in a frustrating position because we have the money to spend - it's just that so do so many other teams, and our current reputation isn't good enough to get the level of players we really want. 

We could target the players who are just below Rashica’s level  or not as recognised yet (not wanted by CL clubs at this point, wouldn’t get much first team minutes) again it’s up to the scouting department to find these “gems”. But we could also attract the like too, we have to try and we could get lucky. There’s plenty of players who want to play on this league too.

Rashica may have been willing to come had Leipzig not shown an interest...

Cash seems like a good signing and maybe Watkins would be too but we don’t need to limit our scope to England.

We need players on the way up rather than on the way down or stagnating. 

1 minute ago, Boumasbabies said:

Arsenal linked with Patson Daka. This kid is rapid. Scored 2 against Liverpool last week, should've had 3 or 4

3:12
HIGHLIGHTS: Patson Daka vs Liverpool | Preseason Red Bull ...
YouTube app · Zambian Soccer Updates
1 week ago

The kind of player we should be after...

28 minutes ago, John said:

We did the right thing in landing Cash, made an initial low bid and then agreed on a fee to get the player that we wanted, without undue delay. We now we need to do the same thing with the rest of our first choices, rather than to start looking down the list at our second, third and fourth choices. If we are only bringing in one striker let's make it the one we want, as long as he's available and willing to come. The same should be the case with our other targets.   

Agreed, just wonder if Aarons was actually our first choice and the fee was too high?

Signing exciting young players has to be the remit with maybe a more experienced head or solid/physical player such as a CM to help out.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t bid for Buendia too, also quite eager for us to sign Benrahma tbh now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

We could target the players who are just below Rashica’s level  or not as recognised yet (not wanted by CL clubs at this point, wouldn’t get much first team minutes) again it’s up to the scouting department to find these “gems”. But we could also attract the like too, we have to try and we could get lucky. There’s plenty of players who want to play on this league too.

Rashica may have been willing to come had Leipzig not shown an interest.. 

RB Leipzig had left the table long ago...

We've not seen any movement from them to suggest they will be returning.

It would be fair to expect an outcome on this player to develop soon with whatever he decides or may have already decided.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

It would be fair to expect an outcome on this player to develop soon with whatever he decides or may have already decided.

I hear Leipzig are lining up for their Rashica alternative. So maybe an other attempt at the end of the window, he may budge 

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Still a (slim) chance?

I just wonder if he would have been willing and even excited to sign had no other team, particularly a Champions League one, shown an interest. Maybe his head was turned and he decided against us after that...

We also need the opportunity to sit down with these players and sell them our vision/project. I think they could be convinced, given the opportunity.

I’ve given up on Rashica honestly but it would be a nice surprise and statement signing. 

Surely there’s got to be other/similar level players we are after too? 

Gabriel Barbosa anyone? Doug & Wes would help him settle...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Us or arsenal... Hmmmm. 

Realism is not rife this year.

The kind of player mate and we could probably convince certain players to join us with more assurance of game time than being a squad player or reserve at other teams..

We should try at least and attempt to have some ambition rather than just “settle for our lot” etc. how do we kick on otherwise?

That first good signing could open the door for more and better arrivals...

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Daka is just pie in the sky thinking - absolutely no chance.

Sad thing is that since RB Salzburg contracts always have a release clause in them he'd likely be at least £5m cheaper in fee and command a lot lower wages than the £70k that Watkins is rumored to be asking.

But we are not in a position to get players like Daka, no matter how much money our owners have.

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The kind of player mate and we could probably convince certain players to join us with more assurance of game time than being a squad player or reserve at other teams..

We should try at least and attempt to have some ambition rather than just “settle for our lot” etc. how do we kick on otherwise?

That first good signing could open the door for more and better arrivals...

I think we would all love this kind of signing. No doubt. And we all hope we are in for them. 

But, for every player that is highly rated there will be a top club after them. We would have to get very lucky to bring one of this sort of player in. And also, alot of patience. And, patience is something we've seen not alot of villa fans have. 

I agree with what you're saying, but think we may be a year away from it. A years PL consolidation and reputation rebuild and we will probably be ok next summer.

Just now, Mjvilla said:

I think we would all love this kind of signing. No doubt. And we all hope we are in for them. 

But, for every player that is highly rated there will be a top club after them. We would have to get very lucky to bring one of this sort of player in. And also, alot of patience. And, patience is something we've seen not alot of villa fans have. 

I agree with what you're saying, but think we may be a year away from it. A years PL consolidation and reputation rebuild and we will probably be ok next summer.

Fair enough mate but our scouting needs to be at a level that we can find and bring in players like this, otherwise what’s the point in having a scouting department?

I think it’s the one of the few ways to eventually become a top half team, we have to bring in some proper players and future stars.

Look at Wolves for instance, it is possible to break in and “upset the order”. Obviously it will take time and be more difficult for us as we won’t be having any dodgy dealings 😆

If they can convince foreign/Portuguese talent to come and live in Wolverhampton then surely we have a chance to attract these kinds of players too? 😆

We’ve got to try...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Any other decent shouts? Who could we realistically get and would really enhance the team?

Out of those, the only realistically gettable ones would be Kabak, Aarons and Traore but obviously we won't be in for Aarons now we have Cash.

• Thanks 1