Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Absolutely no proof that we aren't willing to pay. Not willing to pay OVER the going rate. Probably. That's just sensible business. 

Not many teams have seriously strengthened their squad. Is NO team willing to pay? It's just absolutely pathetic the level of vitriol poured towards the club based on absolutely nothing. Pathetic.

Just because other clubs haven't spent money doesn't mean we should copy them. Those clubs have better players than us, evidenced by last season's tables. Don't give a monkey's what they do. We need to start signing players.

• Like 1

While it's getting a tad boring with no transfer activity I will start to draw for the panic button if there are still no signings by a week today.

Hopefully we see one or two additions arrive this week and the main flurry will start after the International friendlies.

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Absolutely no proof that we aren't willing to pay. Not willing to pay OVER the going rate. Probably. That's just sensible business. 

Not many teams have seriously strengthened their squad. Is NO team willing to pay? It's just absolutely pathetic the level of vitriol poured towards the club based on absolutely nothing. Pathetic.

Well we finished last out of the current teams in the Premier league from last season.

So I wouldn't think many teams need to seriously strengthen their squads.

Us on the other hand, having finished where we did, are one of the teams who DOES need to seriously strengthen.

Let's hope it happens 🙏 

• Thanks 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Call me a bedwetter all you want. The fact people think this is even remotely acceptable is bizarre.

But the window hasn't closed yet. These things take time, especially in the current climate. We only need a couple of quality additions anyway. Chill, we'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

35 points last season. Woefully short in attacking areas. Lucky to stay up.

We are not in a position to not bide our time like others.

Still no proof that we aren't willing to pay.

4 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Rodrigo De Paul has been mooted on twatter. €45m. Leeds and Villa in for him apparently. I must stress, this was on Twatter. @Total_Villa 

if you google him, there are a lot of links to Leeds with a move seemingly almost done and not a single mention of us.

I think we can safely say that buying footballers now is very difficult. The days of transfers being done in half an hour Barry Fry style are long gone.  So many variables with the agents, hangers on, contracts,  medicals, insurance, what other clubs may or may not be doing. It is painfully slow if you have  a certain budget and certain wage structure to keep to, which is what Villa are trying to do. Yes we could massively overspend like we did under Dr Tony, but our new owners quite rightly want  to run a profitable business. So I guess it is a question of waiting and holding our nerve. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Ah here we'd want to crack on now seriously. Over 2 weeks out and a kid from Exeter that's gone to the 23s - all we've got in. I know the argument going around that not as many are spending because of the pandemic. Yeah but we need to spend. We finished 17th. Clubs above us have stronger teams and squads therefore don't have to strengthen as much.

Why we haven't snapped up Benrahma is infuriating me its driving me mad and now ARSENAL are in the mix because we havent prioritised getting him through the door FML. Lange and DS what are you playing at?? . Bring in Divock Origi with him too as he offers high octane energy levels and scintillating pace when played just behind the striker to the right. I was iffy about him when linked but the more i think about it makes perfect sense and at £20-25M too would be a steal. After that we can sign whoever we want but i just need to see that happen to feel more at ease.

Edited by RicRic

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Call me a bedwetter all you want. The fact people think this is even remotely acceptable is bizarre.

I’m not sure I’d agree it is unacceptable, it isn’t ideal by any stretch and it is increasingly frustrating bordering on concerning but this is a really difficult window.

It is also harder to add quality players to a squad than it is to do what we did last summer.

I’m frustrated and a little concerned but I’ve still got a belief we will get the additions we need but we really do need to start to see some additions soon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Morning lads, welcome to "why haven't we signed anyone?" Wednesday.

Hungry Food GIF

Eat that everyone it will fill you up for the day.

In fairness no other Premier League club has exactly set the transfer window alight yet, have they? One or two worrying themselves over Leeds, but who here had mooted Koch and Rodrigo as desirable targets? Everton being linked/buying former big name players on astronomical wages. Yes it might be nice for a quick adrenaline hit and shirt sales, but will it translate to performance on the field in the next couple of seasons? Maybe, maybe not. Everton in particular have thrown an awful lot of money down the drain in recent seasons and haven’t exactly challenged the upper echelons of the Premier League. So whilst I’d love to see some very good players through the Villa Park entrance door, we do have to get it right. At this moment I’d settle for two or three £40m+ quality players on the final day if it means they aren’t the type of player approaching their final contract in the land of milk and honey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

While it's getting a tad boring with no transfer activity I will start to draw for the panic button if there are still no signings by a week today.

Hopefully we see one or two additions arrive this week and the main flurry will start after the International friendlies.

People have been saying that for ages though - ie

I will worry if we haven't signed anyone with two weeks to go

one week to go

when the season starts

end of september

When the window closes

when the championship window closes

I believe DS said he wanted the players in early !!!!  - not always possible - but I would have thought it possible to get some in by now TBH. 

• Like 1

We don't want desperation signings but by the same token early signings are often of a quality that are easy to get over the line.

And no matter how much money we have, it makes no sense to pay over the odds for players, and no doubt the owners will want better value for their money this window than last.

I believe that we are being more careful, but also aiming higher, which makes the deals more difficult to achieve.

So don't panic; stay cool; it will be alright.