Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

All this talk about Watkins but what is happening around Benrahma?

It’s all gone very quiet. The last I heard he was isolating as he’d been with family in France. He was left out of their friendly squad the other day, but that’s probably an isolation thing rather than him being off somewhere.

Christian Eriksen would be THE signing to make if inter are releasing him.

Yes he is 28, yes his wages would be double our current highest wage but would be the 3rd midfielder leaving jack out wide and a massive upgrade on CH.

Clearly no way he would come here but frustrating that players of his quality are going for potentially 15 million and we are having to pay close to double that for potential.

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

Yes he is 28, yes his wages would be double our current highest wage but would be the 3rd midfielder leaving jack out wide and a massive upgrade on CH.

Clearly no way he would come here but frustrating that players of his quality are going for potentially 15 million and we are having to pay close to double that for potential.

The lower price has to be considered with the wages. You can get some very good players ‘cheap’ or even free, but the wages are mental. Fine if that’s our model for growth, but I don’t think it is. So players of his calibre can be bought relatively cheaply, but that’s somewhat because of the wages being high. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening mate.

12 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I don't disagree with you, but I think we're still a season or two away from being able to attract players like Eriksson and being able to offer him the wages he would command.

Think we'll hear something concrete, a surprise transfer, by 4pm. This is based on me working until 4pm and spending most of my time staring into the Twitter abyss. I want it to be for something today 

15 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

We're not paying "double that for potential", you can't just ignore the wages in the discussion. 

Eriksen on 150k a week 3 year deal and £15m transfer fee is nearly £40m

Watkins on 45k a week 3 year deal and £20m transfer fee is £27m. Closer to half than double. And Watkins will have resale potential and is on the up rather than on the decline. 

The likes of Eriksen only go to teams that are already pretty settled and are just having a player added for a short term boost who can afford the outlay, the likes of Spurs. We're not there yet, we're still building 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

All this talk about Watkins but what is happening around Benrahma?

Back in training this week but like Watkins not involved in the friendly yesterday.This transfer window is going to cause problems for many clubs as there is still 5 weeks to go till it shuts and most clubs would have played 5 games.Having quality players sitting these games out while their future is uncertain and results are poor will upset fans.You could suffer this if the speculation around Jacks future isn’t sorted.

3 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Back in training this week but like Watkins not involved in the friendly yesterday.This transfer window is going to cause problems for many clubs as there is still 5 weeks to go till it shuts and most clubs would have played 5 games.Having quality players sitting these games out while their future is uncertain and results are poor will upset fans.You could suffer this if the speculation around Jacks future isn’t sorted.

Jack wouldn’t sit out games 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

That would only happen if the club resigned to selling him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, weedman said:

We're not paying "double that for potential", you can't just ignore the wages in the discussion. 

Watkins on 45k a week 3 year deal and £20m transfer fee is £27m. Closer to half than double. And Watkins will have resale potential and is on the up rather than on the decline. 

The likes of Eriksen only go to teams that are already pretty settled and are just having a player added for a short term boost who can afford the outlay, the likes of Spurs. We're not there yet, we're still building 

The only issue I'd take with this post is that 28 is not 'on the decline', it's 'in his prime'. An athlete who looks after himself has at least 3-4 years of playing at the highest level left in him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jack wouldn’t sit out games 

He would if the club didn't pick him and they didn't want to risk an injury if he was 100% off. Why risk an asset at its peak price, gets injured then the price crashes.

I'm not sure Brentford can afford for 2 players with their value being around the 50 million mark to lose them due to injury, especially having already got replacements in. 

Shift them quickly at their highest value seems to be the way it goes.

52 minutes ago, weedman said:

And how much in extra media interest advertising world exposure thus increased revenue, does eriksen bring to the table.

Add in reassuring our best players that we are improving the quality of the team so they are more likely to stay, the other knock on of impressing potential signings that we are a viable option.

Getting in a player in his prime who is recognised as a top quality player, who has done it in the Premier league presents a far lesser risk than someone costing 25 million plus 45k pw is around 32 million over 3 years, so the financial difference of 8 million over 3 years to me seems a risk worth taking.

1 league position upwards next season is worth 6 million pounds.

Would eriksen improve us enough to move up 1 league position ?

Would eriksen going to say Everton move them up 1 position ? 

And as I already mentioned, we have no chance of getting him but its frustrating the clubs above us can possibly get him for far greater chance of success than we can get at the moment with minimal financial risks compared to say ollie watkins ( not against watkins signing, been suggesting it for 4 plus years) 

Edited by brummybloke

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The only issue I'd take with this post is that 28 is not 'on the decline', it's 'in his prime'. An athlete who looks after himself has at least 3-4 years of playing at the highest level left in him. 

I agree though whenever 28 year old Callum Wilson is discussed, a lot of posters think he is 'past it'. Perhaps your injury record chances people's perceptions.

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Of playing time, maybe. However, not in the terms of financial return. This is the age range where player start to depreciate in value