Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

In fairness no other Premier League club has exactly set the transfer window alight yet, have they? One or two worrying themselves over Leeds, but who here had mooted Koch and Rodrigo as desirable targets? Everton being linked/buying former big name players on astronomical wages. Yes it might be nice for a quick adrenaline hit and shirt sales, but will it translate to performance on the field in the next couple of seasons? Maybe, maybe not. Everton in particular have thrown an awful lot of money down the drain in recent seasons and haven’t exactly challenged the upper echelons of the Premier League. So whilst I’d love to see some very good players through the Villa Park entrance door, we do have to get it right. At this moment I’d settle for two or three £40m+ quality players on the final day if it means they aren’t the type of player approaching their final contract in the land of milk and honey. 

Messi at City will light up the place, or chelsea spending well over 200 mills.

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

In fairness no other Premier League club has exactly set the transfer window alight yet, have they? One or two worrying themselves over Leeds, but who here had mooted Koch and Rodrigo as desirable targets? Everton being linked/buying former big name players on astronomical wages. Yes it might be nice for a quick adrenaline hit and shirt sales, but will it translate to performance on the field in the next couple of seasons? Maybe, maybe not. Everton in particular have thrown an awful lot of money down the drain in recent seasons and haven’t exactly challenged the upper echelons of the Premier League. So whilst I’d love to see some very good players through the Villa Park entrance door, we do have to get it right. At this moment I’d settle for two or three £40m+ quality players on the final day if it means they aren’t the type of player approaching their final contract in the land of milk and honey. 

You don't think thats a tad unlikely ?  

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Precisely. So after the 4 year deal is up or nearing it's end, he's going to be 31 - 32 and have little resale value, if any.  You end up letting all the players go on a free. 

I have to say I'm amazed at the figures being bandied around for Messi.  Yes he's had an incredible season and been the best in the world for years now, but he's 33 now.  How much longer can he seriously go on for at the top of his game? He could have a rapid decline if the legs go.  Someone may be forking out £1bn for a single season, two tops from him. 

That kind of cash will buy you a lot of future Lionel Messi's. 

Or you keep them for another couple of years?

A player's value isn't just what they're worth monetarily speaking, it's about how much they can contribute to the team and players in their prime will obviously contribute the most. 

If you continually sell your best players when they hit 26 or so, you're not going to move forward. 

Transfers are a fine balancing act and value is more complex than just the money you can make off a player. 

10 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

This is an oft-repeated fallacy. Yes it's a difficult window, but suggesting other clubs aren't strengthening significantly simply isn't accurate.

Chelsea have spent a fortune bringing in some serious talent, Leeds as you've said have brought in numbers (whether you rate them or not is a matter of opinion rather than fact), Arsenal are doing some seriously tidy business despite having financial difficulties which is not something we're facing currently, City have obviously strengthened, etc. etc.

There are other clubs as quiet as us (Newcastle, Sheff Utd), but we are in the minority rather than the majority I'm afraid.

Personally I'll give it til Friday evening. If we're still in the same boat at that stage, I'll be quite worried.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

At this moment I’d settle for two or three £40m+ quality players on the final day if it means they aren’t the type of player approaching their final contract in the land of milk and honey. 

I only ever wanted four £25m-£40m players. I would like them before the last day though, but if it's last day or nothing, then final day it is. I just worry that the Sky reporter will say, the lights are off at Villa Park/Bodymoor on the final night of the window and we will still have all of our cash resting in our bank account.   

• Like 1

If it was up to me I'd have got the majority of business done already. However it's all beyond my control so I'm not going to get worried about the Transfer window.

We have enough to worry about during the season when they start playing to start worrying about transfers.!!! The off season is the time to relax as a Villa fan. 

Now where's my anti jitter pills.

Just now, string28 said:

Maybe christian purslow just cant get the signings over the line. Strange!

I just think usual Villa, get em in last minute, we have been like that a good long time. Last couple of weeks and I think players will start joining.

5 minutes ago, John said:

I only ever wanted four £25m-£40m players. I would like them before the last day though, but if it's last day or nothing, then final day it is. I just worry that the Sky reporter will say, the lights are off at Villa Park/Bodymoor on the final night of the window and we will still have all of our cash resting in our bank account.   

That won't happen.

We will spunk £20m on 2 bargains from Belgium or Turkey that are in fact pub players.

Just putting it out there but it could be that Villa are working on multiple signings to be announced together which might explain the delay? You have two, possibly three potential signings at Brentford for example.

1 minute ago, joshharris12 said:

Maybe the owners have lost interest 

I very much doubt it. They are likely leaving it to the people they pay to make the signings, if they fail to do so soon, I expect them to want to know why. 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

That won't happen.

We will spunk £20m on 2 bargains from Belgium or Turkey that are in fact pub players.

So we are prepared to look outside Belgium and Brentford? That's progress of sorts. ;)

We will sign players but I think a lot of fans will be left disappointed. Expectations are raised when we hear statements such as the owners want us to be challenging at the top end of the table and in Europe. That’s pretty much the aim of the majority of clubs in the league. 

16 minutes ago, est1874 said:

This is an oft-repeated fallacy. Yes it's a difficult window, but suggesting other clubs aren't strengthening significantly simply isn't accurate.

Chelsea have spent a fortune bringing in some serious talent, Leeds as you've said have brought in numbers (whether you rate them or not is a matter of opinion rather than fact), Arsenal are doing some seriously tidy business despite having financial difficulties which is not something we're facing currently, City have obviously strengthened, etc. etc.

There are other clubs as quiet as us (Newcastle, Sheff Utd), but we are in the minority rather than the majority I'm afraid.

Personally I'll give it til Friday evening. If we're still in the same boat at that stage, I'll be quite worried.

We’re not in the same market as Chelsea, City, and Arsenal, you understand that don’t you? That’s three clubs, we’re hardly in a minority.