January Transfers 2019/20

sne

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He has some ability as the Youtube reels show but I'm not really convinced on his organisation, dominance of six yard box or even his kicking. Think Heaton is better all round keeper so you had that issue of spending 20m on him and then Heaton gets fit again and has to play as he's simply much better.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying we should buy him at all, I’m just saying it feels too soon to write him off completely as a keeper.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Olivier Giroud is two weeks older than Gabby Agbonlahor.

Just saying.

Just saying not a lot! Shall we compare his age to all the other older footballers still playing and who didn't throw the best part of their career away?

• Like 1

If we go for Giroud, surely a 6-month loan works better for us and him. It sees him to the end of his contract so he can get a nice bumper contract on a free transfer for whoever comes in for him in the summer. The only party it doesn’t favour is Chelsea, who would presumably want a fee.

On Joe Hart, I know he’s had a phenomenal fall from grace, but surely he’s still better than Nyland? I’m very concerned that we seem to be putting so much stock in a player who has had 2-3 good games this season, but prior to that looked like a League One keeper.

56 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

If we go for Giroud, surely a 6-month loan works better for us and him. It sees him to the end of his contract so he can get a nice bumper contract on a free transfer for whoever comes in for him in the summer. The only party it doesn’t favour is Chelsea, who would presumably want a fee.

On Joe Hart, I know he’s had a phenomenal fall from grace, but surely he’s still better than Nyland? I’m very concerned that we seem to be putting so much stock in a player who has had 2-3 good games this season, but prior to that looked like a League One keeper.

Agree on Giroud, a loan for the rest of the season, possibly with an option if we stay up is the way to go.

Honesty don't know about Hart thou. The way he performed for especially Torino and West Ham was comical and he's hardly featured at all this season for Burnley so he will be rusty as all he**. Even more so than Nyland.

He will also cost a lot more money. I'd be very worried if we start going down the around 30 on big contracts, PL experience but past it route again with the likes of Hart and Drinkwater.

Giroud I guess fall in the same category in some ways, but with a bit of context he really doesn't.

Edited by sne

56 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He has also only scored 5 goals for Chelsea n 45 games over a 2 year period....................and just think about how much stick a young kid was getting for scoring 6 in less than half that number of games and all in his first season! It’s a big risk.

Did play almost every minute for World Cup winning France in the 2018 WC thou.

Granted, once again without scoring goals :D 

13 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

February, 7 games between now and then though.

That’s a fair Few’s games, but not terrible I guess. I doubt we’ll buy a GK especially as we’ve recalled the lad from Livingstone. I think we may even take the view that we can use the none spending on a GK as an example of prudent spending with regards to FFP. Then spend £50m + on a striker and winger 😀

I don't see us being interested in Giroud. He doesn't fit the profile of what we're trying to do. He's a tidy player with a goal or 2 in him but he's well past his best and would command big money.

We're not trying to fill a short term gap as I see it. We needed and now desperately need a genuine number 1 striker. We have the money, we seemingly don't look to do loans dogmatically, although I think that's unnecessary, so I don't see somebody coming in on loan unless there was a potentially long Villa career to follow.

Still, we need 2 and we can't afford to  pontificate all month long so who knows? I think, for all the cute play around the box there might be, we need a more prolific or potentially prolific finisher... and that finisher's apprentice.

What we need is Villa's Benteke from 5 years ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I spose you are right but I'd prefer loans to buy all the way.

At least Smith has said:  has dismissed any Financial Fair Play concerns ahead of January spending – but warned fans there won’t be “endless” money to throw around.

Seems like there is abit of money to buy who were looking for, sounds alot like we will be looking for bargains and we won't be going after anyone way overpriced and expensive just to compete with others. I don't mind so long as we do our scouting right and make sure they will fit us and when they come in will want to prove themselves to the club.

Well he’s not going to say we have an infinite amount of money to spend, as clubs would just jack up the price. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Why would we want to take someone who struggled at West Ham and can’t get into the Burnley lineup, to come and be our 1st choice keeper? We might as well just use our own keepers, who our coaching staff get to spend every training session with and knows what they are capable of. 

Bringing in Hart just makes zero sense. 

Spoilers also - Joe Hart doesn't actually want to play football anymore either. Head has totally gone. Can't deal with being a No.1. Will retire early

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Why would we want to take someone who struggled at West Ham and can’t get into the Burnley lineup, to come and be our 1st choice keeper? We might as well just use our own keepers, who our coaching staff get to spend every training session with and knows what they are capable of. 

Bringing in Hart just makes zero sense. 

Nyland was such a liability, that as soon as Dean Smith had the chance, he replaced him. And as a club, we were so desperate to replace him, we signed someone that we then have needed to replace. 

I'm not sold on Joe Hart, but at this point, trusting Nyland is a massive gamble  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1