Jump to content

January Transfers 2019/20


sne
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

He has also only scored 5 goals for Chelsea n 45 games over a 2 year period....................and just think about how much stick a young kid was getting for scoring 6 in less than half that number of games and all in his first season! It’s a big risk.

Not sure how a 33 year old reserve team striker is somehow comparable to a 23 year old young striker who is starting every week but those stats aren't even correct or at least paint a very skewed picture. He's actually scored 16 goals in the last 2 years for Chelsea if you count the Europa league, which I'm counting because you decided to also include Wesley's goal in the league cup. 

 

 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Giroud doesn’t fit what the board/management were trying to aim for or what the fans have been screaming for for the last 6 months.  The management have talked about young, hungry players that have sell on value....so maybe they have slightly altered that given when need more experience on the pitch.  

But the fans have wanted more goals from a striker, reaction time from a striker and maybe more pace....Giroud is none of them.  He’s a great player in his own right but seems opposite of what both the management and fans have been calling for.  This just seems like fans wanting a name player rather than somebody who fits our style or expectation in the way we should play.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed, I think Batshuayi makes more sense. Samatta too, they both would have some sell on value, are a bit more experienced at 26/27 in theory should be hitting their prime. 

Batshuayi I feel fits the bill of a January buy more as he's done OK in a couple of leagues and has played in the Prem before. It wouldn't be a 'Meltdown' signing but it would be sensible, particularly if the loan fee is less than a couple million, with a Permanent option on the table and allows us to spend money on a Winger to feed him

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Giroud doesn’t fit what the board/management were trying to aim for or what the fans have been screaming for for the last 6 months.  The management have talked about young, hungry players that have sell on value....so maybe they have slightly altered that given when need more experience on the pitch.  

But the fans have wanted more goals from a striker, reaction time from a striker and maybe more pace....Giroud is none of them.  He’s a great player in his own right but seems opposite of what both the management and fans have been calling for.  This just seems like fans wanting a name player rather than somebody who fits our style or expectation in the way we should play.

 

So you're saying the fans want a striker who scores loads of goals, has amazing reaction time and loads of pace?

Who'd have thought! Should be ten a penny!

Seriously though, if Giroud is still capable of playing at his level then there is no way we should turn our noses up at him. We do need experience and we do need a striker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not sure how a 33 year old reserve team striker is somehow comparable to a 23 year old young striker who is starting every week but those stats aren't even correct or at least paint a very skewed picture. He's actually scored 16 goals in the last 2 years for Chelsea if you count the Europa league, which I'm counting because you decided to also include Wesley's goal in the league cup. 

 

 

We’re not in the Europa League. He has 5 in 45 league games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Nyland was such a liability, that as soon as Dean Smith had the chance, he replaced him. And as a club, we were so desperate to replace him, we signed someone that we then have needed to replace. 

I'm not sold on Joe Hart, but at this point, trusting Nyland is a massive gamble  

I don’t think I could agree more on Nyland. He seemed so far out of his depth when he got his run last year. He was absolutely clueless on aerial balls into the box last season, needlessly coming off his line to try and catch or punch the ball out. I honestly hope he starts today so everyone can get a refresher on how he plays. His run this month will ultimately decide our fate and that’s terrifying. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
3 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

I don’t think I could agree more on Nyland. He seemed so far out of his depth when he got his run last year. He was absolutely clueless on aerial balls into the box last season, needlessly coming off his line to try and catch or punch the ball out. I honestly hope he starts today so everyone can get a refresher on how he plays. His run this month will ultimately decide our fate and that’s terrifying. 

Great claim from Westwood's late corner at Burnley though. Perhaps he's been learning!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We’re not in the Europa League. He has 5 in 45 league games.

Then don't count Wesley's league cup goal either. We should only be looking at the PL right?

And also, that's still a very unfair comparison considering Giroud is a sub for almost all his PL games. If you count by minutes per goal, he has a 327 minutes per goal ratio for Chelsea in the PL. Not good, but still higher than Wesley's. But you know, you can only make this comparison if you ignore his Europa league games in which he started most of them, his goal ratio during the same season for Arsenal he had before he moved to Chelsea, the assists he provides to the team which all make him look better.

I don't want Giroud to come here, I just think comparing Wesley and Giroud along those lines is very unfair.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Tayls said:

Why would we want to take someone who struggled at West Ham and can’t get into the Burnley lineup, to come and be our 1st choice keeper? We might as well just use our own keepers, who our coaching staff get to spend every training session with and knows what they are capable of. 

Bringing in Hart just makes zero sense. 

Why would we take Bournemouth’s 5th choice centreback off them? Dunno, but we did. Burnley and West Ham are both years ahead of us, unfortunately.

I’m fairly confident that Hart is still a better keeper than Nyland, who has received serious amounts of praise on AVFC Twitter just for catching a routine corner against Burnley.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Then don't count Wesley's league cup goal either. We should only be looking at the PL right?

And also, that's still a very unfair comparison considering Giroud is a sub for almost all his PL games. If you count by minutes per goal, he has a 327 minutes per goal ratio for Chelsea in the PL. Not good, but still higher than Wesley's. But you know, you can only make this comparison if you ignore his Europa league games in which he started most of them, his goal ratio during the same season for Arsenal he had before he moved to Chelsea, the assists he provides to the team which all make him look better.

I don't want Giroud to come here, I just think comparing Wesley and Giroud along those lines is very unfair.

Fair enough. My point is, although he was once a great player, it’s a risk to take him now. He will be 34 this year. His recent return in the league is poor. Your point about minutes per goal is relevant but if he was doing well he would get more minutes. It’s also easier to score in an established Chelsea team than a developing Villa one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Fair enough. My point is, although he was once a great player, it’s a risk to take him now. He will be 34 this year. His recent return in the league is poor. Your point about minutes per goal is relevant but if he was doing well he would get more minutes. It’s also easier to score in an established Chelsea team than a developing Villa one.

Well yeah, but its also far harder to get into an established Chelsea team than a developing Villa one. Hence, less minutes.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not sure how a 33 year old reserve team striker is somehow comparable to a 23 year old young striker who is starting every week but those stats aren't even correct or at least paint a very skewed picture. He's actually scored 16 goals in the last 2 years for Chelsea if you count the Europa league, which I'm counting because you decided to also include Wesley's goal in the league cup.

I found it weird questioning Giroud's strike rate in the first place. He's a very good striker who's never had a problem scoring consistently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â