January Transfers 2019/20

sne

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith playing down our chances of singing any decent players, saying no one will want to sell their players. We aren't going to find a miracle fix with new signings, and if we sign five or six like some are suggesting then we're going to have the same problem that we had in the first half of the season that being that they need time to settle in and gel as a team, something the players signed in the summer haven't managed yet. As well as new players, we also need Smith and coaching team to improve the players we already have.

Smith also indicated that he had been preparing January signings and the injuries would bring forward his plans.

I can't imagine if hes not getting anyone he is bringing those plans forward to not get anyone sooner?

Hopefully just not indicating he has x amount to splurge which drives prices up

For me, we need to fill the three enormous gaps that the injuries to McGinn, Wesley and Heaton have caused, as a minimum. We also need to do everything possible to have done that by the time that we travel to Brighton, in my opinion. How we do it, what that costs and whether we bring in loans or buy each player, is not as crucial for me, as is the time that we take to bring in the quality that we so badly need.         

I don't think he's saying that we won't sign anyone at all, just that it's hard to sign decent players in January as clubs are reluctant to let them go. Basically I think we can forget about signing a lot of players that are being mentioned like Mitrovic, Benrahama, Bowen, Giroud, and so on, it will be a patch up job with a couple of loan singings, and maybe some signings similar to those which we made in the summer and when I say I say similar I don't mean necessarily of the same quality (hopefully they will be better), but speculative purchases from Europe for around £10m. But those two loans if they're decent players with options to buy could make the difference for us, especially if one is a striker that can score goals.

I don't think we'll do as many deals as people hope for. I think we'll buy a new striker (Bowen or Mitrovic? ) and a new wide forward (Benrahma?). I think we will then loan another striker (Batshuayi?) and another central midfielder (who knows?) to cover McGinn's absence. 

Other than those I think that'll be it. He's got three 'keepers already and Steer to come back before the end of the season. Means that the players we already had, deemed not good enough to start, will what we have to rely on. 

I think he'll keep the defence as it is because we have a plethora of them. 

He's got Luiz and Nakamba to play the deeper midfield role. So, I think the management team will simply think they just need to add to the forward line and cover McGinn's absence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In fairness we have a championship squad, 

4 PL players in Mings, Heaton, McGinn & Jack.

5 potentials in Wesley, D luiz, Guilbert, Trez, Anwar

5 that are up in the Air: Konsa, Hause, Davis, Engels, Marvelous 

the rest of the squad is mid level championship. 

Connor (although does get goals)

kodjia, Elmo, Chester, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota plus the keepers we should be looking to move on and replace. 

In jan we need 5 players 3 ready mad PL players and 2 more potentials

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We need a goalkeeper, a left back, a right back, a defensive midflelder, a central midfielder, three wingers and two strikers.

(Please).

I’m not so hard to please. I’d be happy with just three wingers, two strikers (one world class) and a central midfielder (must be goal scoring but who can also tackle). 

• Haha 1

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/moussa-marega-aston-villa-transfer-17512979

Striker makes Premier League demand amid Aston Villa interest - report

Moussa Marega wants to be playing in the Premier League by the start of next season, according to reports.

The Porto striker has his heart set on a move to England, with Aston Villa believed to be one of the clubs keen on acquiring his services.

Dean Smith is believed to be in the market for a striker after first choice Wesley Moraes had his season ended on New Year’s Day.

0_GettyImages-1134098602.jpg

Villa were linked with a move for the Mali international in the summer, but he would eventually stay with the Portuguese club.

The Express have reported that Marega was told a deal had been agreed with West Ham in the previous window, but for the second year in a row, it fell through.

With his contract expiring in 18 months, Porto are resigned to losing the striker who has an ‘ultimate ambition’ to play in England’s top flight.

It is reported that the Hammers are still interested, but Villa have been monitoring him, most recently sending scouts to Portugal in December.

The report claims that Marega has a release clause of £26m, substantially lower than it was in the summer, but still at a value that could price Villa out of a move.

A whole host of strikers have been linked with a move to B6, with Jnathan Kodjia the only fit, senior striker available to Smith.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't think we'll do as many deals as people hope for. I think we'll buy a new striker (Bowen or Mitrovic? ) and a new wide forward (Benrahma?). I think we will then loan another striker (Batshuayi?) and another central midfielder (who knows?) to cover McGinn's absence. 

Other than those I think that'll be it. He's got three 'keepers already and Steer to come back before the end of the season. Means that the players we already had, deemed not good enough to start, will what we have to rely on. 

I think he'll keep the defence as it is because we have a plethora of them. 

He's got Luiz and Nakamba to play the deeper midfield role. So, I think the management team will simply think they just need to add to the forward line and cover McGinn's absence. 

I don’t think too many are expecting more than 3-4 signings just as long as they’re better than what’s already at the club.

Concerning Luiz and Nakamba I don’t think either are Premiership quality. However they will have to do until the summer when hopefully Villa will still be a Premiership team and can attract better?

Edited by striker

I’m not expecting any activity until the last day or 2 of the window. If we can do an early deal that will be a huge bonus but that’s not the norm in January. Any money should go on a striker/wide player, unless we somehow manage to get a quality forward on loan. I guess it will be tricky until we know which one of the 4 rumoured Chelsea players we are allegedly loaning. 

My expectations are more Richard Dawkins than Darren Bent in this window..

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Anyone who thinks whilst we have every possibility going down we are going to drop 50m on Bowen and Mitro is deluded.

Thats probably exactly WHY they would be doing it. To prevent that.

i'm thinking any big business done would be with creative payment structures though.

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Our owners aren't mental like past ones and it makes horrific business sense.

They also won’t risk going down either which will cost potentially more than 50m.  

Not saying those two players are the players but I can easily see the owners dropping 50m on the players the board/management feel right.

I dont want us to ever sign more than 3 or 4 signings in a window again, however it was unfortunately unavoidable in the summer.

3 to 4 I'd expect this window, and this is is only to fill the gaping gaps.

• Like 1

Folks have to realise that there is only a limited pot of money that can be spent.

If we buy big this window then the summer will probably be really quiet, you have to pay the piper at some point.

Those expecting a big outlay now, would you be happy with mo business in the summer?