Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

So…..Nakamba struggles in 19/20 in a Villa team that generally struggled, plays pretty well whenever called upon in a much improved Villa team 20/21 and has looked one of the better players in pre-season, yet he still isn’t rated on the whole. What has he got to do to get the credit he deserves?

Continue to improve. Just like targett last season ?

Players will need to improve each season as we hopefully climb the table, if they don't they will get moved on for better players. That's how it works when the team continually improves 

19 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

So…..Nakamba struggles in 19/20 in a Villa team that generally struggled, plays pretty well whenever called upon in a much improved Villa team 20/21 and has looked one of the better players in pre-season, yet he still isn’t rated on the whole. What has he got to do to get the credit he deserves?

Have a more modest name, one that is easier to live up to 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think he'll start against Watford. And the position will be his to lose from there.

He's looked very good every time I've seen him recently. Back end of last season and pre-season highlights. He really is progressing, and I think he could easily still improve further.

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Continue to improve. Just like targett last season ?

Players will need to improve each season as we hopefully climb the table, if they don't they will get moved on for better players. That's how it works when the team continually improves 

But if he is not given game time, how is he supposed to improve?

From what I've seen of him in the games he has played in he has looked really good and a travesty that he was taken out of the team.

There's a solid little player in there and I don't think he are using him to the full extent.

• Like 1

People just seeing what it's like having a proper DCM(Douglas isn't a DCM) in the team looks like. 

Not because Nakamba has suddenly become amazing. he's an average DCM and if we really have serious ambition to get near the top it's an obvious position to replace and upgrade. 

And that's coming from someone who called for Nakamba lots of times last season to make us harder to break down. 

29 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

People just seeing what it's like having a proper DCM(Douglas isn't a DCM) in the team looks like. 

Not because Nakamba has suddenly become amazing. he's an average DCM and if we really have serious ambition to get near the top it's an obvious position to replace and upgrade. 

And that's coming from someone who called for Nakamba lots of times last season to make us harder to break down. 

As somebody who has been stanning for Nakamba since day one, I fully agree with the sentiment here. The fact that he has improved to a level he can be considered an average Premier League DM is fantastic, especially at the price we paid. But a more progressive passer/carrier with a similar defensive profile is such an obvious upgrade for us now. 

• Like 3

I like Nakamba. His off the ball work is excellent, he’s strong, has a great engine, very quick to steal the ball cleanly and can also put in a huge nasty tackle.

But his touch and his passing are shocking. That’s the trade off.

And that‘s basic talent that doesn’t really improve with age. He can be coached to make better decisions on the ball, and we’ve seen some of that I think. But he’ll always have that heavy touch or mishit pass in his locker - you only have to watch him knocking the ball around in the prematch warmup.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

But according to some people having a defensive midfielder who's main task is winning the ball and making it difficult for the opponent is an outdated role. 

Everton want to sign Marvelous Nakamba but Aston Villa are likely to make a profit on the midfielder, according to Mike McGrath.

In his latest Transfer Notebook, the Daily Telegraph reporter claimed that the Toffees and Watford are “monitoring” the 27-year-old Villa man.

However, if Everton want to sign him, they could be required to pay more than the £11million that Villa paid to Club Brugge for the Zimbabwean international in the summer of 2019.

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2021/08/11/everton-want-to-sign-marvelous-nakamba-eight-figure-fee-required/

On 09/08/2021 at 21:04, Woody1000 said:

I think he could be a Des Brenner , Paul Birch type. Not spectacular but performs a vital role within the side.

I wasn't convinced for a long time. But his appearances toward the end of last season and in the friendlees this season he has done well enough imo.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2021 at 08:24, villalad21 said:

But according to some people having a defensive midfielder who's main task is winning the ball and making it difficult for the opponent is an outdated role. 

It isn’t if your happy to settle for bottom half places , every top defensive midfielder has to be able to contribute to the attacking build up, they’re not expected to get goals or tones of assists but carrying the ball out of and being calm and quick in possession is what Kante, Rodri, Fabinho ect do, Tbf West Ham don’t play with a dmc but have a imposing one in Soucek who contributes with a lot of goals, If all you want is a big man who tackles and lays it off might as well stick Mings there

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It isn’t if your happy to settle for bottom half places , every top defensive midfielder has to be able to contribute to the attacking build up, they’re not expected to get goals or tones of assists but carrying the ball out of and being calm and quick in possession is what Kante, Rodri, Fabinho ect do, Tbf West Ham don’t play with a dmc but have a imposing one in Soucek who contributes with a lot of goals, If all you want is a big man who tackles and lays it off might as well stick Mings there

That's fine.

But a good defensive midfielder also have to have defensive instincts. Got to love the art of defending.

All the players you mentioned has got that. I don't think any players are looking forward playing against those.

While I think a lot of players fancy their chances against Luiz

Â