Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

He's done his jobb when called upon. Plays it saves, as he should. He's one that's constantly improving. I'm looking forward to seeing him play next season. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Bloody well better not be, he's a lot better than many on here give him credit for. 

Our win rate with him in the team is astounding. 

No one can blame him if another club offers him regular playtime and he wants to leave.

For whatever reason he isn't getting it here. Barely played last season despite playing well

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

No one can blame him if another club offers him regular playtime and he wants to leave.

For whatever reason he isn't getting it here. Barely played last season despite playing well

Fairly sure he will get 20+ appearances this season, Luiz desperate for a rest and isn't back until at least mid-September. Nakamba finished the season as our starting DM. 

Both clubs (allegedly) interested would be a substantial step down from where we are as a club right now and he's very very well liked at the club. 

Can't see it but I would be very disappointed if it was sanctioned. 

If we got anywhere near money back for Nakamba I'd be chuffed. 

Not good enough for the level we need to be at. However even at his limited level proved what a proper DCM is capable off. No way we should sell unless we have a better DCM lined up. 

16 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Bloody well better not be, he's a lot better than many on here give him credit for. 

Our win rate with him in the team is astounding. 

I was sure this can't have been true so checked for myself, but apparently it is.

We won 5/9 games of which he started in last season which translates to a win percentage of 56 percent. Compared to a win percentage of 38 percent when he didn't start.

Been a lot of talk on here of a DCM this summer and if we did make that move someone has to go as there is no point having three players (new, Nakamba and Luiz) for one position (I’d see Sanson, McGinn) covering the other position. I like Marvelous and he always makes an impact defensively but if we want to dominate (even for spells of a game) against teams like City, Chelsea, Utd we need everyone to be bullet proof on the ball. We will only be selling Marvelous if we think we’ve got someone else who does his defensive stuff and is a big upgrade on the ball. 

Interesting to think who that could be?! 

Edited by villaglint

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Pape Matar Sarr, £20m-ish from Metz. Will be our DM for years to come. 

I've heard people say he's already Metz's best player. If that's the case, then it feels like such a no-brainer to sign him at that price even if he's only just come on to the scene because even if he stagnates' he's probably already good enough to start for us anyway and if he gets better which is very liikely considering he's very young age, then we would have a position we have considerable strength in. If he develops into a world class player, which is a distinct possibility even better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I've heard people say he's already Metz's best player. If that's the case, then it feels like such a no-brainer to sign him at that price even if he's only just come on to the scene because even if he stagnates' he's probably already good enough to start for us anyway and if he gets better which is very liikely considering he's very young age, then we would have a position we have considerable strength in. If he develops into a world class player, which is a distinct possibility even better.

Suppose it’s important to be consistent and lay down a marker of never over paying. If we go to £25m for a £20m player then that ends up being £80m for a £60m player in two summer’s time. 

I do hope we don’t let this kid slip through our fingers though (don’t think we will).

49 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I was sure this can't have been true so checked for myself, but apparently it is.

We won 5/9 games of which he started in last season which translates to a win percentage of 56 percent. Compared to a win percentage of 38 percent when he didn't start.

Wasn't our goals against really good with him in the side too? Seem to remember we went quite a few games without conceding when he was in the side? 

It’d be strange to let him go over a player like Hourihane, and even stranger to let them both go. 

I’d rather keep him as he has a role in our midfield, but if we are planning on a new CDM then it makes total sense to cash in if the price is right. 

5 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Wasn't our goals against really good with him in the side too? Seem to remember we went quite a few games without conceding when he was in the side? 

Yeah. We conceded only 6 goals in the 9 games he started or 0.67 goals every game as opposed to 1.4 goals every game he didn't start.

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yeah. We conceded only 6 goals in the 9 games he started or 0.67 goals every game as opposed to 1.4 goals every game he didn't start.

Sample size of games he didn't start is also triple that of the games he did.

It might sound contrary to intuition and common-sense expectation, but the better we get then the better the players will get that we can afford to let go, good sides sell good players all the time, not their best ones that they want to keep, but it follows that as your squad gets stronger and stronger then the players that become surplas to requirements will be better than say when the squad wasn't very good, not saying we should sell Nakamba, but something we may have to get used to is selling squad players that we like but the club might feel they can improve upon to help us reach our goals.

• Like 2

Â