Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

3 minutes ago, andym said:

When you are having to say things like 'can do a job but only in certain games', 'shouldnt be asked to do more than block', 'can't play in a two' then what is the point of having him?

We will get nowhere with players with so many limitations

He simply cannot control or possess the ball to the standard required

Totally agree. He's one of those players that people think is good when he's not playing or when he makes a short cameo in a win. When he starts games its obvious he's yet another one of the poor players we bought from Belgium in very dubious circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We really need to upgrade on Nakamba, it feels like he was scouted for the Championship. His passing is just not up to Premier League standard, and I don't only mean the missplaced passes, it's more the build up play where he only takes the safe option and taps it back. The CM position is vital to the build up play, if we have a midfielder who can't controbute but just passes it back to our defence, then our whole play will be just Mings or Konsa hoofing it. As Ings isn't a target player that wont work for us.

If we wanted someone to just work hard then we could as well bring back Yacouba Sylla.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

We really need to upgrade on Nakamba, it feels like he was scouted for the Championship. His passing is just not up to Premier League standard, and I don't only mean the missplaced passes, it's more the build up play where he only takes the safe option and taps it back. The CM position is vital to the build up play, if we have a midfielder who can't controbute but just passes it back to our defence, then our whole play will be just Mings or Konsa hoofing it. As Ings isn't a target player that wont work for us.

If we wanted someone to just work hard then we could as well bring back Yacouba Sylla.

Yeah it's this. I'm not sure what was happening with Targett yesterday, but Nakamba having nothing to offer in a progressive sense was one of the glaring problems in our team. He had so much of the ball, but bar one great and surprising run and one basic pass out to the full back he did nothing but slow us down and make a basic pass. When he did try a medium-difficulty pass he messed it up and we faced an immediate counter.

As a club, we do seem to hang on to players like Nakamba for an inordinate amount of time. It was pretty obvious after his arrival that he was a journeyman. Not terrible, just not very good. Nowhere near good enough for where we want to get to. Needs to be shipped out and any fee put towards a quality replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thought Nakamba actually played some decent balls forward, swear he pinged it and switched play on one occasion, maybe cos it was Barrow and he had more confidence. It's the most I've seen him pass forward in any game.

• Like 2

Starting to look like, as with Trez ( As much as I love him ), they have to be at 110 percent sharpness, focus and form to look decent.

Any sort of dip, and they revert to type.

He can have a decent career, but if we are serious about progressing, we need to improve on him IMO.

Having said that, he could still just be very rusty 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, supermon said:

Am I the only one who thought Nakamba actually played some decent balls forward, swear he pinged it and switched play on one occasion, maybe cos it was Barrow and he had more confidence. It's the most I've seen him pass forward in any game.

There has to be a scapegoat even in a 6-0 win. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, supermon said:

Him and Conor dominated the middle of the park and showed leadership and experience 

• Like 1

Amazing how different we see it. I thought he was clumsy and awkward and slow in his decision making and movement.

He might be undercooked too, and he's had better games, but I've seen enough to say he isn't good enough. It's nothing to do with needing a scapegoat. This is a critical position and we need better, that's all.

• Like 3

Absolutely bossed a game against Barrow. Not sure what else there is to say. Like Conor with time and space he will get into good pockets and run the show. Against good opposition he won't. It's that tiny margin at the top level they fall down on.

Sometimes maybe good sometimes maybe shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

95% pass accuracy from 72 passes, only Targett made more passes and nobody that started had better accuracy. 

Joint most tackles in our team as well 

Fair stats in isolation. Would you say he and Targett were our best players? I definitely would not. Probably the worst two along with Axel. Targett in his defence just needs time and the same with Axel.

His passing stats don't state how effective the passes were, how long he took to make them, how slow he moves etc. You can play a daft pass and as long as it gets to the player it's an accurate pass. It might be the wrong choice or a hospital ball. I don't recall watching the game and thinking Nakamba was effective in passing. And neither is this all about last night.

Anyway, I'm not looking to lay into Nakamba. I have nothing against him and he seems a really nice guy. I just think we need a sharper, more technical and certainly more mobile player in there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

His passing stats don't state how effective the passes were, how long he took to make them, how slow he moves etc. You can play a daft pass and as long as it gets to the player it's an accurate pass

A DM job is to win possession and recycle the ball. Whelan had similar stats in our promotion run winning streak and loads didn't rate him for ages but gave a pass because we were winning. Seen for years on here and I mean years going back to Gueye that a DM with have does their job and people say they're crap because they have an incorrect view of DM role. That's my opinion anyway

• Like 1

Â