Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

On 09/08/2021 at 21:04, Woody1000 said:

So…..Nakamba struggles in 19/20 in a Villa team that generally struggled, plays pretty well whenever called upon in a much improved Villa team 20/21 and has looked one of the better players in pre-season, yet he still isn’t rated on the whole. What has he got to do to get the credit he deserves?

I agree to an extent but he only played 13 games last year. Can he take another step and be the main man this season? 

I think for all our discussion only our staff who see him day in and day out can answer that with any certainty.

Marvellous is very underrated on here. Every time I’ve seen him playing he has impressed me. Gives the Villa midfield a new dimension of physicality and athleticism. I’ve also found his distribution to be more than decent.

If Villa sign Prowse I’d keep him as first change CM with Luiz sold.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It isn’t if your happy to settle for bottom half places , every top defensive midfielder has to be able to contribute to the attacking build up, they’re not expected to get goals or tones of assists but carrying the ball out of and being calm and quick in possession is what Kante, Rodri, Fabinho ect do, Tbf West Ham don’t play with a dmc but have a imposing one in Soucek who contributes with a lot of goals, If all you want is a big man who tackles and lays it off might as well stick Mings there

Rice is a DCM so they do but I don’t really want to see us looking up to West Ham 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Every department is crucial.....but the engine room, is what it is.

Its central to controlling games....if we want to finish half way and play smash and grab to get results, its ok....if we want European football, midfield needs to be stronger., more durable and more athletic.

Why do people not trust the coaching staff to improve the actual players we already have. What's to say we won't see an improvement this season on last with say Nakamba like we did with Targett last season vs the previous. What I keep seeing posted translates as I don't rate and never will player X Y Z so let's go out and throw money at the problem and hope it works. 

(The above is aimed at a lot of posts in general, not you specifically)

47 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why do people not trust the coaching staff to improve the actual players we already have. What's to say we won't see an improvement this season on last with say Nakamba like we did with Targett last season vs the previous. What I keep seeing posted translates as I don't rate and never will player X Y Z so let's go out and throw money at the problem and hope it works. 

If Nakamba was able to make that kind of jump that would be huge for our midfield.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Coaches can teach players ways to improve their game. They can’t give players abilities they’ll have never had. Nakamba is 27 now.  

What do you think a coach is able to make him do?

edit: Not a dig at Nakamba, I like him.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

If Nakamba was able to make that kind of jump that would be huge for our midfield.

In the bits we saw of Nakamba towards the end of the season, the potential is definitely there.

He impressed me no end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In the bits we saw of Nakamba towards the end of the season, the potential is definitely there.

He impressed me no end.

I still think in a game where he’s rushed, he’ll revert to type and look a bit clumsy if he has to make a decision and quick. I do like him. Great pro id imagine on a day to day basis. He can move the ball on swiftly no problem but in a game where you need someone to take it into space a bit and not be afraid of the ball, im not sold on him. No player perfect though i guess. Luiz i think he’s great technical ability but casual as they come and not gonna change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Totally agree with what you are saying. People are forgetting that before the covid outbreak at the club we were in the top 3 for least shots faced and after the covid outbreak we went down that list unfortunately. It's almost as though they've forgotten how to limit shots all of a sudden. 

The covid stuff slowed us down. We'll be back on that tight defensive level again. Nakamba will sort it all out. Our attackers are amongst the best pressers in the league. Sanson is one of the best in Europe in terms of pressing too. 

We're going to be horrible to play against.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Every department is crucial.....but the engine room, is what it is.

Its central to controlling games....if we want to finish half way and play smash and grab to get results, its ok....if we want European football, midfield needs to be stronger., more durable and more athletic.

Having worked in a professional coaching set up, it’s not uncommon for assistants, coaches and ancillary staff to move on, or be moved on.

It may seem harsh, but just like you buy players to improve a squad, you make changes to improve the coaching staff. I’m not saying this is the case, but good coaches realise they have a ceiling and realise someone else is required to take the team forward.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 1

Would genuinely love to know why some think he's a better DM than Luiz.

O.k Doug was up and down last season but he can at least pass and intercept reasonably well (and also knows when to do a tactical foul when other team are breaking). Nakamba gives the ball away so needlessly at times and concedes dangerous free kicks.

Would be calling Luiz off holiday in preparation for Newcastle early next week tbh.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Deservedly got the shirt today.

And he lost it today.

Why did he deserve it? Playing well against rubbish pre season opponents clearly doesn't mean much!

I'm normally a very positive fan and really don't like to focus on negatives or single players out.

But that was one of the worst performances I've seen from a Villa player in a long, long time. Nowhere near good enough.

A quality DCM is an absolute must before the window closes.

• Like 2

I hate piling on a player but he was that bad. He should never play in a game where we will have the majority of possession. It's crazy how he receives a pass then just stands there. Killed every attack we had in the first half. 

• Like 1

Â