Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If we sold both, how would we manage should that £60m DM get injured or suspended?

I don’t think you’d need to spend anywhere near that much for one either, 20-30m would probably do. Boubacar Kamara would be ideal and could even be bought for less with his contract situation…

Fair, I'd keep marv over Dougie as back up if I thought through properly and yes BK should be high up on our list. Infact it shouldn't cost us anything if we did flip DL.

That being said, have we given Dougie enough time, how has the language barrier affected his progression. However, with him being away and then holidays then getting him up to speed, you're question to me about cover is relevant now, we need another now.

I’d keep Marc full stop. He’s good at breaking up play and will be on the bench should we get a Kamara or similar (which I think we should). He’s also young enough to be around for a bit should we have our eye on one or two of our youngsters stepping up. Could Raikhy be that moving forward or Lindley or even Dom Revan as I know he’s played DM on the odd occasion?

For me we’re crying out for someone who can break up play but then do something with it.

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Fair, I'd keep marv over Dougie as back up if I thought through properly and yes BK should be high up on our list. Infact it shouldn't cost us anything if we did flip DL.

That being said, have we given Dougie enough time, how has the language barrier affected his progression. However, with him being away and then holidays then getting him up to speed, you're question to me about cover is relevant now, we need another now.

Na, I’d keep Doug. Funny how the tune has changed after everyone was worried about that buyback clause…

Doug has quality and huge potential, still young. We mustn’t forget the part he played in helping us stay up, arguably our best performer after returning from lockdown…

Marv is very limited and a lot older…

We need players with genuine quality, composure on the ball and an eye for a pass and ability to retain it…

You don’t see top teams with players like Marv, you’ve got to have more to your game…

But no problem with keeping him either. Seems a good lad and useful from the bench or for cover…

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Na, I’d keep Doug. Funny how the tune has changed after everyone was worried about that buyback clause…

Doug has quality and huge potential, still young. We mustn’t forget the part he played in helping us stay up, arguably our best performer after returning from lockdown…

Marv is very limited and a lot older…

We need players with genuine quality, composure on the ball and an eye for a pass and ability to retain it…

You don’t see top teams with players like Marv, you’ve got to have more to your game…

But no problem with keeping him either. Seems a good lad and useful from the bench or for cover…

I like them both but both have weaknesses, as you say Dougie is younger and can be molded into the player we need.

Why do you think there is such a difference between good Doug / poor Doug (i know he's not a poor player before you rant)......... potentially world class for a run to poor in games for a run of games?

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Listen mate I know it's still raw for some fans but Albrighton left like 7 years ago get over it. 

It’s my fat fingers and stupid autocorrect!

We so shouldn’t have sold Albrighton though….oh no what have you done?!? Old painful wounds reopening.

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

We so shouldn’t have sold Albrighton though….oh no what have you done?!? Old painful wounds reopening.

No, no, no, yes yes you are right, letting Marv Albrighton go as we did was stupendous, ridiculous business which was typical of how poor a club we were at the time. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

MON has a lot to answer for, but never will, because he ran away. 

Toxic history aside, if we are in the market for another DM chosen by Deano, Lange et al then sign him up. We’re in a hurry so casualties are the nature of the beast. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

No, no, no, yes yes you are right, letting Marv Albrighton go as we did was stupendous, ridiculous business which was typical of how poor a club we were at the time. 

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I like them both but both have weaknesses, as you say Dougie is younger and can be molded into the player we need.

Why do you think there is such a difference between good Doug / poor Doug (i know he's not a poor player before you rant)......... potentially world class for a run to poor in games for a run of games?

All sorts of reasons, the whole Covid & lockdowns situation was hard for everyone but particularly for the foreign players I would suggest… especially the younger ones…

Maybe we overplayed him? Not enough rest?

The language barrier was an issue but was ironed out, apparently part of the reason why he was so good at the backend of the “survival season”… 

Often, he has had too much defensive responsibility/burden and not been backed up or helped by his teammates, such as McGinn & Barkley… crowded out at times…

Barkley’s loss of form was a major factor in our struggles, along with Jack’s absence through injury… things were going well beforehand, we certainly pasted the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool and got a good win at Leicester… I don’t think anyone was complaining about Doug then…

He has quality… Emi usually plays it to him when we start our build up play, he’s comfortable and composed on the ball and his passing quality is great… he’s not hurried or sloppy in possession such as a few other players…McGinn was genuinely awful at times…

In the least, he has demonstrated what kind of player he can be for us with his previous, good form so why give up on him? He should go from strength to strength and continue to develop…

Personally, I don’t like the attitude or desire for discarding players who have shown something. The lack of patience or “over ruthlessness”. It’s quite selective too, some people have their favourites and overlook their faults…

Fair enough if a player is poor, can’t contribute or is getting on (such as Taylor), get rid then, but it’s worth sticking with young players with high potential…

Doug can’t be shit if he gets to play for Brazil… would Nakamba get in that side? If he was Brazilian of course 🤣

We’ve seen, with our own eyes, how well some of our players have played and improved & progressed. Targett, Konsa & Doug too…

I see no reason to give up on him or write him off. Maybe the players around him could support and help him out once in a while… it’s not always the individual’s fault if they are struggling to perform or excel… it’s a team game after all…

Targett had been heavily criticised but he came back like a man possessed! Shut everyone up… He’s an excellent, solid and dependable LB now…

Maybe Doug can do something similar…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

All sorts of reasons, the whole Covid & lockdowns situation was hard for everyone but particularly for the foreign players I would suggest… especially the younger ones…

Maybe we overplayed him? Not enough rest?

The language barrier was an issue but was ironed out, apparently part of the reason why he was so good at the backend of the “survival season”… 

Often, he has had too much defensive responsibility/burden and not been backed up or helped but the others such as McGinn & Barkley… crowded out at times…

Barkley loss of form was a major factor in our struggles, along with Jack’s absence through injury… things were going well beforehand, we certainly pasted the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool and got a good win at Leicester…

Doug is quality… Emi usually plays it to him when we start our build up play, he’s comfortable and composed on the ball and his passing quality is great… he’s not hurried or sloppy in possession such as a few other players…McGinn was genuinely awful at times…

In the least, he has demonstrated what kind of player he can be for us with his previous, good form so why give up on him? He should go from strength to strength and continue to develop…

Personally, I don’t like the attitude or desire for discarding players who have shown something. The lack of patience or “over ruthlessness”. It’s quite selective too, some people have their favourites and overlook their faults…

Fair enough if a player is poor, can’t contribute or is getting on (such as Taylor), get rid then, but it’s worth sticking with young players with high potential…

Doug can’t be shit if he gets to play for Brazil… would Nakamba get in that side? If he was Brazilian of course 🤣

We’ve seen, with our own eyes, how well some of our players have played and improved & progressed. Targett, Konsa & Doug too…

I see no reason to give up on him or write him off. Maybe the players around him could support and help him once in a while… it’s not always the individuals fault if they are struggling to perform or excel… it’s a team game after all…

Targett had been heavily criticised but he came back like a man possessed! Shut everyone up… He’s an excellent, sold and dependable LB now…

Maybe Doug can do something similar…

Glad you mentioned Barkley, thats where it all falls apart and loads the MF and we end up with an overworked back line. A good 10 is going to help Dougies progression at a faster rate, the potential is there for all to see, his ceiling is high, he frustrates at times but he has it in him. If we get the perfect 10, which may be Buendia, then we hopefully see a good consistent Dougie.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Glad you mentioned Barkley, thats where it all falls apart and loads the MF and we end up with an overworked back line. A good 10 is going to help Dougies progression at a faster rate, the potential is there for all to see, his ceiling is high, he frustrates at times but he has it in him. If we get the perfect 10, which may be Buendia, then we hopefully see a good consistent Dougie.

Bang on! 😆

Midfield became a mess with Barkley becoming useless, McGinn all over the place (clumsy, slow, loose and hurried in possession, giving it away), having to play Ramsey just for energy/“legs”, injured Sanson…

I expect much better this season… but I’m concerned by the state of midfield as is…

We can’t just overlook what a strange, disruptive and unique season it was… plus we probably had the worst 
Covid outbreak of any PL side…

Hopefully, this season will go much more smoothly and we’ll see the best of most, if not all, our players.

I mean, the same players we’ve criticised so much were outstanding at the start of the season against Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester, for example.

We perked up and managed to get good results, finishing off the season well, when Jack returned against the likes of Spurs and Chelsea… admittedly, Nakamba did well in those games but I don’t like to see us under pressure so often and we need to learn to dominate (or go toe to toe with teams) and be better with the ball if we want to climb that table.

My main concern is, I doubt teams will be so “off it” as they were last season. I doubt we’ll see such crazy results and struggles for the top sides…

Another reason we need to strengthen as well as we can, to make ourselves more formidable & competitive and reduce the risk of falling away, loss of form, consistency etc.

We can’t afford to be complacent. Other teams are not going to stand still and neither should we…

I am looking forward to seeing what we can do… should be exciting and entertaining. Let’s get that European spot!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Love this rumour. not because I want marvelous to go (I dont) but its nice to see our players being recognized by other clubs. shows we are building value. 

I would note Marvelous is improving season over season, I dont know where his ceiling is but he sure is effective smashing things in front of the back line.

He's 27 now so I think he is as good as he is ever going to be, maybe some small tweaks through coaching but generally speaking he is at his peak.

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Question (to anyone): would you be happy with Marv being our starting DM for most of next season? 

If the answer is no, if we can recruit better this summer and break even on his fee, and you’d rather sell him than Luiz, then we can’t be too sentimental about him moving on. 

FWIW I think he’s great at breaking up play, but very little else. Good squad player but not a first choice and it’s first choices we need to progress. 

Definate no for me. DL will be our starting No 6 next season once he is back.

Edited by zab6359

Very interesting that clubs are looking at Nakamba; it’s actually a tough decision on whether to let him go or not.

He’s one player who hasn’t really improved in the two years at the club, however in the last few games he’s started to show that there is a good player in there.

The decision now is, do we keep him and give him a third season to prove himself at DM? Or do we sell him for more than the £10 million fee we paid for him and use the money to upgrade.

Personally I think any bid of £10-12 million should be rejected. But anything above should be considered, as long as we have the intention of adding to that from the transfer pot and buying an upgrade at DM.

There is a reason that we bought some of these players in 2019 for low fees; and some of those players will need to be sold for profit at some point to continue our new business model.

Saying all of that, I’m not against Nakamba staying and starting games this season. He has been superb in some games, but he needs to become consistently good in games to hold onto his first team place.

I love Marv, he definitely deserved to start a hell of a lot more games last season.

He's the perfect squad player, he can come in and do a job and won't let you down, is he good enough for where we want to be? nope, as much as I like him we should be looking to improve on him.

I didn't realise he was 27 either I thought he was around 24.

I'd be happy to see him stay as a squad player but I wouldn't begrudge him at all if he left, I think that Palace would be a good fit for him.

12 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I love Marv, he definitely deserved to start a hell of a lot more games last season.

He's the perfect squad player, he can come in and do a job and won't let you down, is he good enough for where we want to be? nope, as much as I like him we should be looking to improve on him.

I didn't realise he was 27 either I thought he was around 24.

I'd be happy to see him stay as a squad player but I wouldn't begrudge him at all if he left, I think that Palace would be a good fit for him.

Better dm than Luiz imo.

I would start Nakamba every game.

The whole "He isn't needed against the smaller sides" is nonsense.

If i recall correctly we conceded 3 goals against Burnley. We conceded 3 goals against Palace. 2 against West Brom.

You always need a defensively sound dm in PL games. Teams will have their moments where they put you under pressure.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Better dm than Luiz imo.

I would start Nakamba every game.

The whole "He isn't needed against the smaller sides" is nonsense.

If i recall correctly we conceded 3 goals against Burnley. We conceded 3 goals against Palace. 2 against West Brom.

You always need a defensively sound dm in PL games. Teams will have their moments where they put you under pressure.

I agree on that, he is a better dm than Luiz, he isn't as versatile though, I'd have Marv starting over Luiz majority of the time but as I say he still isn't on the level of where we want to be.

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

I agree on that, he is a better dm than Luiz, he isn't as versatile though, I'd have Marv starting over Luiz majority of the time but as I say he still isn't on the level of where we want to be.

Our winning percent were far greater with him than without him last season.

I think he is getting some unfair criticism on here at times

Â