Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

23 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Sanson?

Different players for me, Sanson more in the McGinn mould.

A top class DM who can play under pressure would push us further up the table then any other signings we could make. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tez500 said:

Different players for me, Sanson more in the McGinn mould.

A top class DM who can play under pressure would push us further up the table then any other signings we could make. 

Absolutely. 

We need a world class no.6. Someone at the level of a Buendia/Watkins but in the defensive midfield role.

We only need two more first team signings to really push on. An AMC/DMC.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Absolutely. 

We need a world class no.6. Someone at the level of a Buendia/Watkins but in the defensive midfield role.

We only need two more first team signings to really push on. An AMC/DMC.

100% this 👍

Haven’t seen any games so far but it seems Marv may have benefited from a years,training and top level coaching. His biggest problem is the fan base, some have written him off totally, others are reluctantly accepting he may have improved and a small minority believe he is worth sticking with because he does have potential to go further and do a job for us in the future.. However he will not be allowed any leeway, no missed tackles, no misplaced passes, no poor decisions. Personally I rate him but I think he will be another that leaves and goes onto to have a very good career elsewhere.

• Like 3

I feel Marv has been given too hard a time despite some really important performances from him last season.

Despite this I feel worried going into next season with him as our first choice CDM. Would keep him as an option as his ability to help us see out games almost dropping back as a 3rd centreback is really helpful however too many games we are under long spells of pressure and his tendency to pass the ball straight back to the opposition hasnt changed and at this point in his career I can't see it changing.

If selling him is required to bring in a more accomplished CDM, I'd be sad to see him go but ultimately would accept him as a casualty of our progression.

1 hour ago, ZL- said:

Despite this I feel worried going into next season with him as our first choice CDM.

I wouldn't worry, he will do his job just fine. Arguably he was our best player against Spurs and Chelsea.

Also i am sure I saw a stat that our win percentage with him in the team last season was much better than without him. Would need to check the stats myself to confirm that though.

15 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

I wouldn't worry, he will do his job just fine. Arguably he was our best player against Spurs and Chelsea.

Also i am sure I saw a stat that our win percentage with him in the team last season was much better than without him. Would need to check the stats myself to confirm that though.

I do overall like Nakamba and would like to keep him in the squad, however I feel he was very well utilised by Dean to help see out games or in games in which we needed assistance marking men between the lines. If we had to rely upon him for the majority of games I would imagine some of his ability on the ball would be far more exposed.

If Douglas manages to recapture some of his form I don't see their being a major issue but it seems as if we might not have that luxury right now and hence I think a CDM is very important.

16 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Its technically true, but its probably biased by the fact that Smith brought on Nakamba to help see out games we were already winning. Like, he played 3 minutes against Fulham, 10 minutes against Liverpool, less than a minute against Wolves and Southampton yet we won all those matches and that was all his sub appearances.

But even if you only considered the 9 matches he started in, our win percentage was more than 50 percent with him.

Edit: I'd also add that we faced a lot of tough opposition in the matches he started in too, with 6 of those 9 matches coming against opposition that eventually finished in the top half of the table.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Aside from his passing and lack of height, he's great. He's developed quietly. I wouldn't sell him, his breaking up of play is class and it'd cost more to replace him with another squad member of similar ability.

As soon as he wins the ball, he just needs someone to be a step ahead of that and be offering themselves for an easy pass. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Aside from his passing and lack of height, he's great. He's developed quietly. I wouldn't sell him, his breaking up of play is class and it'd cost more to replace him with another squad member of similar ability.

As soon as he wins the ball, he just needs someone to be a step ahead of that and be offering themselves for an easy pass. 

He's not that short mate - just not particularly great in the air. 

• Like 1

Think he's a very competent squad option to have but he is not currently someone I think should be a starting player against most opponents. I imagine he's not on too massive wages and is OK with the role he has in the squad as well. Would absolutely not look to move him on unless we get a very good offer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's not that short mate - just not particularly great in the air. 

You're right, he's taller than I realised. Just his build and perhaps timing of jumps don't help him. A few more weights and a few more milkshakes could help there but then it might slow him down a bit from where he really excels in getting that toe to the ball first. 

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

You're right, he's taller than I realised. Just his build and perhaps timing of jumps don't help him. A few more weights and a few more milkshakes could help there but then it might slow him down a bit from where he really excels in getting that toe to the ball first. 

I think the weakest area of his game has been worked on quite significantly since he joined the club - which was quite simply his confidence on the ball. He looked terrified at first whenever he found himself in possession and without an easy pass on, but in the last 6 months or so he's seemed to be a lot calmer. Bodes well for us. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Spurs and I think Leeds game he plyed last season was very good. He is a capable defensive midfielder and though isnt great on the ball he isnt the disaster some make out. He isnt Busquets but probably better than Reo Coker or Jedinak was 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I know people are clamouring for the signing of a defensive minded midfielder, but I think this season will be Naka's breakthrough. His biggest deficiency was his ball retention. But since his first season, he's improved that tremendously. I want him to get the first 5-10 games to prove his worth to this team. 

200.gif

Never been a fan.

But the back end of last season and today.he looked great. Starts V Watford for me.

• Like 1

Another player who has improved since coming to the club. He is strong fast and can really break up play. Also has a fantastic attitude. When he gets tackled and the ref blows he is straight up on his feet looking to get the game moving 

Hope he gets a decent run but the coaching team have broadened his game. Looked great at the end of last season.

Not totally convinced we need a DM though, surely there is a case for a middle three of Sanson/Buendia/McGinn, or Sanson/JWP/McGinn. Surely there is enough industry, energy and pressures in those formations?

Â