Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

Being a world class footballer probably helped Aguero in truth. Also it’s less important for a striker to need to know English. Would argue its much more important for a player in the engine room to learn English. You have far more involved in the game at both ends of the pitch. 

Like I said, I'm sure he knows enough English to be able to communicate on the pitch. Bruno Fernandez hit the ground running at Man United, obviously the language barrier was no problem for him. Same with Petit and Viera. You don't need to be fluent in a language to understand what your responsibilities are on a football pitch, I mean how hard is it to understand the concept of " man on "?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Like I said, I'm sure he knows enough English to be able to communicate on the pitch. Bruno Fernandez hit the ground running at Man United, obviously the language barrier was no problem for him. Same with Petit and Viera. You don't need to be fluent in a language to understand what your responsibilities are on a football pitch, I mean how hard is it to understand the concept of " man on "?

Agree, more important that you’re actually a good player. Luiz is ok nothing more atm. The players you have mentioned are all on completely different level to Luiz. Not being a great player will mean the language barrier has more of a bearing imo.

Edited by WHY

My understanding is the initial english training is around football speak so he can communicate with coaching staff and other players, then they build on that through normal social interactions. It actually takes some time to build up a conversation language and doubt he's attending night classes, three times a week.

11 hours ago, QldVilla said:

My understanding is the initial english training is around football speak so he can communicate with coaching staff and other players, then they build on that through normal social interactions. It actually takes some time to build up a conversation language and doubt he's attending night classes, three times a week.

It's easy enough to build up basic conversational language though, albeit very broken, in a short space of time when you're immersed in it. 

It does seem highly unusual to me that Douglas can't speak any conversational English after 2 full seasons at the club.

• Like 1

Doug must have a certain level of English as it's a condition of his visa, he passed an exam during lockdown in 2020. From interviews with Deano around that time it seems Doug's not the most confident when speaking English though, so probably didn't want to in front of the cameras as others have said.

On 19/08/2021 at 10:40, Rightdm00 said:

One year I played on a team where I was one of 2 non Spanish speakers.  We managed just fine. The language of soccer is not complicated. 

I played as a ringer for Argentinean team in 7 a side. I kept yelling "Time" and no one paid attention. I asked after game what do you guys say when teammate has time on the ball?

"Solo"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think Luiz in particular doesn’t speak English. He stayed there for too long. I don’t think I’m very good at English, but even much worse when I start getting into a conversation. I start translating even the grammar itself. While if I was thinking more I wouldn’t have said a lot of what I did. 
My problem now is that I came to point where I only improve by using the language. I don’t think I’ll go into courses, nor that it would be easy for me to be more fluent. I might know some of the basics, but I fail to apply them. I think one of the things I like being here in VT is that I’m trying to improve my language by reading and writing while doing that about Aston Villa.

Again, I’m not sure what does this relate to Luiz. But I think that only little bit of the language can be helpful to players. A lot of players keep changing between the leagues without them being affected by the language barrier.

I think the biggest compliment I can give you is that I would have had no clue that English wasn’t your first language! 

On topic - As for Douglas Luiz, I am sure his English is fine now. As has been mentioned, part of his Visa requirements was an English exam. 

For a Skilled worker visa, you'd need to be able to read, write and speak to a B1 level according to the CEFR scale.

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/knowledge-of-english

With a B1 level being defined as "Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.  Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans."

Don't know if the rules are different for footballers though or whether they apply for another type of visa.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I have a feeling that certain players will come out of their shells with Jack gone. More creative responsibility, more time on the ball, quicker ball from teammates.

Dougie is the main one. When everything was going through Jack, I think he was often in space but not receiving the ball, and he looked a little bored at times. Might explain the lapses in concentration.

I think this is his make or break season, so let’s see. Big opportunity after last week’s shambles.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Hope he starts today.

I agree. The way Dean spoke yesterday, it seems like he will start on the bench. I get the sentiment and he has played loads since he joined us but I don’t think today is the day to rest him. A good performance is really important after last week. There will be better opportunities to rest him during the season. I would play a three man midfield with Doug and Marv holding and SJM linking.

Expecting a good season from Doug, I think his experiences with Brazil and probably taking on more responsibility or more of a leadership role in the Olympics (and winning the tournament) may take him to the next level… he can be a star if he keeps developing… more self belief and confidence is going to help him…

Let’s not forget how well he did for us and the part he played in our survival in the league… he has it in him. Can be a big player for us…

Might be involved or even start today, he has the best technique, touch, control, composure and passing ability out of all of our midfielders (can’t speak for Sanson yet, hopefully he can make a major impact and show his quality), so much potential. We’re a better side with Doug in it for sure right now…

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Expecting a good season from Doug, I think his experiences with Brazil and probably taking on more responsibility or more of a leadership role in the Olympics (and winning the tournament) may take him to the next level… he can be a star if he keeps developing… more self belief and confidence is going to help him…

Let’s not forget how well he did for us and the part he played in our survival in the league… he has it in him. Can be a big player for us…

Might be involved or even start today, he has the best technique, touch, control, composure and passing ability out of all of our midfielders (can’t speak for Sanson yet, hopefully he can make a major impact and show his quality), so much potential. We’re a better side with Doug in it for sure right now…

We all know he has it in him but he has to cut the casual stuff that lands us in trouble, out. That remains to be seen if he can.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I agree. The way Dean spoke yesterday, it seems like he will start on the bench. I get the sentiment and he has played loads since he joined us but I don’t think today is the day to rest him. A good performance is really important after last week. There will be better opportunities to rest him during the season. I would play a three man midfield with Doug and Marv holding and SJM linking.

I think he should start. The argument that he won’t be match fit doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. He’s probably more match fit than any player on that pitch today. His pre season has been high level competitive football. 10 days or so off. Be strange i feel if he doesn’t start today because really, how can he not be fit ?

Â