Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Bang on, it's hard to know how we deal with him. The player is in there but the consistency is an issue. He's young so you'd think we can get him there but how long will it take is the question. We have to keep him in my opinion unless a stupid money offer comes in.

It’s almost a question of the right player but at the wrong time for us?

16 minutes ago, Strog said:

It’s almost a question of the right player but at the wrong time for us?

CDM is a position like CB where one gets better as they get older. I believe he'll be back to post project restart levels next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

CDM is a position like CB where one gets better as they get older. I believe he'll be back to post project restart levels next season.

I hope so. Dougie’s a good player, just needs to raise his consistency. If he stays and develops with us all’s good.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

If we play 4231 often as last year I think he will benefit a lot from having an all around harder working front 3 in front of him.

The work ethic of certain players ahead of him in the last two seasons was dire. Hopefully that’s fixed now so we will see.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Simply much better player than Nakamba in that position.

If we actually sign a DM this window then can push him a bit forward aswell.

Luiz isn't better than Nakamba as a cdm. He is a much  much better player pushed further forward though.

• Like 1

He is being rested having played in both the copa America and the Olympics. If we want him to have the 3 week rest everyone else got then he's not even due back in training until the end of the month. 

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

He is being rested having played in both the copa America and the Olympics. If we want him to have the 3 week rest everyone else got then he's not even due back in training until the end of the month. 

Doesn’t explain how Richardilson was able to return for Everton though and not DL

7 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Doesn’t explain how Richardilson was able to return for Everton though and not DL

It will be a decision reached by the individual players and their clubs. Seems quite likely to me that Smith wanted to rest Dougie after being away so much with Brazil. Doesn’t stop Benitez and Richarlison from doing something different.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrBlack said:

DS said he is back training Monday. You’d hope with a week of training under his belt he’ll be on the bench for Newcastle at least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

DS said he is back training Monday. You’d hope with a week of training under his belt he’ll be on the bench for Newcastle at least. 

As stated above, Richarlison probably didn't want a rest and discussed with Everton about coming straight back. I think he'll suffer for it later in the season. You can't be expected to keep yourself in peak performing condition for such a long period.

We gave all our players that were in the regional comps (but not the olympics) a 3 week break. I thought we'd do the same with Luiz. If he's back on Monday that's only a week since the Olympic final. Unless he's getting a two week break later in the season we'll see a drop off in performance...or more likely he'll never be up to speed as he's basically just carried on last season in to this one. 

• Like 1

This happened when in the last season of the championship and first of the PL. Hourihane had holes in his game, dropped out of the team, the lads that came in weren’t playing well and the VT clamour was for Conor to get back in. Luiz is a good player, an important one but he has weaknesses to his game which time will show has he improved on.

If indeed he is back for next week then it'll certainly make a difference. As much as Marvelous has his strengths, games like yesterday and presumably next week where Villa have the majority of the possession are the furthest thing from his wheelhouse. Dougie has his inconsistencies and improvements to make but he's so much more useful for these kind of fixtures.

Â