Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 hours ago, WHY said:

I’m not a massive a Luiz fan but thought he was MOTM today. He looked sharper than he usually does, hopefully he continues like this!

Came here to write just that. 

I really hope him and McGinn can function well in those two central midfield positions this season. 

It’s so key to our season. 

Played all summer really (or at least trained) so no surprise to me he's more up to speed than many of the rest.

Will obviously need resting at times so good he'll have a two week break as we'll need him at Chelsea to have any chance of a result.

We also still need a DM.

On 23/08/2021 at 07:48, Kiwivillan said:

We beat Liverpool 7-2 playing 4231 with Luiz McGinn amongst other wins so this argument doesn't fly

Against Liverpool we had the surprise factor in Barkley. We were also ready defensively and other team were set to attack. Same goes against Arsenal. Apart from that, Fulham was a great game but we had 3 CM’s. Sheff Utd can’t be judged as it was one goal but no creativity. Leicester was an ok match but they played for a draw. 
we had some of our worst halfs against Leeds and Southampton. 
But we were more consistent when Grealish came to the middle. It gave our wingers the chance to shine. 
I won’t mind playing a proper CM as an advanced player, but not a winger. Jack developed as a CM, so it’s not as it’s a new position for him. 
I won’t mind introducing A.Ramsey or Chukuw there, or even McGinn himself. But I don’t prefer seeing Buendia or Traore there. Ofcourse for certain games or during a game things could be different, but I’m against making it our main formation.

5 minutes ago, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

well, thats wonderful n all, but Luiz has 2 years on his contract left, so we either need to get him on a new contract or look to get some profit for him.

We dont want to be messing around next summer when he has 1 year left on his contract.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, thats wonderful n all, but Luiz has 2 years on his contract left, so we either need to get him on a new contract or look to get some profit for him.

We dont want to be messing around next summer when he has 1 year left on his contract.

That would be an Arsenal move. Like to think we are more sensible than that.

I am utterly convinced this is the season he finally puts it all together. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe it's that a player with as much potential as he has must nail it down at some point or flame into insignificance, and I am choosing to have faith in the former. 

The guy who almost single handedly kept us up then provided the base upon which our brilliant start to last season was built, the midfielder who was in such a rich vein of form that we were concerned about losing to Manchester City for £35m, is definitely in there. 

Covid broke him last season, either directly or indirectly. Perhaps Olympic Gold will put him back together again. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I am utterly convinced this is the season he finally puts it all together. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe it's that a player with as much potential as he has must nail it down at some point or flame into insignificance, and I am choosing to have faith in the former. 

The guy who almost single handedly kept us up then provided the base upon which our brilliant start to last season was built, the midfielder who was in such a rich vein of form that we were concerned about losing to Manchester City for £35m, is definitely in there. 

Covid broke him last season, either directly or indirectly. Perhaps Olympic Gold will put him back together again. 

Post-lockdown Luiz was one of my favourite Villa players in many a year. Praying he makes a comeback.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Post-lockdown Luiz was one of my favourite Villa players in many a year. Praying he makes a comeback.

I think there has been a generalised bout of amnesia amongst the fanbase when it comes to how good he actually was during that period. I was amazed City never bought him on the spot. I remember going into the following season, with the signing of Barkley (derp), thinking we had the best midfield outside of the top 6, with Luiz being the cornerstone of it. For a couple of months, he duly delivered. 

We know what happened from there, but I myself am guilty of writing him off as an afterthought at stages over this summer. The one shirt we have all highlighted as a 'must improve', and it is in his hands to prove us wrong. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think there has been a generalised bout of amnesia amongst the fanbase when it comes to how good he actually was during that period. I was amazed City never bought him on the spot. I remember going into the following season, with the signing of Barkley (derp), thinking we had the best midfield outside of the top 6, with Luiz being the cornerstone of it. For a couple of months, he duly delivered. 

We know what happened from there, but I myself am guilty of writing him off as an afterthought at stages over this summer. The one shirt we have all highlighted as a 'must improve', and it is in his hands to prove us wrong. 

Exactly, and it's a good job his employers have more faith and patience than us lot, to get him back to his best

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I vaguely remember being almost as concerned about losing luiz as grealish that summer which feels bonkers now. Hope he can recapture that form 

Â