Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 14/02/2021 at 13:58, M_Afro said:

His form has dipped so much since Christmas. I have almost forgotten how good he can be. It happens with all players of course, particularly young ones. Hope he sorts it out soon though 

Only because Barkley has also been in the team. So Luiz is left to deal. With 3 midfielders by himself. 

29 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think he's being left out to dry with McGinn & Barkley's horrendous recent performances. 

Yes, I think this is right, I look at his movement and positioning and he's the most disciplined and its clear what his role is on and off the ball. Others, less so. 

36 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think he's being left out to dry with McGinn & Barkley's horrendous recent performances. 

Barkley yes, Mcginn not so much because to be fair to him he is trying to get forward as much as he can to make something happen because Barkley ain’t going to do it!

edit: see @OutByEaster?s breakdown of the first Leicester goal. Shows why Mcginn is getting caught out.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

No mate me too, the whole of the midfield isnt good enough at present. Traore is in an out as well.  The only consistent performers are Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Cash, targett,  Grealish and Watkins. 

I agree Paul...but we can't afford to carry 4 players at this level.

Doug will almost certainly be sitting out the next game. Being rested, like this will hurt, but this will be good for him. Gives him a chance to refresh and work on his game. He was never the finished article. He is 22 years old and will get much better. Potentially a world class operator. 

I hope Nakamba plays well and keeps Doug out of the team, because I believe it will benefit in the long run. Doug seems to be a player that responds well to adversity. It will also keep Man City away from him. 

• Like 2

Assuming Nakamba continues to play well, I don't see him getting into the starting 11 again. I don't see Ramsey losing his place to Luiz, its far more likely Barkley or Sanson will come in place of him. In the recent games, Ramsey has only ever subbed on in place of Barkley. Same for Sanson so I think those 3 are pretty much competing for the same position. Don't see Luiz getting much game time in that role when those players seem more fit for it.

I think ideally, it was gonna be

Luiz>Nakamba

Mcginn>Sanson

Barkley>Ramsey. 

Sanson was bought because they spied a good deal that they felt they shouldn't refuse. But I don't think Smith was ever going to drop Mcginn for Sanson, he trusts him too much.

Which is why even his sub appearances have been limited. Notice Mcginn is almost never subbed off nor rested. So the only place Sanson can come on for is in that Barkley position which he's also competing with Ramsey.

Luiz>Nakamba

Mcginn

Barkley>Ramsey/Sanson

I don't think Smith really rotates his team. I don't believe that Luiz was "rested" a couple of games ago.  If anyone, Mcginn was the one that needed more of a rest. I think they just noticed problems with the midfield and were tinkering with and so Luix was dropped. With Nakamba putting in another good performance and this time helping us to a win, I think Smith and co will stick with this midfield if it continues to perform. I'll even put money on the fact that the central midfield will be the exact same for next game if I could.

The current preference ordering for the midfield is

Nakamba>Luiz

Mcginn

Ramsey>Sanson>Barkley

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if he regains his place it will be at the expense of Ramsey with McGinn moving into the more advanced role. That said, Sheffield United are a very different team to leads so we might see a complete change of shape. 

Yep, Id be shocked to see the same team as its a completely different game.

We will have a lot more of the ball so Doug should come back in, controversially along with Barkley!

No big problem for me.

He's class but has dipped from his very high levels for most of the last year in recent times.

DS gave him a warning dropping him for Arsenal game so obviously didn't show enough in last two and Nakamba was excellent so certainly should remain in.

This is how you use a squad rather than giving seemingly untouchable first 11 players months on end to find form again which regularly costs points.

• Like 2

We are so well stocked in midfield. Deano hopefully now sees the benefit of getting the blend right for different opponents. McGinn was much better assuming the role of the senior guy against Leeds whereas having Barkley in there with him completely throws him off for some reason. We have a pool of very talented midfielders now, Brazilian internationals on the bench thesedays for crying out loud 😆. Sheff Utd is more a game for Doug, Nakamba back in for Wolves. Rotation and freshness for each fixture. Not that Marvelous deserves anything less than another start..

On 28/02/2021 at 08:58, Philosopher said:

Doug will almost certainly be sitting out the next game. Being rested, like this will hurt, but this will be good for him. Gives him a chance to refresh and work on his game. He was never the finished article. He is 22 years old and will get much better. Potentially a world class operator. 

I hope Nakamba plays well and keeps Doug out of the team, because I believe it will benefit in the long run. Doug seems to be a player that responds well to adversity. It will also keep Man City away from him. 

I'm not a conspiracy theorist of any kind but I firmly believe this bit highlighted will have an element of reason behind why he's being left out... possibly ?

June can't come fast enough.

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I dont think Man City will want him. Hes a good player but hes not good enough for them yet. 

I dont see Man City taking a punt on him at £25m, I just dont think he has shown enough they are looking at instant impact and I just dont think he has shown enough.

I would say however that in the Nakamba vs Luiz debate, Luiz is ahead of Nakamba on every statistic you care to look at (according to whoscored), and despite that the subjective opinion that Nakamba has shone in every appearance (suggesting his average should be higher given the fewer minutes), this just isn't the case.

I like both players and think there is a case for both in our squad, and I tend think Nakamba is busier defensively, but that isnt upheld by the facts!

Just now, thunderball said:

I dont see Man City taking a punt on him at £25m, I just dont think he has shown enough they are looking at instant impact and I just dont think he has shown enough. He needs game time to improve and he wont get that at City at the level they play at, he would do well to get half the playing time that he does for us.

I would say however that in the Nakamba vs Luiz debate, Luiz is ahead of Nakamba on every statistic you care to look at (according to whoscored), and despite that the subjective opinion that Nakamba has shone in every appearance (suggesting his average should be higher given the fewer minutes), this just isn't the case.

I like both players and think there is a case for both in our squad, and I tend think Nakamba is busier defensively, but that isnt upheld by the facts!

4 hours ago, Steero113 said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist of any kind but I firmly believe this bit highlighted will have an element of reason behind why he's being left out... possibly ?

June can't come fast enough.

See, I think you run the risk of it upsetting Luiz. Forget man city, he's a highly rated, Brazilian international who will want to play games. 

Â