Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It doesn't make sense to use last night's game as an indicator of his or McGinn's average form level. There's the possibility of COVID after-effects, the sheer number of games lately, and the lack of help coming from Barkley. 

You talked of stats not painting the whole picture with players before and one thing that Luiz does that often goes unnoticed and isn't picked up by stats, is his ability to pressure players into poor touches or rushed passes. He is very good positionally and does this many times per game and we often retrieve possession from it. 

I am not using just last Nights game, to form that opinion......I accept the Covid affects, are unquantifiable and could play a part.

sorry, I don't see that much, what you see.....its all too passive for me and Lightweight.

Did you see Soucek winning the ball off Ollie, leading to one of their goals, thats what CDM's do?

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not using just last Nights game, to form that opinion......I accept the Covid affects, are unquantifiable and could play a part.

sorry, I don't see that much, what you see.....its all too passive for me and Lightweight.

Did you see Soucek winning the ball off Ollie, leading to one of their goals, thats what CDM's do?

I'm not sure I go along with the covid excuse, we dont even know if Luiz and MCginn had it and if they did whether they had minor symptoms. Luiz and MCginn as well as Barkley were totally dominated last night. I think it would be a mistake to pick the same 11 or just replace Traore for El Ghazi. we were better with Grealish as the attacking midfield player. 

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

One frustration I have is that Dougie is often in space and ignored. Anyone else noticed this? I'd understand if it were someone like Nakamba who is a poor passer, but Dougie is the kind of player who can pick out a pass or a cross.

He can also score the occasional screamer.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Never seen us being bullied out of a game to the extent we saw against West Ham.

And they weren't even dirty. They just looked so much more stronger and fitter than us.

Alarming.

thats true....but if you say that, some folk will interpret that as clogging.

we lack physicality and a natural instinct to mix it.....its been a feature of our game for some time, with the odd exceptions.

We don't see the need to stop the opposition playing, we are too intent on playing oursleves......nothing wrong with us wanting to play, but you have to be wary and mindful that the oppostion want to do the same, and be patient.

Some teams ,like West Ham are better equipped physically, you can't just go gungho against them, it requires careful strategy and a willingness to deny them space to play in......when you win the initiative, then we start playing.

Shankly Once said " you have to win the right to play football".......sometimes we don't.

16 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'm not sure I go along with the covid excuse, we dont even know if Luiz and MCginn had it and if they did whether they had minor symptoms. Luiz and MCginn as well as Barkley were totally dominated last night. I think it would be a mistake to pick the same 11 or just replace Traore for El Ghazi. we were better with Grealish as the attacking midfield player. 

The thing is at PL level you only have to be a few percent down on your usual standards and it shows up.  It could just be a bad trot, he lost a bit of rhythm, he could be feeling the effects of covid, it could be the others around him that are the problem, he could just need a rest.  I think we do need to freshen things up a bit either way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Outrageous that he has been dropped instead of mcginn or barkley 

Outrageous is a bit strong but it certainly is surprising. To be fair they were all awful on Wednesday. I agree that dropping one of the others instead would give us better balance. I expect us to lose again today after being thoroughly dominated in the midfield 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Outrageous that he has been dropped instead of mcginn or barkley 

McGinn has been very good today, so maybe Smith felt he’d get a better reaction out of him playing than being dropped.

Barkley I think is doing his usual - some real quality in attack, but just doesn’t offer enough in midfield. Would like to see Dougie or Sanson given a chance, with McGinn pushing further forward.

7 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Does he come back into the team against Brighton? I hope he does, thought we struggled more going from defence into attack on Saturday. Marv did his job brilliantly but we should be seeing more of the ball this weekend. 

I think we will see pretty much the usual first choice XI as we will be in the middle of a run of 3 weekend matches.

12 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Does he come back into the team against Brighton? I hope he does, thought we struggled more going from defence into attack on Saturday. Marv did his job brilliantly but we should be seeing more of the ball this weekend. 

I think he does. Credit to Nakamba for stepping in against Arsenal but I think Luiz is integral to starting off attacks when we will have a lot more of the ball. We’re just going to have to be very careful not to be caught on the break as Brighton have very much become a counter attacking team.

Â