Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I think Doug benefited from the oppo not being as sharp after the restart so he wasn't getting so harried on the ball and he could dictate play.  He had clearly used the break positively himself too in terms of tactics, fitness and by the sound of things improving his English.  I think he will be excellent next season, if he gets into the Brazil team regularly then we may have more trouble keeping him next summer as he will find getting a work permit easier but until then I'm looking forward to seeing him develop.

• Like 1

It's a hard league to settle into straight away. He was obviously a very capable player that was struggling to find... lets call it the rhythm of the PL. Unlike most leagues, mistakes are almost always punished and as a defensive mid, if you're not on it and leave your vulnerable young defence exposed, the spotlight is on you.

Now, he has the rhythm. He looks like a Rolls Royce of a player. One of the best in the league since restart. We have 3 excellent players to build a midfield and attack from. If we can add the right players around them...

Dayum.

• Like 2

As if Douglas Luiz is in the Worst XI of the season 😂

Can't tell if it's clickbait, or just incredible ignorance.

One thing I think he suffers from is he tends to win the ball quite cleanly, so he almost never puts in those massive 50/50 leg breaker tackles that get the fans off their seats. He also makes a lot of the technical stuff he does under pressure look so easy that I don't think people realise how difficult it is.

Yes he's only really turned it on for the post-lockdown games, but it was his first season, he didn't know the club, he was playing in a very tactically demanding position, and he needed to learn English. Given all of that, you have to expect him to be a star player for us next year, and one of the few players that will make Jack have second thoughts about leaving.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Taylor. Neil Taylor? You sure about that? Jota I can understand but Taylor. Come on. If you can find me one instance of Neil Taylor doing something like scoring either of those goals that Luiz scores (Norwich or Bournemouth), or like that pass for Jack's goal against Brighton then I will be astounded. Even his showboating against Leicester with El Ghazi on the sideline. What's the first thing you think of when Taylor gets the ball? I think straight away "please don't lose it" whereas when Luiz gets it then I think "ok what can he do here".

He had bad games at the beginning however there was enough there make you think this lad could be good. Yes he got caught out at times, yes he has made mistakes, but he has got us out of holes in some games with moments of quality. If it's not him on the ball versus Brighton then I don't see who in our squad makes that pass (2 points lost - relegation). His quality and technique were obvious. The break allowed him time to work on the other aspects, mentality, positioning, communication etc. even how the game is different in England, and he vastly improved.

Yep Neil Taylor, he produced 2 or 3 flicks which went to team mates. Not a fan of his but he produced a few moments of skill this season. Doesnt make him a good player. Just like liuz pre lock down. 

He also did just have bad games in the beginning, he was poor in 90% of the games he played in pre lock down. 

He played better coming off the bench with 20 to go but still lacked discipline fitness and any sort of responsibility to the team.

His turn around has been very welcome and one of the reasons we managed to stay up but he was equally as culpable for the mess we got ourselves into.

Long may he keep post lockdown form.

Are we any danger of Man City activating that buyback clause given how important he was late in the season? Even if just to sell on to someone who will pay them more?

I don't remember it being clear what we'd get in return for him and there haven't been a lot of whispers so hopefully we're safe. 

Obviously cannot take these accounts too seriously; in the replies they even reply to Villa fans saying their info comes from the club. Dont know why they come out with such statements, probably to impress 14 year old fans or something. Well im 33 and im onto you Acura Sports News, if that is your real name, but its still getting copied and pasted to light up VillaTalk

Surely if they was going to get him back this season it would of happened by now.

Another reason why I dont think they will have him back is unless some club come knocking for him with a Guarenteed buy, why fetch him back us to be potentially lumbered with Luiz when he may not still get game time at city anyway.

Dont think city are bothered with him any longer and that's perfect for us, if anything we did them a massive favour by taking him off there hands and theres no guarantee if he did go back his good playing here transfers to there, weve seen that many a time before.

I think Luiz has found his way here now and it would be madness for anyone to upset that,even for a quick buck like city may choose to gain for a sell on.

Who's to also say that there is still not some on going behind the scenes pay off that us fans know nothing about,  it does happen does it not, that despite the fifteen mill we paid for Luiz, may be an extra payment in place.There may also be some kind of abit of pay off per season if the bloke does well to pay city abit more to permenent lay off him forever, we just do not know.

Edited by Dave-R

7 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Obviously cannot take these accounts too seriously; in the replies they even reply to Villa fans saying their info comes from the club. Dont know why they come out with such statements, probably to impress 14 year old fans or something. Well im 33 and im onto you Acura Sports News, if that is your real name, but its still getting copied and pasted to light up VillaTalk

Good old Acura. Why source a story from an in the know informant, when you can just poke your finger up your own arse

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Well thanks for clarifying that Acura Sports. 

Who are all these multiples of people asking them this? I think if I wanted to know if Man Citeh have activated the buy back clause I might... You know....look at the Villa o/s rather than ask some random pretend journalist. 

Edited by sidcow

On 31/07/2020 at 13:22, blandy said:

Yeah, I agree. His quality was obvious. What was missing was he was making unforced errors, sometimes getting caught on the ball, getting by-passed at times. All those things happen a fair bit to players arriving from foreign leagues, or for that matter, lower English leagues. It seems like, from the outside, he has benefitted from some clarity being given to him about exactly what his role needed to be, exactly how to play that role and from his team mates also knowing he'd be there doing that job. The quality he has, in terms of his shooting, passing, ability with the ball will always be there. It just using them to benefit the team, and not to put the team in danger at the wrong time.

One of the things that is also clear post-lock down--and this might have something to do with confidence in what his role is--is ridiculous amount of running and energy. If anyone was trying to prove how much they wanted it on the pitch, it was Douglas. And not to be too harsh, but compare his running and energy to, say, McGinn. 

Watching that highlight reel shoes him winning the ball cleanly so many times and retaining possession. A fantastic trait to have. He’s also pretty quick isn’t he! Hadn’t realised. 

So effective in that number 6 role, and has an eye for a pass too. So excited to see him this season now he’s settled. 

Â