Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Last week it was reported it was not in their plans to activate their clause this year. Now suddenly they are?

I think there may be some lost in translation going on here. I think it is merely stating there is a clause and that Manchester City could activate it. The main point of the article seems to be about of the benefit of a sell on clause to Douglas Luiz's previous clubs.

We will just have to wait and see.... And hope.

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d be more devastated by this than Grealish. Grealish I’m mentally ready for. 

Yeah I'm similar. Grealish we know will leave sooner or later but Doug is someone who for next 2 years could get to Milner level in terms of keyness to team from midfield area imo (then he leaves for Man. City).

One of the things I'm most looking forward to next season is him developing further and become even better so would be a massive kick in the balls if he went.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Turn it down Dougie.  Wait another year rather than hinder your development by sitting on their bench.

There is no "turn it down", he performed well and he also now has a two year working visa after passing his exam in June, which was the only thing stopping Man City from keeping him in the first place. They only sold him because he couldn't obtain a work visa there. 

I can’t see it happening this Summer to be honest. Yes he had a great finish to the season, he wasn’t that great for the first 3/4 of the season, only showing good play in flashes.

He was one of our best performers after the re-start but would it be good enough to break into the Man City line up? I am not so sure, I think City will want to see him do it for a full season before triggering that buy back.

You never know Pep may be gone before then as well.

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Truly the silly season. A report last week said Douglas was staying. Now we have one to the contrary. Best to tune it all out and hope for the best. 

Because 99% of reports are made up by random journos trying to keep themselves employed. Until they actually activate it don't worry.

They can't keep Rodri, Fernandinho, Gundogan and Luiz happy when most games there's only one spot available for them players, I imagine next season when Fernandinho retires they likely bring him back if he continues on current form.

• Like 1

Just now, rubberman said:

That would be a right bugger.  I suppose £10m profit, but still...Guess it was always likely.

If he showed anything like his potential inside 2 years they'd buy him back. He's probably worth more than £25m to us, and in general so they're getting a bargain and we've made £10m to help replace him. Let's see if 1. this isn't bullshit and 2. what the new recruitment regime can do with the cash!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Because 99% of reports are made up by random journos trying to keep themselves employed. Until they actually activate it don't worry.

They can't keep Rodri, Fernandinho, Gundogan and Luiz happy when most games there's only one spot available for them players, I imagine next season when Fernandinho retires they likely bring him back if he continues on current form.

Agree fully. Logically it makes zero sense. You would only hurt the players development at this point. This quiet period while the players went on vacation is driving us and media crazy lol. 

Don't think this has come from the most reliable of sources, the report I saw suggested they were buying him back to then sell on for a £4m profit, if that was the case we'd just give them £4m to get rid of the buyback clause.

He only had a decent last ten games for us, we don't even know if he's going to continue that form once it all starts again and everyone has something to play for and the intensity to games returns, or whether he return to how he was before lockdown.

Would be surprised if City wanted him back for their team, they have and can buy better, for all the money they have they're  usually quite wise spenders, can't see them wasting £25m of their budget on him, after the season they've just had they want to improve, not sign players that are no better than what they already have, or not even as good.

Â