Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Why are so many people saying we should move Luiz. Statistically he has been the 2nd best DM since restart with only Fabinho performing better. Yes he hasn't been getting goals in that position but I think it let's him use his curled long balls into the box more effectively which is how we scored against Chelsea.

I also think that if we had more possession it would let him move up closer to maybe 30 yards out which would let him either pick out a pass or take one or 2 touches for a shot with space so he isn't closed down instantly. We need 2 things for midfield another physical presence in the middle preferably another engine type player who shows for the ball and can win it back. Should help us defensively and keep us in possession. We also either need a CAM or a LW depending on where we play jack. But under no circumstances am I moving Luiz out of the DLP role. You could play another DM next to him but he needs to remain a DLP it is where his passing, dribbling and tactical awareness are most effective. 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2020 at 09:17, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure having Luiz as a DLP is the best balance for us. Think getting in a proper anchor and having Luiz as a traditional CM is a far safer bet. 

I'd have agreed before the restart, but he's really made that position his own since then. He's been magnificent. Seems to have everything required in that position now from positioning to tackling and even a newfound strength on and off the ball. I'd build the midfield around that rather than shuffle him out of there.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think some people can't accept a DM who isn't clumsy and doesn't put in leg breaking tackles.

Luiz is very much in the mould of Redondo / Pirlo / Xabi Alonso - his natural position is deep, but he has the technical skill to go looking for the ball and contribute to attacks. He wins the ball usually by anticipating the play, rather than going through the back of someone. English football has tended to prefer the Makelele / Keane / Gattuso type in the holding role, someone who can really fly into a 50-50.

I do think we need 4-2-3-1 as an option, with more of a natural destroyer alongside Luiz. But when we're playing 4-1-4-1 / 4-3-3, I would happily have Luiz in the holding role.

I don't see any reason to push him further forward. Yes he's got the skill to be useful in attack, but it's not his natural game, and he offers so much in his current role. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

To be fair the three of those were also exceptional footballers - Gattuso not so much as the other two, as well as flying in to tackles. Although I don't remember Makalele flying into tackles all that much. Keane in particular was a brilliant footballer, something which gets overlooked because of his tendency towards bursts of rage.

I saw a stat at the weekend that he has as many Champions League goals as Zidane. He was much more than a destroyer and I'd give anything for a footballer of his capability to be in this Villa side (without the rage preferably). However, I wouldn't put him in the DM role ahead of Luiz. He'd probably fill one of the other CM positions. But moving Luiz out of CDM now when he's probably just played the best football of his career (I will confess I haven't seen much of Girona), and certainly the best of his time here would be crazy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think some people can't accept a DM who isn't clumsy and doesn't put in leg breaking tackles.

Luiz is very much in the mould of Redondo / Pirlo / Xabi Alonso - his natural position is deep, but he has the technical skill to go looking for the ball and contribute to attacks. He wins the ball usually by anticipating the play, rather than going through the back of someone. English football has tended to prefer the Makelele / Keane / Gattuso type in the holding role, someone who can really fly into a 50-50.

I do think we need 4-2-3-1 as an option, with more of a natural destroyer alongside Luiz. But when we're playing 4-1-4-1 / 4-3-3, I would happily have Luiz in the holding role.

I don't see any reason to push him further forward. Yes he's got the skill to be useful in attack, but it's not his natural game, and he offers so much in his current role. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Pirlo and Xabi Alonso? Nah.

They were never able to skip past players and have that drive with the ball when running forward.

I have suggested moving him to the box to box role because i've seen parts of his game where he would thrive there. It has been wonderful to watch the way Jack and Luiz play off each other post lockdown.

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Why are so many people saying we should move Luiz. Statistically he has been the 2nd best DM since restart with only Fabinho performing better. Yes he hasn't been getting goals in that position but I think it let's him use his curled long balls into the box more effectively which is how we scored against Chelsea.

I also think that if we had more possession it would let him move up closer to maybe 30 yards out which would let him either pick out a pass or take one or 2 touches for a shot with space so he isn't closed down instantly. We need 2 things for midfield another physical presence in the middle preferably another engine type player who shows for the ball and can win it back. Should help us defensively and keep us in possession. We also either need a CAM or a LW depending on where we play jack. But under no circumstances am I moving Luiz out of the DLP role. You could play another DM next to him but he needs to remain a DLP it is where his passing, dribbling and tactical awareness are most effective. 

Because he isn't a pure DM like Matic is.

Luiz have got a lot of qualities which isn't utilized often enough when he have to play deep.

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think you need to give people more credit there. I bet most people can see that. And most people have heard of deep lying playmakers. However before the restart he wasn't exactly pulling up roots. If we're gonna base the post restart matches on whether we need new players, one can argue we don't need to find a better alternative than Trez. But we know we do. 

Ultimately I guess it comes down to whether you think this Villa side can retain and move the ball around enough, where a player that has his strengths in ball recovery isn't needed. 

And I think even if Deano wants to keep Luiz as a DM for us, we need to find another more physical player to complement McGinn. Cause our midfield is way too soft. 

The case of fixing it also is anchored in the sense that we finished the season on 35 points. Saying it ain't broke is very very relative. The amount of times you could see Luiz lose possession, fail to recover and invite a counter this season was substantial. At least from what I saw. It's fair play he needed time to get to grips with the league and he obviously developed heaps and bounds from it, but it's a gamble thinking he won't fall back into his old form. 

But he's definitely one of our more exiciting players, so I hope you're right. He epitomizes the type of football I always wanted us to play. 

Either way will be interesting to see what Deano chooses to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

To be fair the three of those were also exceptional footballers - Gattuso not so much as the other two, as well as flying in to tackles. Although I don't remember Makalele flying into tackles all that much. Keane in particular was a brilliant footballer, something which gets overlooked because of his tendency towards bursts of rage.

I saw a stat at the weekend that he has as many Champions League goals as Zidane. He was much more than a destroyer and I'd give anything for a footballer of his capability to be in this Villa side (without the rage preferably). However, I wouldn't put him in the DM role ahead of Luiz. He'd probably fill one of the other CM positions. But moving Luiz out of CDM now when he's probably just played the best football of his career (I will confess I haven't seen much of Girona), and certainly the best of his time here would be crazy.

He played DM in front of a back 4 for Girona mostly. This includes the game he starred in against Real Madrid. As such, this just backs up your comments.

Edit: that video shows his Girona role ^

Think he's capable of playing most anywhere across the midfield, but feel like the deep lying playmaker is made for him.  A robust tackling DM to break up play and lay it off to him if playing 4-2-3-1 ideally, but totally capable of being the sole DM when playing 4-1-4-1. He'll end up being one of those DMs that scores the odd worldy, and gets a lot of key contributions but maybe not so many assists.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

He can be our playmaker, orchestrating the attacks from deep. Jack can play further upfield or closer to the striker and bag those goals and assists.

They just need quality around them so that they can focus on their strengths.

They are both, by far, our most technically proficient players and we need to build & enhance the team around them.

If they are assisted by better players, it lightens their load and extra responsibilities (e.g. Jack always having to come back for the ball and everyone just passing to him immediately) and we will see the best of their talents and hopefully those of the superior players we are bringing in. Most importantly, better forwards.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

On 08/08/2020 at 14:17, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure having Luiz as a DLP is the best balance for us. Think getting in a proper anchor and having Luiz as a traditional CM is a far safer bet. 

I agree with that. Would still look to have him deep but think having a pure DM alongside him who can tell him when to stay or go forward would be a massive help.

Would also mean we could play a 4-3-1-2 as a plan b, midfield trio of new DM-Luiz-McGinn and Jack. Would need us to sign a decent attacking RB though which is I guess the Max Aarons link.

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Agreed. Rather than making leg breaking tackles he has an excellent ability of getting between the opponent and the ball or reading where a pass is going. Maybe not as spectacular as the stereotypical enforcer but equally effective 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No idea what the in joke about the Balague video is (considering the date is July 2019) but though that showed his box to box attributes really well, away to Real Madrid aswell.

It was posted here and discussed a lot when we were initially linked with him a year ago

Â