Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

37 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bizarre statement. I’ve not seen anyone post saying they wouldn’t mind selling him off the back of a couple of recent performances. 

as has been said by a number of people, we're right on the line for FFP. failure to get CL means someone is leaving this summer. he's the one that (IMO) we would miss the least of the key players as has been proven in games he's missed

6 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Read my message as “a player who can play in the double pivot”. We may be saying the same thing but I do think it’d be better for that player to be able to play alongside Kamara rather than act as replacement/back up 

👍 no probs, my main point is someone (esp with Bouba out for a while) who is defensively focused and proficient… defending and intercepting is the main focus combined with composure n the ball and a good passing range, as well as some agility.

We have plenty of players who can play the more attacking or creative role in midfield, it is defensive nous and steel that we lack.

Back to Dougie…

Many would do well to remember it’s because of him, and a few others, that we are even in this position and made this much progress.

Tielemans was hopeless before he was moved into an attacking role by Unai, when he started thriving. He has kept improving and is more versatile now.

We would’ve struggled with a McGinn and Tielemans midfield earlier on in the season…

Bouba was huge too… a big miss… but Unai has managed that as well as possible.

Edited by Jas10

Nobody is going to spend 100 million on Luiz in the summer with ffp. I think priority has to be signing a DM.  I'm.sure Luiz has a great future here but he's never going to be a Declan rice or Rodri.

Regarding Luiz, wonderful player.

When the pace is slow in a high possession team, would be outstanding. 

In games when he is against pace and power, less so. This is made worse when he hasn't a Kamara figure with him. 

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

He wasn't. He was another bang average manager in the ilk of Gérard, who thought we were undeserving of him. 

He wasn’t great… but he was no Stevie G. We are fickle though, most if not all football fans are. It comes with the territory.

Or are you referring to Houllier with the accent on the e there? 
No need for such things with the Scouse clown.

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Stuff like this exposes an ugly side of our fanbase now… starting to resemble the arrogance and entitlement of other fanbases we usually criticise… thought we could have a lot more class…

Don’t like this turning on our best players… we can’t manage with only 11 players too… we need a strong and varied squad with plenty of options… that’s the most obvious lesson from this season and the adversity we have faced.

What happens when Dougie plays well again? Oh, we shouldn’t sell for less than 150m??

Too much of this clamour for selling players and wheeling and dealing… it’s very difficult to replace your best players and most of us don’t have the patience for new players to develop and establish themselves either… one bad game and the knives are out immediately! 🤦‍♂️

Don't bother with xitter

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

He wasn’t great… but he was no Stevie G. We are fickle though, most if not all football fans are. It comes with the territory.

Or are you referring to Houllier with the accent on the e there? 
No need for such things with the Scouse clown.

😀I'm not clever enough to do accents on purpose. Defo the scouse clown who used us as a stepping stone to obscurity. 

9 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

😀I'm not clever enough to do accents on purpose. Defo the scouse clown who used us as a stepping stone to obscurity. 

I would class him as the very worst… at least in the context of the players and talent at his disposal (see what Unai has done with the same ones!)…

an embarassing blot on our history, then again… we have made a whole heap of crap and embarassing appointments… at least that’s in the past now.

Also… not a football manager or coach… just a guy who lets others do the work for him…  sold the club short and was only ever about himself…

Benched our best players too… like Luiz, Buendia, Mings and so on…

Anyway…

Luiz is class and crucial for us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Massively overrated by Villa fans. 

He is but he is still a very good pl midfielder 

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

And he's in bad form.

It's ok to say it.

Sure, kind of did.

I miss 2023 Dougie and can’t wait for him to return…there are mitigating factors though.

Doesn’t mean we’re better off without him and should sell him. Nor should we forget his qualities and contribution to our success and progress.

Can’t be bothered to repeat too much of what I’ve already posted. To each their own I guess.

Selling him to a rival sends a bad message out to our other players , especially Ollie. Emery will however do what needs to be done and we are blessed with having a few players similar to Doug, Rogers being a new option . Whatever happens we need a stronger DM and if we get one then one of our current midfielders has to be benched.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Selling him to a rival sends a bad message out to our other players , especially Ollie. Emery will however do what needs to be done and we are blessed with having a few players similar to Doug, Rogers being a new option . Whatever happens we need a stronger DM and if we get one then one of our current midfielders has to be benched.

What you on about, we haven't got anyone similar to Dougie. And Rodgers certainly isn't. Both completely different style of player. Tielemans is the closest but still a very different player.

We've also already established DL is really not a DM, he's just operating there because our number one DM is injured and the club decided to let our back up DM go out on loan. 

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What you on about, we haven't got anyone similar to Dougie. And Rodgers certainly isn't. Both completely different style of player. Tielemans is the closest but still a very different player.

We've also already established DL is really not a DM, he's just operating there because our number one DM is injured and the club decided to let our back up DM go out on loan. 

You see it differently to me, no need to get knickers in a twist, Dougie lol.

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

You see it differently to me, no need to get knickers in a twist, Dougie lol.

Dougie lol?! What you on about, should I have called him Doug like you because it sounds more manly 😂... That's your focus instead of the claim we're blessed with several players very similar.... You then point out Rodgers as an example which I found baffling tbh. 

I wasn't getting my nickers in a twist at all, I was just pointing out the fact that we really don't have anyone similar. Especially Rodgers. 

15 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Dougie lol?! What you on about, should I have called him Doug like you because it sounds more manly 😂... That's your focus instead of the claim we're blessed with several players very similar.... You then point out Rodgers as an example which I found baffling tbh. 

I wasn't getting my nickers in a twist at all, I was just pointing out the fact that we really don't have anyone similar. Especially Rodgers. 

OK 

There was a point earlier on in the season where if Dougie wasn't on the pitch, we lost all control of the game. He's a very important player for us but is definitely going through a bad* patch of form.

*bad by the standards he set earlier in the season. 

Has been quite a long slog of a season for him so it's understandable. He misses Kamara more than any other player I think. They complimented each other so well. 

Â