Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It would be in their interest for him to get another full season under his belt in my opinion.

I totally agree but i think if a few clubs come sniffing around they'll probably just pounce and grab him back before they miss out.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Think it’s a 2 year option though so if we stay up they could let him develop further and get another Prem season under is belt before triggering the clause.

Most articles when he signed didn't seem to think it was a 2 year thing, most of them just said the buyback fee just increases in the 2nd year.

I think people are going overboard with how good Luiz is, he's had a run of good form over eight games, that doesn't suddenly make him a £100m player, with more potential than Grealish and mean that the best clubs in Europe are going to want to sign him. Lets how he does when the crowds and intensity to games return and everyone has something to play for again. As it stands I don't think City will be interested in him at all, they can go out and buy better, and frankly so can Arsenal, indeed some might argue that those two clubs both already have better.

We ourselves should be looking to sign a DM when the season finishes for those very reasons, if he's still with us and the season starts and he reverts back to his earlier season form we're going to be in trouble. All this building him up only means that if he has a few below average games suddenly people will be on his back saying he's not good enough, as has happened with McGinn and Mings and to a certain extent even with Grealish.

• Like 4

Some of the Arsenal comments on Luiz from there fans are crazy.

Some saying he's not a good player but he's avarage, others saying they deserve to be 10th if they're looking to sign players like him.

I for one hope we keep him and Arsenal can keep there ivory tower comments for themselves.

Edited by Dave-R

31 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

West ham fans also saying he's nothing special...

He's not yet, needs to perform for a full season . Easy to forget him getting caught on the ball and his reckless pass, both cost us games . Think we all see potential but that ain't worth Jack shit 

Man city won't be signing him if we stay up. He still can't get a work permit for them, so the only way they sign him is to loan him straight back out somewhere else. There's no benefit in them doing that when the clause will still be valid at the end of next season if we're in the PL. There are only risks in that situation

If we get relegated they might buy him back with a view to loaning him to a team in a better league, but even then they run the risk that no team in such a league is willing to take him on loan so no guarantees there either. 

47 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's not yet, needs to perform for a full season . Easy to forget him getting caught on the ball and his reckless pass, both cost us games . Think we all see potential but that ain't worth Jack shit 

I was finding him hugely frustrating before the break but his decision making has been exceptional since returning. I've also been impressed with how effectively he has been plugging the huge gaps in our midfield.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I was finding him hugely frustrating before the break but his decision making has been exceptional since returning. I've also been impressed with how effectively he has been plugging the huge gaps in our midfield.

I agree, let's see how he performs next season. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'm glad West Ham and Arsenal fans have had so much time to watch us this season. I support the club and I've struggled to watch the shit we've served up for most of the season, so fair play to them to have endured watching us to be able to rate one of our players.

Pretty funny that as I personally don't watch any other football matches these days only Villa and as a result I don't care too much about other players from rival teams.

Nice to see they have an interest in us though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

He made a few mistakes pre lockdown - but you could see he had it in him to be a good player. Now the consistency has come and looks great for us.

I believe the tightening of our defense is partly due to his new found form. His mistakes led to quite a few of the soft goals we let in. Impressed with how he has turned it around.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Most articles when he signed didn't seem to think it was a 2 year thing, most of them just said the buyback fee just increases in the 2nd year.

That is a 2 year thing then 😄 . There will be a set price written into the contract after year one and year two. If they chose not to take it up then we decide on the price thereafter. It really doesnt matter to City, id imagine they’re relaxed with the whole thing. They can buy him when they like, as they can with most players, clause or no clause. Thats the joy of having the cheat codes.

He’s defensive game has improved tenfold, he’s been our MOTM in at least 6 of the 9 since lockdown. Brilliant footballer, hope it all works out for us staying up and hanging on to him. No surprise that with Reina back behind the back 4 and Douglas infront sweeping everything up; our defensive numbers have drastically improved.

8 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

That is a 2 year thing then 😄 . There will be a set price written into the contract after year one and year two. If they chose not to take it up then we decide on the price thereafter. It really doesnt matter to City, id imagine they’re relaxed with the whole thing. They can buy him when they like, as they can with most players, clause or no clause. Thats the joy of having the cheat codes.

He’s defensive game has improved tenfold, he’s been our MOTM in at least 6 of the 9 since lockdown. Brilliant footballer, hope it all works out for us staying up and hanging on to him. No surprise that with Reina back behind the back 4 and Douglas infront sweeping everything up; our defensive numbers have drastically improved.

This is so true. The only concern is that Reina does not have the shot stopping ability that he used to have. Having Luiz and Reina reduces the number of shots on target but decent shots are more likely to go in. We need to keep making sure that we prevent West Ham getting shots away at goal. 

13 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

West ham fans also saying he's nothing special...

He never will be anything special to other fans because he’s an unsung hero. They won’t know how good he is unless they watch all our games! 

He won’t make headlines because in current role he won’t be scoring or assisting many. But what he does for the team defensively is priceless. 

• Like 1

I think if he leaves, he goes to man city, if any club came in for him, city could buy him back off us and then sell him onto the interested club for an easy profit. We'll only ever get what's agreed city will pay us until that agreement expires.

If he did leave though, wouldn't he have to apply for a work permit again? And a club like city or arsenal he wouldn't be approved for such a permit as he wouldn't get as many points as he did when we signed him?

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

No because saying its a 2 year thing in response to me saying they could buy him after 1 makes it sounds like they can only buy him after 2 seasons which doesn't seem to be the case. The rest is true but not really relevant as we would have a choice and could demand a fee in that scenario. As it stands we cant do any of that. They might even buy him back to make sure nobody else does and then loan him back to us, who knows?

10 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think if he leaves, he goes to man city, if any club came in for him, city could buy him back off us and then sell him onto the interested club for an easy profit. We'll only ever get what's agreed city will pay us until that agreement expires.

If he did leave though, wouldn't he have to apply for a work permit again? And a club like city or arsenal he wouldn't be approved for such a permit as he wouldn't get as many points as he did when we signed him?

If he stays with us and we stay up I'm sure he will get more games for Brazil, then he will be able to get a work permit next summer.  Then City might be more interested in activating the buy back clause. If we get relegated though, it's hard to tell where he would go.

Â