Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

He and Wes seem to really buzz off each other. Hopefully his form will help Wes to improve when he gets back. He is a fantastic little player.

And hopefully one day we'll be saying that Wes is a fantastic big player.

• Like 3

He has the potential to be top 5 DM in Europe he is that good he has everything that a player needs in that position and he has plenty of years left to develop.

I will be appreciating his time here because he has the ability to play for Barcelona or Madrid.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He has the potential to be top 5 DM in Europe he is that good he has everything that a player needs in that position and he has plenty of years left to develop.

I will be appreciating his time here because he has the ability to play for Barcelona or Madrid.

I'd like to see him being moved in the box to box role.

I think he is looking really good when he is going forward and driving with the ball.

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think he is looking really good when he is going forward and driving with the ball.

Then who plays where he is? Over the last 10 games he’s probably looked the best DM we’ve had in years and you’d like to see him moved!?

I do wonder what you see when you watch football. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Then who plays where he is? Over the last 10 games he’s probably looked the best DM we’ve had in years and you’d like to see him moved!?

I do wonder what you see when you watch football. 

I just think he has got a lot of abilities which are wasted in the DM role.

Hopefully we can find someone like Matic who is a pure defensive midfielder.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just think he has got a lot of abilities which are wasted in the DM role.

Hopefully we can find someone like Matic who is a pure defensive midfielder.

He was statistically the best DM since restart. His role is as a deep lying playmaker and moving him out of that would really hinder his overall play. Personally I think if we had better wingers or another engine in the middle (jack as cam mcginn playing deeper) we will have a lot more possession in and around the box which will allow him to get those great shots. But again the ability to dribble and pick out long passes is best used in a deep role because it allows the ayer to get on the ball more frequently and move the ball up the pitch quicker than you otherwise could. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He was statistically the best DM since restart. His role is as a deep lying playmaker and moving him out of that would really hinder his overall play. Personally I think if we had better wingers or another engine in the middle (jack as cam mcginn playing deeper) we will have a lot more possession in and around the box which will allow him to get those great shots. But again the ability to dribble and pick out long passes is best used in a deep role because it allows the ayer to get on the ball more frequently and move the ball up the pitch quicker than you otherwise could. 

Kante adapted really well into the box to box role. I think Luiz could easily do the same.

But currently we don't have a better DM so it's out of the question.

Edited by villalad21

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Kante adapted really well into the box to box role. I think Luiz could easily do the same.

How many Chelsea fans do you know? Most I've spoken to felt he did an OK job there but it took him most of Sarri's season to get up to speed and he's still nowhere near as good box to box. It's a bit of an odd comparison anyway as he was specifically moved for Jorginho, someone more in the Luiz mould. 

Luiz has been amazing defensively since the restart and with him playing well we were finally able to play out from the back competently massively reducing the pressure we were under before. Playing that position doesn't mean he can't get forwards anyway, it just means he comes deep to start our attacks. He still had a few good bursts forward playing there. 

It's all academic anyway as Smith has shown that when he can he prefers to play someone like Luiz there rather than a Matic type. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

But currently we don't have a better DM so it's out of the question.

Luiz has a lot more technical ability than Kante tbf

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

He has the ability to be the greatest player to ever have played for us, enjoy him while you can

That's a big claim. I suspect you may not have been supporting Aston Villa for very long.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

That's a big claim. I suspect you may not have been supporting Aston Villa for very long.

Only 48 years that I can remember but I was going before then I am told. 

I’m not saying he will and only time will see if my assumptions  are correct. I’m well aware it is a big statement, Especially being fortunate enough to have watched the great Sir Brian on many, many occasions, (the person who currently holds that mantle in my opinion )

My point is how many full Brazilian internationals have ever played for us? At the age he is he could end up with a couple of World Cup winners medals and if he remains in the Brazil side will end up playing for one of the elite European clubs possibly winning the champions league and various other accolades  on a couple of occasions. Or he might break his leg next year and never play again, it’s all subjective

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not fit or fast enough or disciplined enough at this stage of his career.

We got to see his box to box or attacking midfield play for 3/4 of the season, it was terrible and one of the reasons we were so fragile throughout the centre.

We then got to see what he would be like in a more disciplined more restricted role which required limiting where he was on the pitch, he suddenly became our most reliable player for 10 games.

No wandering around the top of the pitch aimlessly while the opponents are attacking and being able to walk straight through our middle.

It also coincided with Jack not being in the middle and a more defensive player in CH with mgginn and luiz.

it does make me chuckle that because he is from Brazil some people are proclaiming him to be a football genius who will become the worlds greatest player and make excuses for 3/4 of a season where he was woeful.

At the moment he needs to continue learning his role where with the right team set up, he has shown he has some promise to be a reliable DM in the premier league.

He wasn’t woeful for 3/4 of the season though, that’s just nonsense. The quality’s been there on show throughout. Since lockdown, the team as a whole have clicked, and he’s looked more confident that he knows his role in the system. But it hasn’t just emerged out of nothing - he’s always looked a superb player.

Â