Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Wanted Wes Ferdinand, ended up with Emile Wesley.  Hopefully he comes good, and there is a lot of pressure on him to do well, but I'm starting to get worried.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yup. I hope he makes himself undroppable over the season, but more than being disappointed by his performances, he's just a really unlikeable player. From his first match he was exaggerating every minor niggle and going down easily. 

For a big bloke, he's soft as shite. Don't like him one bit. 

He's not actually soft. He can clearly handle himself when he feels like it, but he seems to have a lot of bad habits that he's developed over many years, that will take a while to unlearn.

He strikes me as one of those players who needs to feel loved. He got Villa Park rocking vs. Everton, and he was bounding across the pitch like a racehorse, absolutely dominating their defenders. Tonight things haven't gone his way, and he's let himself down a bit.

I definitely have concerns about him, but we shouldn't write him off yet. He's only 22 years old, and it sounds like Brugge had similar problems with him when he first joined them. Might just take him a while to settle.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Wanted Wes Ferdinand, ended up with Emile Wesley.  Hopefully he comes good, and there is a lot of pressure on him to do well, but I'm starting to get worried.  

He's the most un-Brazilian Brazilian in his style of play I think I've seen.  This far, and without writing him off, he hasn't been very good at all.  As a back up to a more established striker, he might have been a good option.  As the focal point of our attacking play, and only fit senior striker, he just isn't at the races.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First half I thought he held it up quite well. Probably should've done better with the early chance, just got too much on it when a glance would've done the trick.

I think there's something there but he won't put Benteke type numbers on the table for us. More like 8-10 season man, hopefully some more crucial goals like the Everton one.

It would be nice though to have another experienced striker in the squad to alternate with him while he settles in.

I think we need to put Davis instead of him at Emirates. I think Wesley needs a better service and we'll need to rely on the likes of McGinn to score. I'm not writing him off, but we'll need to get a better formation for him. As our wingers aren't doing well at all.

This is an example of why the no loans policy seems a bit daft.  It would have allowed us to get someone in as another option without breaking the bank.  I can see the potential of Wes and if he scored that header early on he would probably have been unstoppable like against Everton.  So frustrating.  Also if you're going to dive, at least be good at it.

Wes is my main concern right now because if he doesn't score the goals we are really going to struggle this season. Lack of service is one argument but he had a couple of chances last night and he failed to hit the target. If he flops we will be in trouble. 

Not been into Jacks thread yet but wonder if people are giving him same amount of grief for missing like they are Wesley.

I'm not worried at all, we need to stick with Wes he will come good he has the ability to. As others have put it he has some bad habits.

I think Wes certainly made an impact on the game with some lovely little passes and it's on many others head as much as it is Wesley's for not making the most of what I think was a game we could have easily won, sometimes you can get the balls in and sometimes you can't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Haller really showed him up. Looked every bit the £20m or so more than Wes. We need to see more of the Everton performance, even though we're not good to face Keane and a rusty Mina every week.

Haller showed him what an isolated number 9 should be doing. Literally looked twice the player of Wesley.

I don't think Wesley's fitness is there, but he has had a couple of months now to work on that. Worryingly I'm not sure enough will/ desire is there. He doesn't close defenders down enough. He closed their keeper down and blocked the clearance early doors and I though this is a very positive sign, barely bothered to follow that up though. I think his temperament isn't great and when he sees things he doesn't like he ends up switching off and loses some appetite for the task. I like that he shouts at others, Tammy did that loads, but Tammy would always work hard and consistently make good runs. 

I'm very concerned about this signing, just strikes me as deficient in so many areas. Finishing and positioning being the most obvious.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

30 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

This is an example of why the no loans policy seems a bit daft.  It would have allowed us to get someone in as another option without breaking the bank.  I can see the potential of Wes and if he scored that header early on he would probably have been unstoppable like against Everton.  So frustrating.  Also if you're going to dive, at least be good at it.

Which striker would you have had on loan?

7 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Not got the service but has to try and get into the game more.

If he drops deep a bit or we are going to get him to hold it up then we need to get players closer to him. Jota/El Ghazi didn't create anything for him out wide.

True overall but he missed a 5 yard header into a virtual empty net, no excuses for that.

Thought he was poor like the rest of the team, but he doesn't exactly get a lot of service. We played 11 vs 10 and put 5 man midfield created nothing, nada, zilch. 

Wesley got into scoring positions a few times. He will get more goals. He does really well dropping deep and laying off passes as well. You can easily see he used to be a CAM. 

The only thing he really fudged up in my opinion was that weak ass shot. 

At the beginning of the season we spoke about how we were going to have to give Wesley time to adapt after playing in the Belgian league with it being a step up to the Premier League. He still needs time.

People are forgetting that the same thing happened to another Belgian striker we once owned...

After 5 games Wesley has 1 goal and has received mixed reviews.

After 5 games Benteke had 1 goal and had received mixed reviews.... by the end of the year he had scored another 7 goals and by the end of the season a further 15.

It's not a certainty that Wesley can replicate Benteke's form but we need to give him the time to adapt.

Below are the comments aimed at Benteke from VT at this point in the season.

Going to be Lambert's Balaban. A total waste of 7m.

I would be shocked if he got anywhere near 10 league goals for us this season.

Heskey in disguise. Missed two great chances. Bent would have finished at least one of those.

God that was another awful miss. His finishing is woeful.

Christian Benteskey so far

I think he looks like a huge carthorse. Put the playing time investment in Weimann instead in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Not been into Jacks thread yet but wonder if people are giving him same amount of grief for missing like they are Wesley.

I'm not worried at all, we need to stick with Wes he will come good he has the ability to. As others have put it he has some bad habits.

I think Wes certainly made an impact on the game with some lovely little passes and it's on many others head as much as it is Wesley's for not making the most of what I think was a game we could have easily won, sometimes you can get the balls in and sometimes you can't.

Great post.

We didn't have the money to buy a finished article striker like Haller and so we've had to buy a younger model in Wesley. He has bad habits, he's still learning the game and it's upto the coaching staff to iron them out and improve him as a player.

I think a combination of coaching and learning the English game will see his performances improve over the next few weeks.

Â