Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

At the beginning of the season we spoke about how we were going to have to give Wesley time to adapt after playing in the Belgian league with it being a step up to the Premier League. He still needs time.

People are forgetting that the same thing happened to another Belgian striker we once owned...

After 5 games Wesley has 1 goal and has received mixed reviews.

After 5 games Benteke had 1 goal and had received mixed reviews.... by the end of the year he had scored another 7 goals and by the end of the season a further 15.

It's not a certainty that Wesley can replicate Benteke's form but we need to give him the time to adapt.

Below are the comments aimed at Benteke from VT at this point in the season.

interesting point, and thanks for sharing the initial benteke thoughts...i thought he'd scored more than 1 in first 5 for some reason.

the difference is that back then we were an established premier league side. the cracks were starting to appear, and we only finished 15th, but deep down we knew there were 3 poorer teams than us and we'd likely be ok. now we're 5 games back after a 3 year absence and we're all shitting it that we'll go down again and need goals to stop that happening hence the initial panic.

benteke didnt throw himself to the deck like wes did last night either....

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

interesting point, and thanks for sharing the initial benteke thoughts...i thought he'd scored more than 1 in first 5 for some reason.

the difference is that back then we were an established premier league side. the cracks were starting to appear, and we only finished 15th, but deep down we knew there were 3 poorer teams than us and we'd likely be ok. now we're 5 games back after a 3 year absence and we're all shitting it that we'll go down again and need goals to stop that happening hence the initial panic.

benteke didnt throw himself to the deck like wes did last night either....

Agree with that, we also had Bent, Weimann and Agbonlahor around to take the pressure off Benteke initially.

Wesley will learn and improve though. It's just if we have time to allow him to do so.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Haller showed him what an isolated number 9 should be doing. Literally looked twice the player of Wesley.

I'm not the biggest Wes fan of yet (mainly due to his diving) but to say Haller was twice the player based on last nights performance is strange. I didn't notice Haller playing, did he even create a chance or take a shot?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm not the biggest Wes fan of yet (mainly due to his diving) but to say Haller was twice the player based on last nights performance is strange. I didn't notice Haller playing, did he even create a chance or take a shot?

Held the ball up well, link play was very good always finding a shirt, won his share of aerial duals, worked hard and put our centre halves under pressure without the ball. Looked much, much better than Wesley who really didn't do much.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

This is an example of why the no loans policy seems a bit daft.  It would have allowed us to get someone in as another option without breaking the bank.  I can see the potential of Wes and if he scored that header early on he would probably have been unstoppable like against Everton.  So frustrating.  Also if you're going to dive, at least be good at it.

Can't think of any loan forward we could have signed maybe a Shane Long. Does any Prem club have a striker on loan at the moment 

I think he is might down my worse and Worst Striker and waste money in my point of view even i can see glimpse of his potential (Everton and some part of match) but all he need more games which we cant afford at moment if we need stay up in premiership.. this problem. i know he is 20/21/22 he is young as it is about 4 years to chance better

Even I Would give Davis starter even with Archer to bench, with Wesley bench as well ahead to see  Archer if he can performance well that it is better that Kodjia or Wesley play undroppable, it is fresture me.

if we buy experience short term (2-3 years) striker with other good striker as well (2 strikers and 2 winger in Jan will solve our the problem)  it is might good idea loan him to other club in championship Jan to July "learning" course of English Defence style defence. that why i think Brentford we offer them as loan in exchange pay cash for Benrahma. this is might benefit for them and us, include Wesley....   

what you think about this ?? it is will helpfully speed up his development.

only way is... he need stop play deep and stay forward, and learn right time running for header, and focus on header in extra time training ask Grealish and Jota, Freddie, Targett to cross him and he and Davis keep running and header practice all time might help his weakness area,...

He's our most underappreciated player, the way people go on you'd think we were a team that's used to have forwards scoring goal after goal. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Kodjia finished the season as our leading goal scorer, but people will still moan because he has a 'crazy' hairstyle.

Edited by useless

54 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Held the ball up well, link play was very good always finding a shirt, won his share of aerial duals, worked hard and put our centre halves under pressure without the ball. Looked much, much better than Wesley who really didn't do much.

Haller definitely looks a much better player but he cost twice as much, and spent last season scoring more goals at a higher level. 

So im not sure him looking better should come as a big surprise to anyone. 

Just now, villaglint said:

Haller definitely looks a much better player but he cost twice as much, and spent last season scoring more goals at a higher level. 

So im not sure him looking better should come as a big surprise to anyone. 

Yes and no. There are things that Haller did which weren't exactly down to ability but just effort and endeavour. He also looks better conditioned which speaks to the effort he puts in on the training pitch and in the gym. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Can't think of any loan forward we could have signed maybe a Shane Long. Does any Prem club have a striker on loan at the moment 

I have no doubt that Suso could have found one, judging from his work so far.  Going in with these three striking options has been very risky and relied on Wes starting well.  He still might come good. 

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

I'm not writing him off but...........

( insert reason why you think he is crap)

...the only thing he does well at times so far is hold up play, and Davis does that better.

(We really shouldn't write him off though. I'm not sure we are helping him as a team)

I don't think we are playing to his strengths. 

He likes to make clever runs across the box and meet through balls and has shown he can be effective with that approach. I don't know why we are trying to hit crosses at him because he just cannot head the ball. 

His hold up play is commendable, albeit he needs to start holding defenders off more effectively, but even if he does hold it up there is not a player in sight - either they are out wide or there is too big of a gap between our midfield and him. 

It's a real conundrum because he needs game time to improve, yet he needs to start doing the business soon otherwise it will kill us. If we drop him now then he won't recover and that will be a waste of £22M. 

We should either go 2 up top with Davis, or at least start playing to Wes' strengths. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa
  • Thanks 1

Â