Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just saw his dive. Disgraceful

Droppable offence, especially when you couple it with staying on the deck feigning injury whilst we were still building an attack. Factoring in his clear lack of ability I don't want a player like that in an Aston Villa shirt...cue everyone telling me it's still early, I'm overreacting, he'll grow into the league etc I just don't see us progressing with this guy leading the line

It’s very early days.

Lets see how he’s settled to playing in the Premier League after 10 games.  

Some players take half a season, other players take a whole season!

I accept we don’t have that luxury to give him that much time to settle.

You can argue he doesn’t get the service and that he needs time to settle etc. Those things may well be true, but I have to say I’m very underwhelmed by him. He looks like a really poor player to me. 

Hopefully he proves me wrong. Makes me a bit sad. 

• Like 1

I'm seriously concerned. His ability to bring players into the game isn't too bad but my god he never looks like scoring at all. Honestly I think it will be a miracle if he scores 10 this season.

We desperately need a striker in January. 

Give him time, he’s new to the country and surroundings, he’s young and will improve over time. I think he’s the type of striker that thrives on service, we should’ve signed another striker in the Summer, I think they have faith in Davis and rightly so

The weird thing is, he tumbles at certain points when he doesn't need to (and it is embarrassing, I agree) but then he doesn't make much of other moments when he really could have done. There was one moment in the second half when Ogbonna was essentially holding him like an offensive lineman, but for some reason Wesley just phlegmatically shrugged and trotted off.

• Like 2

He was very poor tonight. I was particularly worried by a passage of play late on in the game, he had the ball on the left of the box in a promising position, we had a couple of players in the box, but you could see that he had no belief in himself whatsoever and he failed to do anything with the ball.

• Like 1

I'm willing to give Wesley some time, because he showed against Everton that he can bully a defence. I also think that of all our new signings, he has the toughest task, in terms of the pressure, the culture shock, the step up in quality, etc. So we should go easy on him.

Having said that, my biggest concern with him is that he lacks the main quality you'd expect from a striker with his physique - the ability to score from headers. I just don't think he knows how to attack the ball properly. A better "big man" striker like Carew or Dublin would have already had 2 or 3 this season from headers alone. Our delivery into the box has been okay - yes, some absolute garbage, but also enough decent crosses per match to deserve the odd headed goal.

I do think he's been stitched up slightly, because if we'd signed another (perhaps slightly more experienced) striker, then people wouldn't be getting on Wesley's back so much. It's been a baptism of fire for him. He's handled it well in some respects, but poorly in others. The diving does need to stop (it's totally counterproductive, anyway, with VAR).

• Like 1

He's got it in his locker but we aren't getting bodies around him quick enough and he isn't helping himself by being too static at times and not dropping off the back line and moving into the channels. He just seems to also take up positions in the wrong areas at times, or put himself under pressure by being to close to defenders in order to turn when receiving the ball. We need to improve the service into him but he also needs to help himself. I think it is far to early to be judging him especially as most of the players are trying to find their feet within the team.

Not impressed tonight though because I felt he could've kept his feet and finished the 2nd half chance but tripped over himself and then stayed down more through embarrassment than hurting himself. Couple of times he could've also got shots off also but got caught in two minds and messed up. Needs to wake up and realise you have to earn goals in the prem through hard work and desire. And through being a greedy selfish ba*****.  I think he's going to become a very good CF in the future but our problem is at 22 who's he learning off in our set up now. He has no competition for his spot and that is a worry.   

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Horrible game from him. Again. And those dives of his.... not my kind of a player.

Yup. I hope he makes himself undroppable over the season, but more than being disappointed by his performances, he's just a really unlikeable player. From his first match he was exaggerating every minor niggle and going down easily. 

For a big bloke, he's soft as shite. Don't like him one bit. 

Â