Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

We should not forget that Kodjia was a proven goal machine until a combination of injuries and a seriously garbage manager who had no clue as to how to play him ruined him. We don't need to ponder whether Kodjia has it in him, we KNOW he does and I hope he gets a chance to have a serious run - not just the odd game - in the team and a genuine chance to see what he can do. 

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

We should not forget that Kodjia was a proven goal machine until a combination of injuries and a seriously garbage manager who had no clue as to how to play him ruined him. We don't need to ponder whether Kodjia has it in him, we KNOW he does and I hope he gets a chance to have a serious run - not just the odd game - in the team and a genuine chance to see what he can do. 

i might be wrong, but not sure he's ever played up front for smith. he always got shoved out on the wing whenever he came on

• Like 1

Kodjia's was record was very good last season even after his injuries, nine goals in just over twenty-two and a half games worth of league football. It was an inferior league, but Heaton and Targett aside, all of our squad were playing in inferior leagues last season. Smith said he was going to be an important player for us, and we need him back as soon as possible.

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not at the start of the season and not when Tammy was injured and that's where he got the bulk of his goals .

Yeah just saying. Play him as a centre forward for 30 games and he will give you 10-15 goals every season.

• Like 3

I don't think he's been as bad as people make out. He's not exactly getting great service. Tammy missed chances in nearly every game he played for us last season. Wesley will come good in the games where we have better attacking play. 

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He's not exactly getting great service.

And part of that is his poor hold up play. I mean how many times haven't we seen him losing it after dilly dallying on the ball?

Also missed a sitter against West Ham after a great cross from Jack.

51 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And part of that is his poor hold up play. I mean how many times haven't we seen him losing it after dilly dallying on the ball?

Also missed a sitter against West Ham after a great cross from Jack.

but that was the one chance he got.  I'm not excusing it but hard to criticise a guy who was only given one chance.

I think it's really hard to judge Wes at the moment because he's getting nothing, so knows everything he gets he has to do something with.  Rarely has the ball in front of him, rarely has proper support to the side or in front of him unless he drops really deep and rarely does anything get really created for him.  Yes, he needs to do more, yes he needs to show more but I feel for the guy because in pre-season when he was getting some service you could see some of the talent there.  Yes we can argue about lower level talent and maybe he's not premiership level but until he gets that type of service we'll never truly know.  The goal he has scored showed what he could do.  I just feel it's too early to judge him when the rest of the team arent performing and then expecting him to be the saviour.  I'm disappointed so far but I really feel that until the team settles and we can see him in the game more it is too harsh to really judge him.

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

He's second in the stats for % of shots on target. The issue is he has had only one clear cut chance apart from his goal. We have not created that much for him in all honesty.

We actually have put in plenty of crosses. Especially in the game against Bournemouth. He just lacks movement in the box.

Put Abraham in this team and he would probably have 3-4 goals by now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah just saying. Play him as a centre forward for 30 games and he will give you 10-15 goals every season.

At this level he’s unproven. In the championship yes he prob would get that if he stayed fit but not sure in the Premier League

Edited by PaulC

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

my feeling is that there will be people throughout the season saying it's too early. there will be posts in a week saying "It's been 6 games...6!" or at xmas saying "It's been 18 games...18!" at what point does slack stop getting cut because it's early days for him?

i do get it's early, and i do feel sometimes we do write players off too early, but by and large i think most of us have watched enough footy in our time to know if someone is going to click or not. benteke had something. lack of goals aside, we saw a player there. i dont see anything in wesley except that one of the biggest, strongest players i've seen to put on a villa shirt who throws himself to the deck whenever an opposing player makes contact. he is simply not doing what he was brought in to do. he must have been told about it after spurs, therefore he must be downright disobeying the coaching staff

i desperately hope i'm wrong. i was so excited about him when we signed him. he went straight into my fantasy team....but i'm calling it...he's not gonna make it for us. 5 games in or not...i just have that feeling

Probably never as there are still people that give Hogan some slack. 

Personally I don't know about Wesley early signs aren't looking good and reading through here it's getting very close to the Hogan line of we don't play the correct style. 

For Wesley it is still early so he can easily turn out to be a good signing but there has to be signs of improvement soon because this can't go on forever at some point he's going to have to at least show some signs of a quality player. 

Edited by Stuartc445

Abraham is 21 anyone can see he is going to score goals in the Premier League. Kodjia is 30 next month has a history of injuries. I just don’t know. Pukki has been brilliant 

Edited by PaulC

Let’s not forget his performance against Everton and I don’t just mean the goal, his all round play for that entire match was top notch - so he has it in him, he is capable of it, it’s how we get it out of him consistently that’s the key.

Whether that’s tactics, personnel or something away from the pitch we need to draw it out somehow.

And he needs to cut out the diving, he’s a big geezer, has to start using it to hold off defenders

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, Tammy would have buried that headed chance from the Grealish cross.

Last year we would have been saying "This is why I have doubts that Tammy would make it in the Premier League" lol.

It is as if people have forgotten how many sitters Tammy missed, and how many chances he used to need to score.

Granted he scored a shedload, in a lower league, where we were one of the stronger teams in the League,and is now scoring.

However a question, do you think he would be scoring the same way in THIS current Villa team, in the PL?

Would Wesley score more in that Chelsea team?

I believe so, for obvious reasons.

Â