Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Just saw a Wesley interview where he basically said:

"For my goal (vs everton) I saw jota and knew he played a pass in pre season where I scored a similar goal, so I made the run expecting the pass and jota made the pass"

For reference that was the defence splitting pass against Charlton that Jota made for Wesley, was a similar goal.

Kinda shows how important getting to know each other on the pitch is, and hopefully how much more is to come once the players get to know each other.

Wesley and jota were immense.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

Superb performance last night, I do think Everton were off the pace and I think he’ll come up against more committed defenders but his hold up and link play was top notch.

Literally couldn’t ask for more in that regard, would have liked to see him fire at the near post tho when he had a second similar opportunity that was blocked shortly after scoring.

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where have you seen that?

Not got time to do a proper web search mate, but a quick VT search threw up this.

On 13/06/2019 at 21:09, MaVilla said:

extract from a Brugge fan (i think), about Wesley.......looks interesting.

"Sure, I've seen him playing for 4 years at Club Brugge, so I can tell you a bit more about him.
He only started playing football at 16years old, played at Trencin before going to Club Brugge, so is quite the journeyman.

During those 4 years, he physically grew to be quite unplayable at the Belgian league for any defender, leaving them no options but to commit a foul. As a hold up player, he likes to fall back, receive the ball and continue the play from there on forward, having a great technique to pass or dribble. He has a powerfull shot, but for now, misses a bit accuracy. Something he has been working on.
He's not only good as a hold up player, but has a great deal of speed that's quite unique for such a big, powerfull guy.

Lacks a bit of quality on headers, but again... this guy has improved alot in the 4 years he's been at Club Brugge, that makes me believe he's got a high ceiling.
Excellent pick-up for you guys."

Interestingly he saw himself as an attacking midfielder. Which is probably why he likes to drop deep. This article is a very good read btw. Guardian

Wesley saw himself as an attacking midfielder, but the Slovakian club looked at his power and pace and had other ideas. “He didn’t want to play like a No 9. He wanted to play in the middle. But all his talent that he had was really to be a striker,” Rybnicek says. “We started to work on it and to give him this trust that in the future this would make him a really good player for the international market. Slowly he started to believe and the development was incredible.”

I thought his goal was a Drogbaesque  goal......sure the chemistry was right the timing and weight of the pass was top drawer and Wesley's run was up there with the best strikers......but his game was much more than that, he showed immense strength and grit topped off by composure and an awareness to bring players in.

I thought he went up a few levels to what he displayed against Bournemouth........personally, I accepted that it takes time, but seen a bit of a disjointed affair in his last game.....last night,was so very much improved and a delight for all of us. His first touch and hold off play was amazing....£ 22 mill looked a bank robbery last night.

I think we can safely say he has arrived now.....but I think at 22 he has much more to learn and give.....bodes well for Wesley and Aston Villa.

This lad can be better than Tammy, all down to hard work dedication and the will to win, (he has already displayed that)

Edited by TRO

14 hours ago, terrytini said:

😎

Yes, ........Scout it is.

Have to take my Hat off to you mate.......I was hoping for a performance like that from him......He was amazing in so many different ways.

We could have a real star on our hands.

• Like 1

:D

Wesley Moraes’ transfer value has already risen significantly since he joined Aston Villa, according to the CIES Football Observatory.

Villa parted with £22m, a club-record fee, to land the striker from Club Brugge during the summer transfer window as their marquee signing ahead of the Premier League campaign.

The Football Observatory takes into account a number of factors before placing a value on a player.

These values include: Activity in clubs and national teams, club and national team results, age, position, league of employment, economic level of the releasing club, contract duration, year of transfer, book value, loan status, nationality and economic level of the recruiting club.

And they think that Wesley’s value has boomed to nearly double what Villa paid at its upper limit after his first two games for the club. According to their calculations, he is now worth between £27.5m and £37m.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wesley-moraes-transfer-value-villa-16781854

Not sure this is how it actually works but sure why not.

Another couple of goals and he'll be worth 

Bildresultat för one billion dollars dr evil gif

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, sne said:

:D

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wesley-moraes-transfer-value-villa-16781854

Not sure this is how it actually works but sure why not.

Another couple of goals and he'll be worth 

Bildresultat för one billion dollars dr evil gif

It's all fluff.

Any player than moves 'up' a club will increase in value by this reckoning, as they're sure to have a longer contract at the new club than what was left at their old club. Plus, by moving 'up', the new club is likely to be more financially sound than the former club, and probably be in a better league.

I think last night we saw how crucial Jota will be in getting best out of Wesley.

I'm sure grealish will add to the through balls when he finds his feet again but at the moment Jota is the only one looking for those little balls.

Played him through a few times in both halves

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Just saw a Wesley interview where he basically said:

"For my goal (vs everton) I saw jota and knew he played a pass in pre season where I scored a similar goal, so I made the run expecting the pass and jota made the pass"

For reference that was the defence splitting pass against Charlton that Jota made for Wesley, was a similar goal.

Kinda shows how important getting to know each other on the pitch is, and hopefully how much more is to come once the players get to know each other.

Wesley and jota were immense.

It was Walsall, I said it straight away at the game. Smith also mentioned it in his post match comments 

8 hours ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Great game for wesley and it resulted in me getting blocked on twitter by Stan Collymore. A win for everyone 

Getting blocked on twitter by Stan Collymore means you've finally done twitter correctly. Rumour has it that Stan has even blocked his mother on twitter because she had a different opinion than him 😂 

It helps that Jota and Wesley are best friends off the pitch too. You can see why Dean was starting Elmo and Trezeguet together in the first couple of games. Those little relationships are more important than they seem.

Dean was spot on when he said he knows a lot more English than he lets on. Was very impressed with his post-match interview. He speaks fluent Spanish according to Jota and must have picked up another language in Belgium while he was there in addition to his native Portuguese. Our polyglot genius #9 Big Wes.

• Like 1

Â