Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

No lone striker will do a job for us at the moment.

We either hit him early when he's completely isolated or take too long to get it to him by which time the whole opposition is back and in shape.

We need more pace on the flanks to enable us to get up the field quicker as a unit.  Only when we're doing that can we truly judge him.

• Like 4

Bit concerned that signing a player from club Brugge and make him your first choice striker was the right thing to do. It seems to me we had better options up front when we got relegated. Obviously stronger in midfield and defence though 

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Bit concerned that signing a player from club Brugge and make him your first choice striker was the right thing to do. It seems to me we had better options up front when we got relegated. Obviously stronger in midfield and defence though 

We signed Kodjia and McCormack that summer and Hogan 6 months later. I genuinely can't remember who else we had that these were supposed to replace? Abdomlamor obviously, but I draw a blank past that.

I know we sold Ayew when we went down who I would happily take back now.

Edit - just Googled and the other two were Gestede and Kozak 😬 Depressing memories seeing how awful that squad was.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

We had better options the season we did get relegated though. Central strikers Wesley unproven, kodjia unproven and injury prone and Davis again unproven. That’s a concern we definitely need to address in January.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

If Kodjia is our saviour this season then we're really ****. 

I kind of agree, but I'd personally play him ahead of Wesley and bring big Wes on as an impact sub.

Kodjia not great, but I think he's slightly more of a threat.

At the moment its picking the best of the two 5.5/10 strikers.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

He only scored 11 goals in a much lower standard division - so his 1 in 5 for us is probably in line with that. What I don't quite fathom is the fee - because there doesn't look £22m worth there to me.

Was suggested at the time that the high fee was because it needed to that high for him to get a work permit.

Just now, hippo said:

I don't get why (if true) that we jumped through so many hoops to sign a low scoring striker ?

...there must have been other options?

I agree, if we're working with a budget of £22m+ and have the offer of Premier League football I'd think we had a fairly big pool of players to go after.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

It would be mental if we really overpaid by several million just to get a work permit.

Agreed, but the fee really doesn't make sense.

If we paid half what we paid it still would have been more than what a striker from that league should go for. 

Especially a non prolific one.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Agreed, but the fee really doesn't make sense.

If we paid half what we paid it still would have been more than what a striker from that league should go for. 

Especially a non prolific one.

I think we took too many risks in the Summer buying unproven players from inferior leagues.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

We had better options the season we did get relegated though. Central strikers Wesley unproven, kodjia unproven and injury prone and Davis again unproven. That’s a concern we definitely need to address in January.

So you would rather have Agbonlahor, Ayew, Kozak and Gestede over Wesley, Kodjia and Davis?

Ok then

It's been 5 games... 5!

Â