Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

14 hours ago, MrBlack said:

What did the pay per view article say about Wesley other than expected back next year? Quotes or sources to suggest its more than just pure speculation on their part?

There's been a rumour that Wesley's injury & recover threatens his career. I heard this a couple of weeks back ...personally I will be surprised if he plays for us this season.

If that is the case it's hard to see a way back for him as a first team striker for us Imo.

Edited by hippo

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

There's been a rumour that Wesley's injury & recover threatens his career. I heard this a couple of weeks back ...personally I will be surprised if he plays for us this season.

If that is the case it's hard to see a way back for him as a first team striker for us Imo.

Thanks.

Injury always stood a chance of doing that.  I assume then that we're not forcing a recovery and to allow the time needed it means we write him off for this season and seek an alternative option.  Has anyone ever come back from such a lengthy layoff?

Edited by MrBlack

Career ending in the sense that the career at the highest level might be over but not that the player has to stop playing altogether.

In Wesley's case he's still young so lots of time to recover, but also that he isn't really an established name yet even with half a PL season and a cameo for Brazil. 

For a  bigger name at a bigger club there is always some decent size club who is willing to take a punt and then a smaller one and so on.

No idea what the next step would be for Wes if he can't fully recover, hopefully it will not come to that but it does seem a bit worrying.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Career ending injuries are very rare nowadays aren’t they?

Yes, but those kind of knee injuries are often the exception. 

It's not that you don't get back playing, but you never get 100%. 

My local club had a similar injury a few years ago to one of our 'star' players. He came back and suffered another knee injury straight after. He got back from that, but never looked remotely the same player. Then again, I expect Wesley to have slightly better medical team around him. 

Hopefully the club's investment on Wesley is insured. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

I think it’s very much down to the individual how they cope psychologically with this type of injury and lay off. Alex Cropley broke his leg 3 times and always came back. The big fella will get the best medical treatment available and plenty of help with supporting him psychologically but it will inevitably be a long and difficult road. Good luck to the lad. 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2020 at 00:14, Chindie said:

How his leg hasn't broken there is miraculous.

Probably would have been better if it had.

Yeah, it’s one of those where if the bone had snapped and taken the brunt of the damage the ligaments might have survived... sadly not as it’s such a bad injury. 

Some slightly positive news I have consoled myself with on this one is a PhysioRoom article which uses Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Alan Shearer as examples who fully overcame the injury having picked it up at similarly young ages.

Having read around ACL injuries, I'm happy we aren't rushing him back within 12 months. He stands the best possible chance of a full recovery by doing so.

Of the players that returned, return occurred at an average of 12.2 months after surgery.

85% of players who did return eventually got back to the same or higher level of football.

12% of players underwent a second ACL surgery. 75% of the second ACL procedures were performed on the athlete’s opposite, or contralateral, knee.

Athletes who tore their non-dominant leg’s ACL in the first injury were much more likely than those who injured their dominant leg to require ACL reconstruction of the contralateral leg in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He had knee swelling issues. The best way to take pressure off the knee is to lose weight. Once he restrengthens the injured leg he can start working on getting back to his playing weight. 

• Like 3

On 20/09/2020 at 10:06, sne said:

Career ending in the sense that the career at the highest level might be over but not that the player has to stop playing altogether.

In Wesley's case he's still young so lots of time to recover, but also that he isn't really an established name yet even with half a PL season and a cameo for Brazil. 

For a  bigger name at a bigger club there is always some decent size club who is willing to take a punt and then a smaller one and so on.

No idea what the next step would be for Wes if he can't fully recover, hopefully it will not come to that but it does seem a bit worrying.

Dion Dublin being the perfect example After his horrific injury at Man United

Â