Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

Its the opposite for me. His general play was decent, often good. My concern was that for such a strong man, he’d go down far too easily and sulk at not being given a free kick, plus the more obvious issue of not only not scoring enough goals, but not getting into position to score those goals often enough.

Aye,noticed quite often when a cross came over he'd be around the edge of the 18 yard box.Trying not to compare him to Watkins,but no matter what he does in the build up Ollies looking to be in the 6 yard box.

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

Its the opposite for me. His general play was decent, often good. My concern was that for such a strong man, he’d go down far too easily and sulk at not being given a free kick, plus the more obvious issue of not only not scoring enough goals, but not getting into position to score those goals often enough.

Disagree.

Most times he wasn't even in the damn box! He is a striker ffs.

Wesley is such a frustrating player.

52 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think his general play looked like a CAM tbh. He so rarely was where he should have been, and almost always avoided being direct. 

And that's before starting on his urgency, heading ability and hold up play. 

The only thing I didn't have a big problem with was his finishing. 

Anyway lets hope he comes back strong with a point to prove. 

I think Wesley can be a much better player when he comes back, provided he’s physically and mentally ok. The additions to the squad, the improvements existing players have made and the fact that we are, for many reasons, a much better and more confident team this season can only help him. 

Hopefully we are still doing well and playing with confidence when he returns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed but I think that was more to do with our other options, than how good he was. 

He struggled a lot. 12 games without a goal and 4 straight games without a shot is abysmal really. 

He showed glimpses and as a back up striker, he can now hopefully develop and progress. But I'd be amazed if he ever put watkins place under threat. 

Yes he struggled but the team was also struggling and struggled more when he got injured because of the roll he played for the team, it’s not just about goals although obviously they are vital.

I think Watkins will be first choice but having the option of Wesley will only be a benefit.

Look at the way Luiz improved through last season and into this one, I think it’s likely Wesley would have continued to improve and I hope he will do post injury.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I thought he was starting to settle in before the injury. It was tough for the whole squad with most of them having to adapt to a new league, in a foreign country, where they barely knew anybody or could speak the language.

It was tough for all of them. Remember how mediocre Luiz looked at times before the restart? Same with Trez and Konsa, all of whom have come on leaps and bounds since then. If Wes had had the same amount of time, I think he would've ended up with double figures. Then we'd be saying he was a hit, all things told.

Also, he'll be coming back into a much stronger team either playing off of Watkins in a partnership or coming off the bench, or perhaps even to throw a spanner into the opposition's preparations. He'll be fighting for a place, and that should light a fire under him. If he recovers well enough and we allow him time, I have no doubts we'll see a much better player.

And the more critical among us will surely lay off him a bit now that Watkins is here. That will be helpful to him too, I'm sure.

Excellent post, agree entirely.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes he struggled but the team was also struggling and struggled more when he got injured because of the roll he played for the team, it’s not just about goals although obviously they are vital.

I think Watkins will be first choice but having the option of Wesley will only be a benefit.

Look at the way Luiz improved through last season and into this one, I think it’s likely Wesley would have continued to improve and I hope he will do post injury.

Potentially, he gets a clean slate from me, but I'm not convinced he will show the similar level of improvement luiz did. 

I would say that whilst we did go backwards when he was injured, our play and form after lockdown showed he wasn't that much of a miss once we got our defence sorted. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Potentially, he gets a clean slate from me, but I'm not convinced he will show the similar level of improvement luiz did. 

I would say that whilst we did go backwards when he was injured, our play and form after lockdown showed he wasn't that much of a miss once we got our defence sorted. 

I’m not saying his trajectory will mirror Luiz especially after the injury just illustrating how players can develop and settle.

Luiz came from a far higher standard of football so I’d argue the adjustment was so big. But Luiz and Trez really developed through the season particularly after the mini break and have done again this season after pre-season. It won’t always be the case, it won’t apply to all players but I do think far too many on here and in football in general make definitive judgements of players far too prematurely.

It will be extremely hard for Wesley when he returns and progress will be slow particularly after so long out and no pre-season but I still think he is a lot better than many believe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Anything could happen. A clean slate will be crucial, because the paradigm has shifted so much since January.

I have every faith in him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ben Mee was quite clearly playing the man and not the ball...every photograph of his assault on Wesley shows him to not be looking at the ball.

Should have been a red card....this still makes me angry!

Also, did Mee not have form for this sort of challenge? Did he not do exactly the same thing previously to some other player? 

He may not be intentionally injuring people but his technic means he will continue to do so. 

Wes will not force his way in past Ollie. Ollie is at another level.

However, if Wes can work his way up to a good standard, he will give us another dynamic and allow us to switch strategies in game and for different types of opponent he may start.

Hoping so anyway.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Disagree.

Most times he wasn't even in the damn box! He is a striker ffs.

Wesley is such a frustrating player.

You seem to be saying you disagree, while actually agreeing with what I wrote.

"not only not scoring enough goals, but not getting into position to score those goals often enough."

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Whilst that was certainly the case, I think there was a little element of not understanding the English game.

It felt like (and I'm sure I commented on this before his injury) whenever he tried to put himself about he was penalised, so he started hitting the deck and still got nothing (and rightfully so btw). 

I think a lot of that frustration was simply not understanding what is and isn't going to be tolerated in England..

That just comes with experience I guess. 

Wesley was kind of a weird player. I agree I didn't think he was in the box anywhere near enough and as a result he didn't get that many shots for a striker.

But when he did get shots they disproportinately happened to be in the 6 yard box or close to it tap ins that were often harder to miss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I think there was a little element of not understanding the English game

Totally agree. In Brazil and Belgium most of those challenges where he goes down would have been given as free kicks, so it's second nature for him to do it. I assume they would/will work in training games to tell him to "come on, get up/don't go down, play on, play to the whistle, you're stronger..." and just drill it into him to change his instinct to fall over and moan when he's in midfield and could have kept hold of the ball.

I have strong doubts about him, to be honest, or did last season - I think I said after the first game I went to that season - Bournemouth at home, that he looked like a dud signing on first viewing, but we have to give him time to adjust. He hadn't convinced me by the time he got injured, and the injury will take a lot of coming back from, but I hope he does, I hope he adjusts and I wish him well. He just didn't look like a goal threat remotely enough times for my liking and didn't look like the sort of player who ever would do. But I'm just a fan who doesn't know what he's talking about half the time.

• Like 2

Â