Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

He’s young, so always helps with recovery, but the challenge is getting the mobility and confidence back when running and making lateral movements. His fitness, speed are all impacted on and can take several months to get back close to where he was. When he’s back he’ll be on the bench and may take to Xmas before he’s 100%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

He’s young, so always helps with recovery, but the challenge is getting the mobility and confidence back when running and making lateral movements. His fitness, speed are all impacted on and can take several months to get back close to where he was. When he’s back he’ll be on the bench and may take to Xmas before he’s 100%.

I thought it was target Xmas anyway. If there is any substance to this rumour - it's going to way beyond Xmas before he is available.

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

I thought it was target Xmas anyway. If there is any substance to this rumour - it's going to way beyond Xmas before he is available.

Wasn’t aware there was a rumour, it’s just what the process is with these type of injuries. The club would be the only ones who know where he is at, but it will be largely down to how quickly he gets his fitness and confidence back.

I think he is going to be really useful for us. Throughout the final weeks of the season he was always around the team and he was taking part in the celebrations on the final day as well. To me that suggests that he is probably closer to a return rather than getting further away from it. Maybe there has been a setback that we haven’t been made aware of yet - but he doesn’t strike me as someone who would be to impacted by his injury psychologically - he’s been through too much to get to this stage in has career to let it. 

One of my fav players alongside Grealish and Luiz. 

Edited by Tayls

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

I think he is going to be really useful for us. Throughout the final weeks of the season he was always around the team and he was taking part in the celebrations on the final day as well. To me that suggests that he is probably closer to a return rather than getting further away from it. Maybe there has been a setback that we haven’t been made aware of yet - but he doesn’t strike me as someone who would be to impacted by his injury psychologically - he’s been through too much to get to this stage in has career to let it. 

One of my fav players alongside Grealish and Luiz. 

From his Instagram it appears like he’s still in Brazil. That would indicate to me he’s not near returning to action 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

he gets a clean slate from me when he returns. It will be much better for us and him, if he is 3rd choice and we ease him back. 

Then next season see if he is capable of pushing on.

In an ideal world he comes back in November or December and gets some games under his belt I'd then loan him out to Belgium or another minor league where he can get starts and get his confidence back and then he's fully up to speed for 21/22. Would loan out Davis for six months and get him back in January.

Way some talk on here though it's like he's a serious option for this season so don't think some realise how serious this injury is and how far he is off returning e.g. just get in one striker as Wesley will be back soon.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 00:04, hippo said:

Beyond christmas sounds a long time to me, are there many other examples of players with similar injuries who have been out for much longer than a year?

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Beyond christmas sounds a long time to me, are there many other examples of players with similar injuries who have been out for much longer than a year?

Depay had a similar injury a couple weeks earlier than Wesley and was back for the CL. But wesley has about 50lbs on depay and his injury was his pcl and has existing leg issues so I wouldn't be surprised to see it take an extra 3 months. Also depay was rushed back to play in the CL probably was not a great decision. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DCJonah said:

he gets a clean slate from me when he returns. It will be much better for us and him, if he is 3rd choice and we ease him back. 

I agree, I think this scenario eases him back in and may be less pressure on him too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This is where I am with him total clean slate when he returns. He annoys the hell out of me, he should be an absolute bully on the pitch but has been an absolute fanny at times if he could just man up I think he can potentially do well. Being down the pecking order may really benefit him I think.

On 06/09/2020 at 01:50, MotoMkali said:

Depay had a similar injury a couple weeks earlier than Wesley and was back for the CL. But wesley has about 50lbs on depay and his injury was his pcl and has existing leg issues so I wouldn't be surprised to see it take an extra 3 months. Also depay was rushed back to play in the CL probably was not a great decision. 

If they tore different ligaments then the injuries were not similar. Maybe how they occured was but the prognosis and rehab will have been completely different.

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

If they tore different ligaments then the injuries were not similar. Maybe how they occured was but the prognosis and rehab will have been completely different.

They have a similar time frame for recovery and they are both knee ligaments. Tearing your pcl is a very rare injury in football and therefore an ACL is the closest equivalent. 

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

They have a similar time frame for recovery and they are both knee ligaments. Tearing your pcl is a very rare injury in football and therefore an ACL is the closest equivalent. 

Was it really a PCL injury and not ACL? I thought I read at the time it was ACL, which has a standard recovery time of 9-12 months and is much more common as you mentioned. 

PCL tear is a very rare injury because it's a very thick ligament and is very difficult to snap it. Usually happens in car crashes and the like. Good thing is that recovery from it should be quicker than from an ACL injury and athletes generally don't have setbacks and complications from it, from what I know. 

5 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Was it really a PCL injury and not ACL? I thought I read at the time it was ACL, which has a standard recovery time of 9-12 months and is much more common as you mentioned. 

PCL tear is a very rare injury because it's a very thick ligament and is very difficult to snap it. Usually happens in car crashes and the like. Good thing is that recovery from it should be quicker than from an ACL injury and athletes generally don't have setbacks and complications from it, from what I know. 

It is quite common in basketball likely due to heavy impacts and larger size. But yeah I think it was his pcl as as the rupture probably due to his large size and existing leg troubles it may have been easier to injure than normal. 

Â