Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

us and Bournemouth being at odds on the season restarting doesn't make sense

It really doesn’t, Bournemouth won’t go down because of GD, we could have the PPG **** and go down.

So us saying we want to continue the season (when we’re sure others will say no, and that it won’t be played anyway) will only make our legal position stronger.

Thats why even Norwich weren’t there, I assume that they’d do as we’ve done which is clever.

13 minutes ago, BigJim said:

What I believe to be a reliable source has told me the plan is for all PL games to be played in June at St George's Park bcd with 2 or 3 games being streamed for TV daily. Players isolated in local hotels (where they will be the only guests) away from friends and family for the duration.

Horrible idea, but as I say I believe the source is sound.

Really I thought they had given up on St. George’s park and were now looking at neutral grounds outside built up areas 

43 minutes ago, BigJim said:

What I believe to be a reliable source has told me the plan is for all PL games to be played in June at St George's Park bcd with 2 or 3 games being streamed for TV daily. Players isolated in local hotels (where they will be the only guests) away from friends and family for the duration.

It is indeed a horribly, ludicrous idea.

So players would need to isolate away from their families for a month in order to play a sport?

Then after completing the season would they need a further 14 days quarantine to be sure they hadn't contracted Covid-19?

What would happen if just one player got the virus a week into the games?

In my opinion an idiotic idea fuelled by money and not intellect. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There was nothing wrong with the MMR vaccine.   Nothing at all.  A crackpot doctor* said it was dangerous and the press latched onto it and kept repeating the story and asking questions of the Government. It was like the biggest disinformation case before social media took bullshit to a whole new level. 

And now diseases like measels are actually making a comeback because so many people believed the story. 

* I watched a program recently about an anti vaccine movement which is getting big in America and guess who was at the centre of it all providing the "scientific" case? The same doctor who was scaremongering about MMR in the 90s.  He's basically a medical version of David Ike and it's tragic the press latched onto him and gave him oxygen. His misinformation is obviously still alive and kicking. 

His name is Andrew Wakefield. Go take a look at his Wikipedia page, it's quite shocking. 

I totally agree with you there is nothing wrong with it but at least scientists had mass statatistics to prove it ,with this “new vaccine”they won’t have had time to fully test it.Sosome people will say it can harm you.

The biggest difficulty is going to be any affect it may or may not have on pregnant women.That is going to take years to find out if can affect a foetus in any way.If there is a doubt you won’t be able to give it to any woman 16-45 in case they might be pregnant.

I need this vaccine to be able to go back to work so I hope I am wrong with these negative thoughts.

I agree it's a joke scenario, the PL are making it up on a daily basis.

Government needs to step in and say enough, deaths are still high, infections too. Sport can wait until 2021 as far as I'm concerned, it's of little importance! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigJim said:

That’s been doing the rounds for a while and was talked about on here a couple of day’s ago.

I think what will prevent football being played anytime soon will be the testing of vaccines and, more importantly, companies being assured that there will be no side effects. That is what usually holds up production and distribution.

I would be surprised if any company would want to be responsible for producing a vaccine that produces harmful side effects in the future. That is why I think no vaccine will be available for some time.

• Like 2

I honestly believe football in england will restart and every other nation will cancel.

The govt will recommend sport can be restarted.

It all stems from a unique arrogance of this country and those 'stiff upper lip' comments...plus a desperation from the uk media for liverpool to be crowned champions

30 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I honestly believe football in england will restart and every other nation will cancel.

The govt will recommend sport can be restarted.

It all stems from a unique arrogance of this country and those 'stiff upper lip' comments...plus a desperation from the uk media for liverpool to be crowned champions

Completely agree.

But we DID win the war. Don't forget that. 

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Have to say, I am now starting to miss the football. The weather at the moment reminds me of the run we had in the championship. Will be so huge if the season is voided and we get another stab at it. 

I went up to Bolton. Absolute belter of a day and a fabulous performance/result. 

• Like 1

Koln had 3 players come down with it ( Apparently the physio has it and was in contact with 12 players) ,but this is with teams training in groups so in a worse case scenario imagine all your keepers training in a group come down with it and are quarantined for 14 days ,what the hell you supposed to do then for 2-3 games ? 

16 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Koln had 3 players come down with it ( Apparently the physio has it and was in contact with 12 players) ,but this is with teams training in groups so in a worse case scenario imagine all your keepers training in a group come down with it and are quarantined for 14 days ,what the hell you supposed to do then for 2-3 games ? 

Use one of our other 5 ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BigJim said:

A similar thing was mentioned on a rugby podcast for their premiership, so I would say it’s definitely an idea that has been discussed with The government 

It's worth considering that St George's Park wouldn't necessarily be the only option for the behind closed doors training ground scenario - most Premier league clubs have training grounds now that have facilities similar to those at St Georges - and some have better hotel access than is available in Burton.

I do think Bundesliga will restart pretty soon.

And if it goes well there is no reason to void anything. England is a bit behind Germany but only weeks.

Edited by villalad21

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

A similar thing was mentioned on a rugby podcast for their premiership, so I would say it’s definitely an idea that has been discussed with The government 

Rugby will be even more dangerous to get going, scrums for example would be a lot more dangerous for players picking it up. You wouldn't get that many football players in the same spot at same time

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I do think Bundesliga will restart pretty soon.

And if it goes well there is no reason to void anything. England is a bit behind Germany but only weeks.

They have

1/4 of the deaths

1/4 of current active cases

Done twice as many tests

Yet their population is 20% higher

They were at 120k tests a month ago, we’ve only just got to 100k.  They tested early and strong, we didn’t.

They did a much better job than us so not only are they a few weeks ahead of us (or more) but also a lot better controlled.  I’m guessing we are at least a month or so behind them and with this virus, catching up that lost time is fruitless.

• Like 2